Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > smart LED bulbs - Colour changing - Wifi controllable

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

smart LED bulbs - Colour changing - Wifi controllable quote:

So, I'm looking for some LED bulbs that are wifi controllable to a) change colour and b) change brightness on a schedule. Example, for a kids bedtime, bulb comes on full bright 7:00 pm, goes to 50% brightness at 7:30, goes to red at 50% brightness at 7:45, goes to red at 5% brightness at 8:30, and shuts off completely at 8:45.

Had some cheapo ones that worked great for a while, just as described above, but they now both are stuck on an ugly blue hue, and the wifi can't see them anymore. They were only about $20 per bulb on one of those "steals" websites.

I hear Phillips Hue are the "good" option, but they seem insanely expensive. Like a "starter kit" will be $300 bucks. WTF? Even $50 per bulb sounds okay to me if they are going to last more than a couple months and they have the functionality that I want.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-26-2016 04:05 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

imranm

What I drive: 2014 Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

If you look on kijiji there's a guy selling the regular white hue bulbs for $15 I believe. You pickup the hub and download the app and you're good to go.

Old Post 04-26-2016 04:24 PM
imranm is online now Click Here to See the Profile for imranm Click here to Send imranm a Private Message Find more posts by imranm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

The Hue's are expensive, but you do get what you pay for. They work awesome.

I have a scene for kids story time where it's a warm temp in the room with the kids reading lights being more white. For mornings, I mimic'd airplane lights where it's a cool white for the main lights and blue for the reading lights which slowly turns on between 5:45am to 6:00am just like on a long red eye flight. I also have individual remotes that controls all lights at the main switch, and 2 separate remotes for controlling the individual reading lights on each bunk bed so the kids can turn on just their lights to hit the bathroom.

The Hue setup will do everything you're looking for. I went with the starter kit (2 bulbs ceiling, one bulb for desk lamp), one additional bulb for top bunk lamp, LED strip + extension for bottom bunk, and 3 remotes. About $500 worth of crap haha. I also had to remove the original light switch and wire it to be always on. Same goes for the desk lamp and top bunk lamp. These bulbs require power at all times otherwise they're not reachable/controllable.

Siri control is great too, kids can voice control lighting through their iPod/iPad.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-26-2016 05:12 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen81
FKA: stephen_haxton

What I drive: IS350
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

I've had several HUE bulbs for about a year now and no issues.

Rage, which App are you using to control them and build your scenes?

Old Post 04-26-2016 06:50 PM
Stephen81 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen81 Click here to Send Stephen81 a Private Message Find more posts by Stephen81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I just assumed that pot heads bought up these color changing bulbs.
Or for kinky bedroom role playing but, what do I know?!

Old Post 04-26-2016 07:41 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by Stephen81
I've had several HUE bulbs for about a year now and no issues.

Rage, which App are you using to control them and build your scenes?

I build my color scenes using the Hue app, then I export them to Homekit so I can control it using Siri or the widgets from the Home app.

Originally posted by mr2mike
I just assumed that pot heads bought up these color changing bulbs.
Or for kinky bedroom role playing but, what do I know?!

I think they're stupid too, when I first got a set to test with in my bedroom it was so tacky and cheesy and looked absolutely stupid. But then I installed them into the kids room and the kids just love it.

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-26-2016 07:50 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

http://www.shopbot.ca/m/?m=philips+hue+starter+kit

Seems like $199 is the best price for the colour kit. No idea if you could use the hub from the white kit with colour bulbs bought separate. Memory Express sells this kind of stuff, has a few options, and has that starter kit of $199.

Old Post 04-26-2016 09:08 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Yea, it's selling for $199cdn at Home Depot and Apple store. I loaded up on the setup because they haven't adjusted to US pricing yet, they're still priced at 1:1 compared to the States ($199US). At some point, all this will go up in price to reflect our weak CDN$. The wholesalers have already bumped up the pricing, Gescan sells the starter kit for $276cdn.

Old Post 04-26-2016 09:21 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Got the philips Hue system. Bought the white starter kit and a single coloured bulb, worked out cheaper, and seems to be doing what we want.

Old Post 05-07-2016 01:14 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

rage2, you are indeed the ultimate nerd by far.

Old Post 05-07-2016 03:10 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinMCS
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

I have the phillips HUE. It's amazing. Not much else to say about it. Have it on schedules and room controls by WINK, but now they have room controls in their own new Hue V2 App.

Old Post 05-07-2016 05:12 PM
JustinMCS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinMCS Click here to Send JustinMCS a Private Message Find more posts by JustinMCS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sabad66
Second Gear

What I drive: 2013 Q5
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (77)

quote:

i picked up Green Bulbs at the home & garden show last year. Similar to hue but much cheaper. Can be controlled by remote or wifi/phone app. I believe they are a Canadian company as well.

http://thegreenbulb.com/

i have two of them in my living room lamps... 99% of the time i keep them on white but it's nice to be able to adjust the brightness from the remote. i don't use the colours much unless i'm having a party or something.

Old Post 05-07-2016 07:11 PM
sabad66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sabad66 Click here to Send sabad66 a Private Message Find more posts by sabad66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by sabad66
i picked up Green Bulbs at the home & garden show last year. Similar to hue but much cheaper. Can be controlled by remote or wifi/phone app. I believe they are a Canadian company as well.

http://thegreenbulb.com/

i have two of them in my living room lamps... 99% of the time i keep them on white but it's nice to be able to adjust the brightness from the remote. i don't use the colours much unless i'm having a party or something.

You mean Canadian company that sells product that's most likely been manufactured in China. I would be very surprised if there is any Canadian company selling LED bulbs that are actually manufactured in Canada.

Old Post 05-07-2016 08:17 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

My cousin in Oakland has HUE. I'm sold. I'm going to see where I can buy it tomorrow.

Old Post 05-22-2016 06:14 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Home Depot and Apple Store is the cheapest place to go for Hue.

Old Post 05-22-2016 10:39 PM
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
My cousin in Oakland has HUE. I'm sold. I'm going to see where I can buy it tomorrow.

TomcoPDR has some for sale on here - link to thread, second post.

Old Post 05-22-2016 10:48 PM
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Bought Tomcos kit and it's life altering lol. My living room doesn't have a dedicated light switch so have to be dependent on floor lamps. Not anymore!

Edit: will play around and see if Zigbee non-HUE bulbs will work with the HUE hub.

GE Link is cheaper per piece.

Last edited by flipstah on 05-24-2016 at 05:47 AM

Old Post 05-24-2016 04:59 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Yea it works with other ZigBee bulbs. It didn't for a week last year though when Philips blocked them.

In other news, if you don't care about color but care about color temperature, the White Ambiance bulbs came out yesterday. White, adjustable color temp from 2000k to 6500k, $30/bulb (1/2 the price of color'd Hues).

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1001010085.html

Starter kit at $130, 2 bulbs, Homekit compatible v2 Hub, and a dimmer:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1001010086.html

Old Post 05-24-2016 02:45 PM
Proyecto2000
First Gear

What I drive: Nissan Frontier & Ford F350
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (14)

quote:

I just got a free HUE starter kit from Enmax so guess I better give them a try

Old Post 05-24-2016 04:05 PM
Proyecto2000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Proyecto2000 Click here to Send Proyecto2000 a Private Message Find more posts by Proyecto2000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sabad66
Second Gear

What I drive: 2013 Q5
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (77)

quote:

Originally posted by Proyecto2000
I just got a free HUE starter kit from Enmax so guess I better give them a try

how did you get that?

Old Post 05-24-2016 04:10 PM
sabad66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sabad66 Click here to Send sabad66 a Private Message Find more posts by sabad66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:05 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > smart LED bulbs - Colour changing - Wifi controllable

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: