Quantcast
Summer Tow Rig - Options - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is the best way to tow my trailer this summer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rent trucks as required

14 20.00%
  • Buy a "summer only" tow beast and sell in the fall

26 37.14%
  • Buy a new truck to keep

22 31.43%
  • Other options - please describe

8 11.43%
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Tow Rig - Options

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Summer Tow Rig - Options

As some of you may know, I sold my pickup and downsized for economic reasons recently. However, in the summer time, I tow a 8000lb camping trailer five or trips for a Max of 28 days of truck usage. I'm looking for suggestions or critiques of my plans to accomplish this for the summer of 2016.

Option 1) Rent a truck when i need it. Advantage, newer reliable truck, no ongoing obligations. Disadvantage, hassle of picking it up and dropping it off each time, 100% sunk costs, plus many rental agreements (or all?) forbid towing. I estimate for the

Option 2) Buy truck for summer and sell in Fall. Several good options available in the $25,000 area, and in the $15,000 depending on how old of a truck I want to use. Advantage, no time limits like renting, less hassle picking up, possibly low overall cost if I can sell the truck for close to what I bought it for. Disadvantage, high capital cost outlay, would be on the hook for any repairs.

Option 3) sell my cheap car and just get myself back into a truck full time. Advantage, I'm a truck guy, and I'd love a newer truck. Disadvantage, Vehicle payment is hard to justify for a guy on EI.

Had considered trying to beg and borrow trucks from my buddies, but that's probably not realistic for the length of time I'm looking at. One or two weekends that would be possible.

My family extracts a lot of value from our trips in the trailer, and I don't think we want to forgo that for a year if we can help it.

I've posted a poll, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I feel like I've thought this through, but I haven't decided on one option yet, so I don't think I'm pulling a Mar here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would buy a dirt cheap truck, well under the costs you mentioned. Like under 10. and be done with it. Heck it could be 2wd for what you are using it for.

Lots of decent options out there right now. I had a buddy pick up a decent SCrew F150 from like 08 or something for like 8 grand. Runs and tows like clockwork, is comfortable, cheap to maintain and insure.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Sell the trailer and buy a tent or tent trailer you can tow with your car.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Option 4: Get a new trailer

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Hard to really give a proper answer without knowing your financial situation. If you're on EI with little to no savings then the answer is pretty straight forward, no holidays. If you're on EI with some money in the bank(and a possibility of working soon) then i'd cut it down to maybe 1 or 2 trips and just rent a truck. If you had to sell your truck for economic reasons you would be making a huge mistake to go and finance a truck now when you only need it purely for pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    Hard to really give a proper answer without knowing your financial situation. If you're on EI with little to no savings then the answer is pretty straight forward, no holidays. If you're on EI with some money in the bank(and a possibility of working soon) then i'd cut it down to maybe 1 or 2 trips and just rent a truck. If you had to sell your truck for economic reasons you would be making a huge mistake to go and finance a truck now when you only need it purely for pleasure.
    lol. He isnt asking for financial advice. He didnt sell his truck because he couldnt afford it either. He did so because he is intelligent and saw value in consolidating. beyond never fails to disappoint when others are dolling financial advice.

My vote is option 2. Selling a truck is never difficult. It doesnt have to be expensive either. You may even be able to make money if you find someone with a distressed vehicle.

I'm pretty sure in the 10K<x<15K market you could find an ugly but reliable diesel, let alone a gasser that will work out.

Goodluck.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ I think he could get away with a half ton considering thats what he had before.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

He could, but owning a diesel for a short period of time is just something every man should get to experience.

Do it killy.

Join me.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Default Re: Summer Tow Rig - Options

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    As some of you may know, I sold my pickup and downsized for economic reasons recently. However, in the summer time, I tow a 8000lb camping trailer five or trips for a Max of 28 days of truck usage. I'm looking for suggestions or critiques of my plans to accomplish this for the summer of 2016.

Option 1) Rent a truck when i need it. Advantage, newer reliable truck, no ongoing obligations. Disadvantage, hassle of picking it up and dropping it off each time, 100% sunk costs, plus many rental agreements (or all?) forbid towing. I estimate for the

Option 2) Buy truck for summer and sell in Fall. Several good options available in the $25,000 area, and in the $15,000 depending on how old of a truck I want to use. Advantage, no time limits like renting, less hassle picking up, possibly low overall cost if I can sell the truck for close to what I bought it for. Disadvantage, high capital cost outlay, would be on the hook for any repairs.

Option 3) sell my cheap car and just get myself back into a truck full time. Advantage, I'm a truck guy, and I'd love a newer truck. Disadvantage, Vehicle payment is hard to justify for a guy on EI.

Had considered trying to beg and borrow trucks from my buddies, but that's probably not realistic for the length of time I'm looking at. One or two weekends that would be possible.

My family extracts a lot of value from our trips in the trailer, and I don't think we want to forgo that for a year if we can help it.

I've posted a poll, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I feel like I've thought this through, but I haven't decided on one option yet, so I don't think I'm pulling a Mar here.
    Looks like some of your thoughts on Option 1 are missing...what are estimated annual rental costs?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by killramos
    I would buy a dirt cheap truck, well under the costs you mentioned. Like under 10. and be done with it. Heck it could be 2wd for what you are using it for.

Lots of decent options out there right now. I had a buddy pick up a decent SCrew F150 from like 08 or something for like 8 grand. Runs and tows like clockwork, is comfortable, cheap to maintain and insure.
    When this guy is right, he's right.

I would say even under $10k. Most ~2003 and newer half tons will tow 8k+ lbs with the proper towing package.

My buddy has a 2004 crewcab 4x4 1500 sierra. Fully loaded (not InRich fully loaded, actual full load for the year). Rated to tow 8600lbs.

~350,000kms on it, brand new GM transmission 50k kms ago. Has had synthetic ran in it since 140k kms. I bet he would take $4k for it. I owned the truck for a while, has a nice tow tune, easily hauled 7k lbs through the mountains.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

What's the towing capacity of the recession fighter?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Re: Re: Summer Tow Rig - Options

Thanks so much to everyone for the considered responses.
    Originally posted by never
    Looks like some of your thoughts on Option 1 are missing...what are estimated annual rental costs?
    Forgot to put that in. I have looked into it, and I estimate my costs for this length of rental would be around $2000 including taxes.

When looking at used trucks, a well equipped half ton can tow this trailer, although used 3/4 or 1 ton trucks are also widely available for similar prices. As for Gas vs Diesel, I know the diesel engines would pull harder, but am I opening myself up to some maintenance costs or issues? I am much more familiar with the gas options out there.

Please keep these thoughts coming, this is excellent.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Gas is cheap- you cant afford not to drive a truck right now... haha. Honestly, I have the same debate, I have a loaded 2500HD Duramax bought specifically for towing our holiday trailer. I drive my commuter car half the time to work and back because it feels silly to be driving a big truck unloaded back and forth. I have considered selling my truck, buying an older 2500 gasser to only use for camping trips and upgrading the commuter car BUT I'm a truck guy and I love the creature comforts I have in my truck, when we travel with the trailer we are generally doing a lot of driving so I prefer to be comfortable. Also, with the kids, the crew cab is necessary and a little harder to find in the older trucks.

In summary, Economically I still think that owning a cheaper (<$8K) tow rig and having a commuter car for day to day life makes the most sense but personally I love my truck and have chose option 3 "Buy a truck and Keep"

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I voted Option 4 but just to suggest another route that may not have been considered. Is there any merit to consolidating the trailer and tow vehicle into one unit by switching to a motorhome or camper van?

Originally posted by gpomp
    If it's out of warranty, a pretty savage 2000 lb.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Option 4: Get a new trailer
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by gpomp
    Originally posted by gogreen
    If it's out of warranty, a pretty savage 2000 lb.
    The recession fighter is far too savage for tow duty, I'd end up driving far too quickly up the hills and probably get a bunch of speeding tickets.

As for motorhome or camper van, that's not my preference. I have a trailer that is paid for, and that fits our family really well.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-01-2016 at 01:43 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    Originally posted by R154
    lol. He isnt asking for financial advice. He didnt sell his truck because he couldnt afford it either. He did so because he is intelligent and saw value in consolidating. beyond never fails to disappoint when others are dolling financial advice.
    I appreciate the perspective from Rocket1k78, I agree I haven't given enough financial data to fully analyse the situation. Let's just say that I'm no beyond baller, but I'm also not BuffaloSoldier either.

R154 is pretty close. I sold the truck because I owned it outright, and I saw no reason to be driving a $23k vehicle when I could drive something $15k cheaper and use that money to prevent taking on debt while I figure out a revised long term economic plan. I'm really happy with how that has worked out, and I am certain it was a smart move.

My philosophy with vehicles has always been that they are tools, and I don't get terribly attached to them. I'm always comfortable switching rides if my needs change.

Part of the reason I'm posting this poll/question in February is that I want to have a plan made well ahead of summer. I recognize that in five months time, I will probably be in a different financial situation, could be better or worse. I'm not pulling the trigger on any changes to my current vehicle situation until I need to.

Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I suspect this discussion will bring some useful information to others who may be in a similar situation.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Default Re: Re: Re: Summer Tow Rig - Options

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Thanks so much to everyone for the considered responses.
    Forgot to put that in. I have looked into it, and I estimate my costs for this length of rental would be around $2000 including taxes.

Is that $2k for the total estimated 28 days?
    Last edited by never; 02-01-2016 at 02:01 PM.

My Ride
    LNF

I guess it really depends on your financials.. If it was me, I would probably buy a summer tow rig and sell it in the fall (especially if you are on EI).

I would just be cautious with what you buy. I would not buy a used diesel (unless newer with warranty) cause they tend to be driven pretty hard. There are cases where you do find a good one for a good price but that is easier said then done.

If you buy any 2009 + Ram or Sierra. They tend to be pretty reliable. And you may be able to find a good deal if you are not in a rush. I can see it pretty easy to find one in good shape and then you can use it for the summer and re sell. Or you can keep it.

I just would not buy an older truck, It can either be bullet proof or a money pit.

My Ride
    bus

Rent COS's truck, he won't be towing nothing with a new baby on the way.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast