Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Events and Meets > 2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway)


Author
Thread
Joe-G
Second Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (71)
User Rating: 96%


2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway) quote:

The first lapping day of the year is coming up on April 29th!

Anyone else planning to attend some of these events?

Thought I'd give it a share here since it hasn't been shared yet.

Events/Registration link: https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/trackjunkies

__________________

Photo by: Kevin Chow

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-2016 08:18 PM
Joe-G is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe-G Click here to Send Joe-G a Private Message Find more posts by Joe-G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
 
Boosted_TL
First Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.20
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 97%


quote:

I'll be there this year. Won't make the 29th though so it's looking like May 23 is my first day.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-2016 09:52 PM
Boosted_TL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boosted_TL Click here to Send Boosted_TL a Private Message Find more posts by Boosted_TL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Errol.
First Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: DC2
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 98%


quote:

I've registered for May.

__________________
http://www.flickr.com/erroltan

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-2016 02:02 AM
Errol. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Errol. Click here to Send Errol. a Private Message Visit Errol.'s homepage! Find more posts by Errol. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhao Kan
Newbie

Location: south edmonton
What I drive: E90, FD, STI
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

I want to but Itd be as an instructor. These are great events to start out in.

Being on weekdays I've never been able to show up at these, but this year my work is a bit more flexible so I'm hoping to have time to instruct at a few.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-2016 05:29 PM
Zhao Kan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zhao Kan Click here to Send Zhao Kan a Private Message Find more posts by Zhao Kan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Planning to be at a few events. Baseline for the S2000 this year for me. Have a goal in mind for this car for a lap time eventually.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2016 03:39 AM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe-G
Second Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (71)
User Rating: 96%


quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Planning to be at a few events. Baseline for the S2000 this year for me. Have a goal in mind for this car for a lap time eventually.



What do you think you/the car is good for? High 1:20s?

__________________

Photo by: Kevin Chow

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2016 06:40 AM
Joe-G is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe-G Click here to Send Joe-G a Private Message Find more posts by Joe-G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Joe-G


What do you think you/the car is good for? High 1:20s?



Not currently but my goal is under 1:30 for 2017 I think. Going to take more seat time, and most likely some mods that aren't going to happen this year.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2016 03:01 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darkane
Second Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Yep I'm considering it. Wife won't be thrilled with me if I got to Utah and race the Ford performance school three days before and then go to Castrol. Lol.

Need baselines though.

__________________
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Kim Kardashian Sex tape:

Originally posted by hadookin
nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2016 03:05 PM
Darkane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darkane Click here to Send Darkane a Private Message Find more posts by Darkane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorath
REAL Pedophile

Location: Calgary
What I drive: VANS AND MORE VANS
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (52)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

i`ll be there victoria day weekend

__________________

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I walked into one the other day, at 11:15 and she says "sorry, it's past 11". I said, "but the eggs are RIGHT THERE....in THAT door. You either grab me an egg, or you grab me a piece of turkey....what's the difference??". She still said "Sorry". WTF??

So I ordered the most disgusting tasting 12" sub, and at the end, said "Actually, I changed my mind. I'm going to head to the Subway down the road. They serve the breakfast sandwich all day long. Tell your boss, he can have this sandwich. Thanks anyways".



karmas gonna bite you in the ass

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2016 04:01 PM
Sorath is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Sorath Click here to Send Sorath a Private Message Find more posts by Sorath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zhao
Newbie

Location: edmonton
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo


Not currently but my goal is under 1:30 for 2017 I think. Going to take more seat time, and most likely some mods that aren't going to happen this year.



What do you have for mods because that goal is very doable for a stockish s2k as long as you are willing to buy decent tires, and have one mod.

The nice thing about Castrol is there are a few quirks about that track that will shave off crazy amounts of time with minimum effort.

Almost everyone takes a few corners completely wrong too, and while the kink is very hard to get right, the other two corners are almost impossible to screw up once you understand what everyone else is doing wrong.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2016 06:17 PM
zhao is online now Click Here to See the Profile for zhao Click here to Send zhao a Private Message Find more posts by zhao Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

Location: Calgary Alberta
What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.73
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Hardparker checking in....

Maybe I will come up and spectate a few events haha...

__________________
...@therealarifjina...

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2016 06:23 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by zhao


What do you have for mods because that goal is very doable for a stockish s2k as long as you are willing to buy decent tires, and have one mod.

The nice thing about Castrol is there are a few quirks about that track that will shave off crazy amounts of time with minimum effort.

Almost everyone takes a few corners completely wrong too, and while the kink is very hard to get right, the other two corners are almost impossible to screw up once you understand what everyone else is doing wrong.



245/45/16 RE11A, Hawk HP+ and a Karcepts front sway bar.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2016 07:47 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k1l4m
Neutral

Location: Calgary
What I drive: NB8C
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by zhao

The nice thing about Castrol is there are a few quirks about that track that will shave off crazy amounts of time with minimum effort.

Almost everyone takes a few corners completely wrong too, and while the kink is very hard to get right, the other two corners are almost impossible to screw up once you understand what everyone else is doing wrong.



Please do share the quirks and common mistakes

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2016 08:04 PM
k1l4m is offline Click Here to See the Profile for k1l4m Click here to Send k1l4m a Private Message Find more posts by k1l4m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhao Kan
Newbie

Location: south edmonton
What I drive: E90, FD, STI
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by k1l4m


Please do share the quirks and common mistakes





Corner 4 everyone attempts to do a conventional line here starting on the outside of the track and coming down gradually inside. This is slower, and in road racing gives me a guaranteed pass on you. Why this is because the track is highest in the middle, and having any wheel of your car across the centerline of the track makes you corner off camber. Your corner speed therefore has to be far lower to corner than if you hug the inside of the center line on this corner. The whole track is paved like this but this is the corner it affects you the most.

Corner 3 people get this wrong too. The fastest line here is to get down low, preferably at the start and hug it low until the apex and then track out. You should also be gasing it in this corner until your car starts to push up the track to find your edge of adhesion. Everyone I've instructed to date totally underestimates the speed you can go in this corner and how much faster the low line is.

The kink... this is a corner that exits onto a big straight. That means you want to put the power down early, and this means you should be heavily putting the power down before the apex. You need to get the majority of your turning done before you apex so you have the grip to WOT. To do this you may need to turn your car with weight transfer for extra rotation. It'll also likely involve a heel toe downshift under high gs for most cars. My race car is extremely under powered, meaning it should suck on the straights, and I actually pass a lot of people after the kink because I'm exiting so much faster.

A quirk of this track is corner speed is more valuable here for shaving off lap times than even a gokart track like stratotech was. Power is always useful here but tires alone can mean literally a 10 second a lap difference. Aero is effective basically everywhere too. Buying a set of tires could literally be if more value than triple digits in hp. A properly setup suspension and An alignment enabling you to use all your tire can be big too.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2016 01:51 AM
Zhao Kan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zhao Kan Click here to Send Zhao Kan a Private Message Find more posts by Zhao Kan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhao Kan
Newbie

Location: south edmonton
What I drive: E90, FD, STI
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo


245/45/16 RE11A, Hawk HP+ and a Karcepts front sway bar.



If you bought rcomps, preferably something like a hankook z214 or hoosiers and a set of coilovers (to get prob -2.5 and -1.5 camber rear at the least) I'd say your car should be capable of 128s, maybe 127s. you could basically just get seat time and as long as you are improving you should break into 129s eventually just with driver skill, if not right away.

I'm deep into the 129s with a 2600lb 1986 rx7 with coils, 245wide z214s, an exhaust and intake. Now exhausts do a lot for rotaries but this car came with 146hp from the factory so my power to weight ratio is not exactly great even though my car is lighter.

My car also has a 30 year old chassis which isn't cutting edge in the handling department

Last edited by Zhao Kan on 04-10-2016 at 02:10 AM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2016 02:06 AM
Zhao Kan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zhao Kan Click here to Send Zhao Kan a Private Message Find more posts by Zhao Kan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k1l4m
Neutral

Location: Calgary
What I drive: NB8C
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Zhao Kan




Corner 4 everyone attempts to do a conventional line here starting on the outside of the track and coming down gradually inside. This is slower, and in road racing gives me a guaranteed pass on you. Why this is because the track is highest in the middle, and having any wheel of your car across the centerline of the track makes you corner off camber. Your corner speed therefore has to be far lower to corner than if you hug the inside of the center line on this corner. The whole track is paved like this but this is the corner it affects you the most.

Corner 3 people get this wrong too. The fastest line here is to get down low, preferably at the start and hug it low until the apex and then track out. You should also be gasing it in this corner until your car starts to push up the track to find your edge of adhesion. Everyone I've instructed to date totally underestimates the speed you can go in this corner and how much faster the low line is.

The kink... this is a corner that exits onto a big straight. That means you want to put the power down early, and this means you should be heavily putting the power down before the apex. You need to get the majority of your turning done before you apex so you have the grip to WOT. To do this you may need to turn your car with weight transfer for extra rotation. It'll also likely involve a heel toe downshift under high gs for most cars. My race car is extremely under powered, meaning it should suck on the straights, and I actually pass a lot of people after the kink because I'm exiting so much faster.

A quirk of this track is corner speed is more valuable here for shaving off lap times than even a gokart track like stratotech was. Power is always useful here but tires alone can mean literally a 10 second a lap difference. Aero is effective basically everywhere too. Buying a set of tires could literally be if more value than triple digits in hp. A properly setup suspension and An alignment enabling you to use all your tire can be big too.



Thanks for the pointers! Similar to the advice given by my instructor during my first time on the track who also races (or raced) an rx7

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2016 06:36 AM
k1l4m is offline Click Here to See the Profile for k1l4m Click here to Send k1l4m a Private Message Find more posts by k1l4m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Zhao Kan


If you bought rcomps, preferably something like a hankook z214 or hoosiers and a set of coilovers (to get prob -2.5 and -1.5 camber rear at the least) I'd say your car should be capable of 128s, maybe 127s. you could basically just get seat time and as long as you are improving you should break into 129s eventually just with driver skill, if not right away.

I'm deep into the 129s with a 2600lb 1986 rx7 with coils, 245wide z214s, an exhaust and intake. Now exhausts do a lot for rotaries but this car came with 146hp from the factory so my power to weight ratio is not exactly great even though my car is lighter.

My car also has a 30 year old chassis which isn't cutting edge in the handling department



Thanks for the info. I actually no longer own the car as of today, but got something similar.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2016 12:30 AM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Canmorite
Second Gear

Location: Mountains/Calgary
What I drive: Das Fahrenheit
Posts/Day: 0.48
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by EK 2.0
Hardparker checking in....

Maybe I will come up and spectate a few events haha...



Roadtrip?

__________________

Originally posted by 89coupe
I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-12-2016 10:34 PM
Canmorite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Canmorite Click here to Send Canmorite a Private Message Find more posts by Canmorite Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

Location: Calgary Alberta
What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.73
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by Canmorite


Roadtrip?



I would be down man!!...

__________________
...@therealarifjina...

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-2016 03:35 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe-G
Second Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (71)
User Rating: 96%


quote:

Originally posted by EK 2.0


I would be down man!!...



Doo it!

__________________

Photo by: Kevin Chow

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-2016 09:02 PM
Joe-G is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe-G Click here to Send Joe-G a Private Message Find more posts by Joe-G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:33 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
 
Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Events and Meets > 2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway)



Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread


Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 

Google
 
Web beyond.ca

Terms of Use - Contact Us - Advertising Info - Archives - Car Blog

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.9
Copyright ©2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Bringing Car Enthusiasts together in discussion on our car forums

Page Statistics : Page generated in 0.09460592 seconds (74.86% PHP - 25.14% MySQL) with 41 queries.