Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

Author
Thread
Grecy

What I drive: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa quote:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove my Jeep Wrangler from Alaska to Argentina
(Beyond.ca thread here )

After that adventure I sold my little Jeep and have been living and working in Whitehorse, Yukon. I've been saving and dreaming for those years of my next adventure.

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my new, 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

The announcement and my thoughts are on my site here: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I learned a lot during my two years on the Pan American Highway - I learned about where I want to go, and what kind of vehicle I want to do it in.
With that in mind, I'm building my Jeep into a self-contained house on wheels.

I started with the interior - turning into a fully camperised rig:

All the details and progress shots of that are here:
http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

I also decided I want a diesel engine for this adventure, and the custom conversion to a Mercedes 3.0 Turbo Diesel is almost complete

Details and progress shots of that and all the other work I've been doing to the Jeep can be found at http://theroadchoseme.com/jk-merced...ersion-progress and http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-progress-again

In a couple of weeks I'm heading down to California to finish the Jeep build, then I'll get to the East Coast, ship the Jeep to Europe and drive down into Morocco in late December.

If there is interest here, I'll keep posting the progress of the Jeep build, and the actual adventure. Feel free to ask any questions you have, I really want to help other people get out there an live their dreams!

-Dan

--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2015 11:52 PM
Grecy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grecy Click here to Send Grecy a Private Message Visit Grecy's homepage! Find more posts by Grecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

OU812
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Mad Jelly!!

Subscribed

Loved last thread can't wait for this one.

May it will be a epic as the landcruiser through the Congo!!

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:19 AM
OU812 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OU812 Click here to Send OU812 a Private Message Find more posts by OU812 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Why did you choose to custom build a Jeep with a Mercedes engine instead of buying something that is already purpose built for this trip such as a land cruiser? Toyota mechanics and parts are common in Africa, and land cruisers are probably easier to customize for living in. A frankenjeep seems like an unnecessary cost and risk.

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:26 AM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

What I drive: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Posts/Day: 0.00

quote:

Originally posted by OU812

Loved last thread can't wait for this one.

May it will be a epic as the landcruiser through the Congo!!

Glad to have you on board for another one!

Funny you should mention the Congo - getting a visa for Angola is extremely hard, bordering on impossible. If I have to, I'll wind up following a similar route to Frederik and Josephine through the DRC.

Originally posted by kaput
Why did you choose to custom build a Jeep with a Mercedes engine instead of buying something that is already purpose built for this trip such as a land cruiser? Toyota mechanics and parts are common in Africa, and land cruisers are probably easier to customize for living in. A frankenjeep seems like an unnecessary cost and risk.

There are a whole bunch of reasons - for starters I grew up in Australia and land cruisers and rovers are a dime a dozen, I find them kind of boring to be honest. That, and they've been driven around Africa ten million times.
As far as I can tell, nobody has ever driven a Wrangler around Africa (I found one guy that drove down the West Coast last year in a stock JK)

Also, it's not possible to get good cruisers and Defenders in North America, and it's a pain to register, insure and get a carnet de passage for a vehicle in a country you don't live in.

Finally, and most importantly, I think the Jeep has way more character and will be way more fun

-Dan

--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:35 AM
Grecy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grecy Click here to Send Grecy a Private Message Visit Grecy's homepage! Find more posts by Grecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24

quote:

Originally posted by Grecy

As far as I can tell, nobody has ever driven a Wrangler around Africa (I found one guy that drove down the West Coast last year in a stock JK)

There's probably a good reason for that

Best of luck!

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:44 AM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

YES! Subscribed.

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:52 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

WHOOP! Good Luck Dan. I didn't get the chance but you know my buddy Jared Marley.

Cant wait to read more.

Old Post 11-17-2015 12:59 AM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Love this.

Old Post 11-17-2015 03:12 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xnvy
Second Gear

What I drive: Horse
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Subbed

Old Post 11-17-2015 08:43 AM
xnvy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnvy Click here to Send xnvy a Private Message Find more posts by xnvy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

loved reading about the last trip.

Old Post 11-17-2015 08:58 AM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic_stylez
Second Gear

What I drive: starts with a screwdriver...
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Way to live life to the fullest dude! Cant wait to see this!

Old Post 11-17-2015 02:28 PM
civic_stylez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civic_stylez Click here to Send civic_stylez a Private Message Find more posts by civic_stylez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.91

quote:

Wow! This looks like an awesome trip.
I'll have to read about the previous trip. A dream of mine is simply to drive down to South America, but north to south wow!

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 11-17-2015 02:34 PM
NoPulp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

This looks awesome, but i admit i am far to much of a complete chickenshit to do it lol. I love my cushy first world life.

Maybe strap a .50 to the top of that jeep and i would feel more comfortable circumventing Africa haha.

Keep it all posted, also interested in how the jeep turns out.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 11-17-2015 02:37 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Subscribed. Loved the last trip, followed you every single post. Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 11-17-2015 02:57 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Subscribed. Loved the last trip, followed you every single post. Looking forward to seeing your updates!

+1

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 11-17-2015 03:31 PM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BensonTT
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Am Jelly!

Old Post 11-17-2015 03:42 PM
BensonTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BensonTT Click here to Send BensonTT a Private Message Find more posts by BensonTT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vengie
First Gear

What I drive: OM642
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Subscribed!
You sir are building my dream jeep, I have the 3.0L in my grand cherokee and its a fantastic motor! I've always said the second jeep builds a diesel wrangler I would be all over it.

That said, how has the swap been? are there direct conversion kits? or is a lot of custom work involved?

Cheers!

Old Post 11-17-2015 03:50 PM
vengie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeeper1986
Neutral

What I drive: 2002 jeep tj
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

sweeeet

Old Post 11-17-2015 03:57 PM
Jeeper1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeeper1986 Click here to Send Jeeper1986 a Private Message Find more posts by Jeeper1986 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
googe
Banned

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

RIP

Old Post 11-17-2015 04:02 PM
googe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for googe Click here to Send googe a Private Message Find more posts by googe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Yup, definitely keep us updated on the journey! So awesome that guys like you do this kind of stuff. Best wishes!

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Old Post 11-17-2015 04:50 PM
JRSC00LUDE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 07:56 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: