Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time.

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time. quote:

So, for my daily cooking, I prefer to use a non-stick pan.

So, a couple of boxing days ago, I bought myself two very nice looking Henkels Non-stick frying pans. I am pretty sure these are the "VistaClad" line, although that's not written on them anywhere, and I don't have any of the packaging. They are heavy and feel really well made. I am careful using these, and don't use metal utensils, and only "non-stick safe" scrubbing sponges. Never been put in the dishwasher.

Now, the problem is that stuff DOES stick to them. the problem was apparently right away, although it seems to be getting worse. Frying eggs, chicken or pork, I'm 100% guaranteed to have the food stick to the pan. Worst of all, they are really hard to clean. This doesn't make sense to me. There are little bits of black stuff that seem to have embedded in the "pores" of the surface. no amount of scrubbing will take them off.

Looks like this:
click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

I've started using more oil or butter in my cooking, but that seems like a poor solution, and it has only reduced the problem, not eliminated it.

I've had cheap pans that were extremely non-stick and easy to clean, although I find that the cheaper wal-mart type don't last more than a few years.

Thoughts?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:10 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Do you season them ever? (no clue about these 'ceramic' ones you have.

Lots of good reviews on Heritage "The Rock" pans for your next one.

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:27 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I mostly gave up on these pans UNLESS i am doing something low temperature like crepes (which dont stick).

Otherwise, its stainless steel all the way.

That and less heated plastic gases has to be better overall.

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:31 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Neil4Speed
Second Gear

What I drive: Acura TLX SH-AWD
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (83)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I've never had any problems with my T-Fal Non-Sticks (Canadian Tire special). I have one that I have used for the past two years and only recently I've been having issues with sticking, I just use a quick spray of avocado oil and its all good

Originally posted by arian_ma
your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:41 PM
Neil4Speed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Neil4Speed Click here to Send Neil4Speed a Private Message Find more posts by Neil4Speed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.62
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Those ceramic non-stick pans are garbage.

My wife bought one and it was only a matter of weeks before we tossed it.

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:45 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I've never had any problems with my T-Fal Non-Sticks (Canadian Tire special). I have one that I have used for the past two years and only recently I've been having issues with sticking, I just use a quick spray of avocado oil and its all good

These are the only ones that ever seem to work for me too.

Old Post 12-07-2015 08:48 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: ///M235i
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Man the old school style black Teflons are where its at for real non stick. The only thing that actually works.

That being said. Use more oil i guess. At least oil tastes good lol.

I got a set of the lagostina ravenas as a wedding present which are this style and I love them.

I still have my old T fal on a top shelf just in case. Canadian tire special as well lol.

* Use of this avatar makes no statement of me implying I own a BMW M division car, that the BMW M235i model is a BMW M division car, or any other statement regarding BMW M division or its debated superiority over other makes and models of vehicles

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:08 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

All my non-sticks are tfal, no issues whatsoever with food sticking.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:26 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theken
Third Gear

What I drive: is not as cool as my benz was
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Go to a cast iron and you'll never regret it. Just take care of it

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:29 PM
theken is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theken Click here to Send theken a Private Message Find more posts by theken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

I use the generic Williams Sonoma brand no stick pans for things like eggs
SS or cast iron for everything else. Sorry OP, I'm not very helpful.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:29 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I got some Tramontina pans from Costco earlier this year and they have been great. Make sure to read the care instructions. I don't know if this applies to non-stick in general, but the ones I bought are supposed to be seasoned with oil now and then, and specify to never use a spray on oil because the propellants will ruin the surface.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:49 PM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carson blocks
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Longhorn / '04 Z06 / MT-01
Posts/Day: 0.13
User Rating: 103%

quote:

I've got a few of the T-Fal pans from Canadian Tire (they're always on sale for 50-75% off, so don't buy at full price). I can't cook worth a shit and have destroyed all my other non-stick cookware (sometimes on the first try), but the T-Fals are holding up for 2 years of abuse now and still look new. Look for the ones with the really thick base and the temperature dot.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:57 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SportEL
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (24)

quote:

I have the exact same Henckels Stainless Steel pan with the Ceramic coating. It is awful now. I've only had it a few months, but it sticks so bad. What a waste of money. I thought I'd pay good money for a nice pan but it began sticking after a few uses. Maybe ceramic coatings aren't that great for non-stick? I got this pan because Teflon coating will eventualy peel off and also releases PFOA which has long-term health concerns.

Old Post 12-07-2015 09:58 PM
SportEL is online now Click Here to See the Profile for SportEL Click here to Send SportEL a Private Message Find more posts by SportEL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

The ceramic pans are shit. Total scam.

Old Post 12-07-2015 10:02 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.33
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Lots of good reviews on Heritage "The Rock" pans for your next one.

We have had a couple of those ones for ages, they are great and pretty darn cheap at CT.

Old Post 12-07-2015 10:05 PM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shax

What I drive: Mk6 GTI
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

I used to go through a couple non-sticks a year until I switched to pans with Dupont (Chemours) Teflon Professional coatings on them. One of my chef friends recommended the line to me after I told her about burning through non sticks.

I have no idea how they did it but that stuff is pure magic. By far the best coating I have ever used. Still going strong after 3 years and dishwasher only usage. I have also tried the Teflon Platinum Plus coating and found it to be good but not as long lived (died after 2 years).

Hunting around for pans with these coatings is tough, Ikea does carry a relatively cheap line with them though! I know TFal has a couple offerings with the coating as well.

Old Post 12-07-2015 10:10 PM
Shax is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shax Click here to Send Shax a Private Message Find more posts by Shax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amysicle

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Eek. I just bought a set of anodized aluminum pans to replace the cheap T-Fals purchased from the Bay over 5 years ago.

I'll report back on how they're handling eggs this weekend.

Old Post 12-07-2015 10:25 PM
Amysicle is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Amysicle Click here to Send Amysicle a Private Message Find more posts by Amysicle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Rural_Juror
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.37
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

My All-Clads have lasted the longest with my pans still working really well after almost 3 years. Le Creuset is pretty good as well.

The rest of the brands that I have used were crappy and things start sticking to them in under a year.

Old Post 12-07-2015 10:59 PM
The_Rural_Juror is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Rural_Juror Click here to Send The_Rural_Juror a Private Message Find more posts by The_Rural_Juror Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FixedGear
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

The T-FAL Professional has been highest rated in several non-stick comparisons on America's Test Kitchen (yea I watched almost a whole season on Netflux haha)

Old Post 12-08-2015 12:34 AM
FixedGear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FixedGear Click here to Send FixedGear a Private Message Find more posts by FixedGear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
'93 SR-V
Neutral

What I drive: Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I have that exact pan and the exact same problem... The thing was great for the first bit and then quickly went to shit. As mentioned above you need to be careful with your oil selection....something I only figured out after i started trying to figure out why the pan was sucking. I used it to sear short ribs once. The combination of crap oil and high heat super f'd it. It's dissaponting because it wasn't cheap.

I've gone back to my stainless steel pans mostly. Frankly the stainless is easier to clean, at least I can just give it hell when the food sticks vs trying to baby the finish while still trying to remove stuck on food. I just keep a run of the mill Teflon pan for eggs and the like. I'm better off replacing a $20ish pan every few years vs a $100+ pan just as often!

Old Post 12-08-2015 03:57 AM
'93 SR-V is offline Click Here to See the Profile for '93 SR-V Click here to Send '93 SR-V a Private Message Find more posts by '93 SR-V Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:19 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: