Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD quote:

Hey guys, thought I'd start a single thread to hold all the EI discussions. Seems like we've had a few thread hijackings elsewhere.

I'll kick it off, with my understanding of the process of applying.
- Request an access code, wait 5-10 days for snail mail to arrive
- Download ROE
- Apply
- Wait several weeks before you get a response.

- Profit??!!

Does that sound about right?

I see you are supposed to apply within thirty days of being laid off. Seems like that means you should request that access code right away, so you aren't up against the deadline.

Anyone else have tips, tricks, or questions about EI?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-15-2015 04:18 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

nzwasp
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Here is the only trick that exists for getting through on the phone: When you dial 1-800-206-7218 you press '0' at the menu for an agent. When you get the message about call volume is too high, you press '1' which takes you back to the main menu. You choose '0' again, and then '1' again if it's still not letting you in. Just 1 and 0 until it lets you wait on hold. Then leave it on speakerphone as you wait.

Old Post 10-15-2015 04:37 PM
nzwasp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nzwasp Click here to Send nzwasp a Private Message Find more posts by nzwasp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

That's great to know.
Is there any advantage to using the phone system instead of online?

Old Post 10-15-2015 04:50 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dandia89
Neutral

What I drive: TL
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

when you get laid off, read the severance package. mine indicated my ROE as "quit" which made me ineligible for EI. I had to get HR call service canada to alter my ruling. Some employers send the ROE directly to service canada, some make you do it. figure that out right away. It makes the process quicker

Old Post 10-15-2015 04:51 PM
dandia89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dandia89 Click here to Send dandia89 a Private Message Find more posts by dandia89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickyh
Neutral

What I drive: 2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

another phone tip, start calling at 8am MST, there is a recording saying the phone line opens at 8:30 but I once got through at 8:15 or so and only waited on hold for 10min vs calling at 8:30 and having a 45min + wait time, I also called on a Wednesday. I don't know if that did the trick or was just a fluke but it took me two weeks of calling and sitting on hold being disconnected after waiting on hold to get through.

The service Canada centre is useless as they often refer you to call the 1-800#

Old Post 10-15-2015 05:00 PM
nickyh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickyh Click here to Send nickyh a Private Message Find more posts by nickyh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Pretty close Peter. Although from experience you don't HAVE to apply within 30 days of being unemployed, but I did find doing within 30 days got a quicker response time. As well neither time was I required to mail in or submit an ROE, every company I have worked at does digital so they have them on file.

And the online system is quick/easy. Shows all your claim info, messages, outstanding items, etc etc. Then every second friday its a couple simple questions, all no's and one yes. Then it goes smooth. Only time I had to call in was when a company sent me a delayed incentive check, and I clicked the "other payment section" to be safe, unfortunately it counted as my entire EI for that two week period.

But otherwise just be very honest if you leave the country is my only advice from some bad friend/acquaintances stories...

Old Post 10-15-2015 05:03 PM
colinxx235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lint
Second Gear

What I drive: Ecoboost
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (72)
User Rating: 120%

quote:

Calling on a wednesday is better than calling on a monday if you need to phone in.

Old Post 10-15-2015 05:42 PM
lint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lint Click here to Send lint a Private Message Find more posts by lint Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graham_A_M
Fourth Gear

Location: YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
What I drive: 12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.
Posts/Day: 1.42
Trader Rating: (43)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Oddly mine stopped about 6 weeks ago, when I tried to fill out a biweekly report on my phone stating my status as an unemployed hobo, it said I don't have an active claim anymore and as a result I no longer can get benefits.

So I have to go to a claims office and see what's happening. Definitely strange. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the loss of earnings up until now. . I tried calling it in to speak to a person, but with the 45 minute wait times, it's happened before that after holding for that entire time, for the call just to be dropped along the way, which is exceptionally frustrating.

Old Post 10-15-2015 05:44 PM
Graham_A_M is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Graham_A_M Click here to Send Graham_A_M a Private Message Find more posts by Graham_A_M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Did my application online today, and had no issues. I had been waiting, as I thought it would be helpful to have a copy of my ROE, which was submitted online, and I hadn`t seen. Was having trouble downloading it from Service Canada. Decided that I need to get the ball moving, and submitted my application without it. Service Canada should have a copy, even if I don`t.

Old Post 10-17-2015 11:30 PM
urbannomad

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

Old Post 10-18-2015 02:06 AM
urbannomad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbannomad Click here to Send urbannomad a Private Message Find more posts by urbannomad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

It's not complicated, every week you fill out a very simple online questionnaire. The weeks you're out of town, specify that. You don't receive benefits those weeks. They resume when you're back.

Old Post 10-18-2015 02:45 AM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by urbannomad
I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

fill out the report saying you left country on the exact days you were gone. yes, you will not receive any money. It is much better than lying and getting caught. They can forfeit your EI benefits if they want to based upon that

Old Post 10-18-2015 06:03 PM
colinxx235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leftwing
Neutral

What I drive: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Posts/Day: 0.10

quote:

If you know that you will be laid off on a certain date, can you start the process of signing up for EI in advance so when you are laid off you have everything sorted out and can start receiving payments immediately?

Old Post 10-18-2015 11:19 PM
leftwing is online now Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

I don't think you can apply until you have been laid off. Also, there is a two week waiting period at a bare minimum. So you can't get paid for those two weeks.

No idea what the processing time is these days, I'll let you kkow when I get my first payment.

Old Post 10-18-2015 11:56 PM
J.M.
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Apply the last day you go to work. That's what I did in 2012 lol

Old Post 10-19-2015 12:35 AM
J.M. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.M. Click here to Send J.M. a Private Message Find more posts by J.M. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

Old Post 10-20-2015 02:42 AM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Brent.ff
Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

Yup, I got dinged for that too. Work was crazy and couldn't use it, and then got punished for it.

Old Post 10-20-2015 03:18 AM
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

Guess I can't bitch as I found a job, but was annoyed by the system..

Old Post 10-20-2015 03:23 AM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early

Old Post 10-21-2015 05:59 AM
Hero_X is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hero_X Click here to Send Hero_X a Private Message Find more posts by Hero_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kobe
Second Gear

What I drive: Eclipse
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Hero_X
Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early

From when I was on EI that was random, didn't get it first two years and then they made me go at 8am the 3rd year I was on it.. (Seasonal construction job)

It wasn't really showing them where you worked but more on how to apply for jobs and shit, it was pretty stupid but you are required to go..

Originally posted by beemerm3
so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Old Post 10-21-2015 07:31 AM
Kobe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kobe Click here to Send Kobe a Private Message Find more posts by Kobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:32 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: