Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Sous Vide, who's doing it?

Author
Thread
The_Penguin
Neutral

What I drive: '10 CTS
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

Sous Vide, who's doing it? quote:

Seems to me a few members mentioned buying the Anova precision cooker in the post your latest purchase thread a while ago.

For those who got one, how's it working out?

I got mine, and am very happy with the results.
Steak is particularly good, chicken breasts and ribs as well.

We get these skin-on garlic pepper chicken breasts from Costco.
They are great on the gas BBQ, but need babysitting as they can easily incinerate if left unattended. Sous vide works well on them, though the skin can get a bit soggy, haven't quite perfected them.

Have had great results with striploin steak, either finished on the gas BBQ or blasted with a Searzall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS5oW_LNbA8

Did some tenderloins tonight, they were very good. Back ribs are on-deck for tomorrow night. 12 hours at 165 is the plan.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-31-2016 02:52 AM
The_Penguin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

bball2
First Gear

What I drive: Honda Accord
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (89)

quote:

Got my Anova precision cooker after seeing a bunch of people on that latest purchase thread

I've only used it a few times so far, but excellent steaks each time! Serious eats has a really good guide with instructions / different variations you can try:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...vide-steak.html

Most of mine have been boneless rib eyes - thawed after being frozen in a sealed bag, cooked at 1-1.5 hours at 135F (medium rare), seasoned and cooked for about 30-45s on each side with butter on a cast iron pan.

Old Post 01-31-2016 03:09 AM
bball2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bball2 Click here to Send bball2 a Private Message Find more posts by bball2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by bball2

Most of mine have been boneless rib eyes - thawed after being frozen in a sealed bag, cooked at 1-1.5 hours at 135F (medium rare), seasoned and cooked for about 30-45s on each side with butter on a cast iron pan.

I've settled on 129F myself. Like 'em a bit rarer than medium rare.

Old Post 01-31-2016 03:17 AM
The_Penguin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

Yeah I use mine about once a week. It's even better now that the apps finally support wireless control so I can start cooking while I'm out.

Originally posted by bball2
thawed after being frozen in a sealed bag

I don't even bother thawing. Just throw it in frozen and start cooking. Add about an extra 20 minutes to your cook time once the water hits cooking temperature.

Old Post 01-31-2016 03:20 AM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDL
Neutral

What I drive: 09 Impreza 2.5
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I had some squid done Sous Vide and damm that was tasty.

Old Post 01-31-2016 04:59 AM
BigDL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDL Click here to Send BigDL a Private Message Find more posts by BigDL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12

quote:

It's pretty cool and I have been using it a lot to cook meats weeknight as it is a good compromise between time and ease. Toss the meat in the sous vide with a dry rub of some kind and roast some vegetables in the oven. Maybe throw a pot of rice on. Easy.

I tend to sear my stuff off on the stove though, if I'm going to bother firing up the bbq and going outside I'll just cook my steaks out there.

Made a confit duck roulade a few weeks back that was to die for!

Overall it's a nice tool to have in the kitchen for low cleanup low involvement dinners.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 01-31-2016 03:18 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

How well does a steak sear after being cooked sous vide? Just using butter and cast iron?

Old Post 01-31-2016 06:18 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blitz
Third Gear

What I drive: S4 Avant / Fiesta ST / Forester XT
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (23)

quote:

It's important to pay it dry, then it seers really well. Butter and any heavy pan that retains a lot of heat.

Old Post 01-31-2016 09:26 PM
blitz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blitz Click here to Send blitz a Private Message Visit blitz's homepage! Find more posts by blitz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

I started searing on a really hot gas grill, worked pretty well. Most say a hot cast iron pan and butter. I have been using my Searzall lately and it works pretty well. Takes a bit of work, but less smoke and mess than using a pan.

Old Post 01-31-2016 10:40 PM
NoSup4U
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

This has sparked my interest.

I didn't feel like hunting out the Anova locacally after reading this post today, so I'm going to attempt the "DIY" method of stove top/ zip lock.

Has anyone tried this?

Have you guys purchased the Anova locally, or found a better method?

Old Post 01-31-2016 11:47 PM
NoSup4U is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoSup4U Click here to Send NoSup4U a Private Message Find more posts by NoSup4U Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by NoSup4U
This has sparked my interest.

I didn't feel like hunting out the Anova locacally after reading this post today, so I'm going to attempt the "DIY" method of stove top/ zip lock.

Has anyone tried this?

Have you guys purchased the Anova locally, or found a better method?

I haven't heard of any place locally (or in Canada) that have Anova gear. I think the main advantage of Sous Vide is the precision temperatures.
Not sure how accurate you can be doing the stove-top method.

Old Post 02-01-2016 01:42 AM
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by The_Penguin

I haven't heard of any place locally (or in Canada) that have Anova gear. I think the main advantage of Sous Vide is the precision temperatures.

I think the apple store is supposed to carry them, it was kindof a big deal when the announced it. Not sure if in Canada or it has happened yet.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

fact.

Old Post 02-01-2016 02:06 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by killramos

I think the apple store is supposed to carry them, it was kindof a big deal when the announced it. Not sure if in Canada or it has happened yet.

Interesting. I see it on Apple.com but not Canada. Yet.

Old Post 02-01-2016 02:12 PM
dr_jared88
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

If you want to buy a circulator local The Bay carries this one:
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/st...332-sa307us--24

It's not the Anova but it is also highly recommended assuming you don't need bluetooth or wireless.

Old Post 02-01-2016 02:18 PM
dr_jared88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr_jared88 Click here to Send dr_jared88 a Private Message Find more posts by dr_jared88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

Yea it was announced as the first apple connected cooking product. Now it works just as well on android as a note.

fact.

Old Post 02-01-2016 02:24 PM
streetdreams
Neutral

What I drive: 85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Does anyone have issues conecting there Anova to your phone? i have yet to be able to get this to work. Otherwise this is an amazing way to cook.

Old Post 02-01-2016 02:30 PM
streetdreams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for streetdreams Click here to Send streetdreams a Private Message Find more posts by streetdreams Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vdubbin
Neutral

What I drive: 2016 Tacoma TRD, 87 944 turbo, 06 DL1000
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

I've had the Sansaire and it's good device. Bigger then the anova but nice that it'll sit flat on the counter to drain when your done with it. I actually lent it to my BIL over christmas and he bought it off me rather then give it back so I bought the Anova to replace it. It's small but works just as well and i like that I can monitor it from my phone.

So far I've done the follow.

Hard and soft boiled eggs on a weekly basis.
Lots of pork chops
Turkey - Deboned
Lots of steaks
Chicken breasts and thighs
Scrambled Eggs
10 racks of beef ribs (3 day cook)
Pork ribs

Got a bone in shoulder sitting in brine right now that will go in later this morning for about a 24hr cook and that I'm looking forward too.

If your looking for a good book to start I recommend this one. Lots of great recipes and a good time/temp guide at the back.
http://www.amazon.ca/Everything-Gui...words=sous+vide

Old Post 02-01-2016 03:15 PM
Vdubbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vdubbin Click here to Send Vdubbin a Private Message Find more posts by Vdubbin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeroGravity
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

I've used the Anova a few times. Wife and kid approved. My 5 year old didn't use to be interested in beef / steak. Now whenever we ask him what he wants to eat, it is ikura or beef.

Old Post 02-01-2016 03:25 PM
ZeroGravity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroGravity Click here to Send ZeroGravity a Private Message Find more posts by ZeroGravity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoSup4U
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Originally posted by The_Penguin

The stove-top method was a PITA to get the proper temp and regulate, but I managed to keep within a 5 degree zone.

However, end result was still brilliant!

Old Post 02-01-2016 03:27 PM
NoSup4U is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoSup4U Click here to Send NoSup4U a Private Message Find more posts by NoSup4U Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)

quote:

I've had my Anova for almost a year now.

So far my favourite use is breaking down a whole duck. Breasts for dinner, confit legs for the next day, throw the carcass in a pot for stock.

A close second would be creme brulee in mason jars.

Also very high on the list:
- Pork belly with Chinese steamed baos for full effect
- 72 hour beef short rib
- Spicy quick pickles

For searing, my preference is to do it on the infrared burner on my grill outside - cast iron I find is just far too messy and I'd rather splurge on a chamber vac before the Bernz+Searzall combo.

Is everyone using foodsaver or Ziplocks?

A couple of my go-to resources:
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1
http://www.chefsteps.com/

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by Strider on 02-01-2016 at 03:51 PM

Old Post 02-01-2016 03:49 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:32 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Sous Vide, who's doing it?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: