Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

Author
Thread
Quizzes

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition quote:

The NHL offseason is finally here. First order of business for the Flames is the hiring of a new coach in Glen Gulutzan.

I trust Treliving to be a diligent person and goes through every decision with a fine tooth comb and expect this to be a good marriage for the team. Keeping in mind that Hartley was never Treliving's hire and likely would've been fired last year had he not made the playoffs and won the Jack Adams. Found lightning in a bottle and couldn't sustain it.

Thoughts on the new coach? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:08 PM
Quizzes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Quizzes Click here to Send Quizzes a Private Message Find more posts by Quizzes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.62
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 98%

Re: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition quote:

Originally posted by Quizzes

Seems like a strange selection. Doesn't exactly have much NHL experience and what he has isn't anything to be terribly proud of.

Good luck Flames.

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:17 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasimmon
Neutral

What I drive: 2 feet and a heartbeat
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Struggled as a head coach in Dallas.

Was below average running the PK in Vancouver last year, but was great the year before, and average the year before that.

Should be interesting.

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:39 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quizzes

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by lasimmon
Struggled as a head coach in Dallas.

Was below average running the PK in Vancouver last year, but was great the year before, and average the year before that.

Should be interesting.

Good point about Dallas. I think at that time, Dallas wasn't ready to be a contender and was going through the motions. He probably lacked experience as a head coach then and when Nieuwendyk got fired, so did he.

Being an associate coach in Vancouver isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either, so that's a bit of a head scratcher.

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:50 PM
Quizzes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Quizzes Click here to Send Quizzes a Private Message Find more posts by Quizzes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kloubek
Fourth Gear

What I drive: A vehicle or two
Posts/Day: 1.15
Trader Rating: (35)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

TSN says the Flames are targeting Fleury.

I've never been high on Fleury. He has had stretches of great hockey, but seems like his consistency just isn't there. A bit of a gamble if Treliving is going to go for it, but something has to be done in net.

Vancouver signs Sven Baertschi for a good value bridge contract. This coming season will be telling as to whether the Flames were fleeced on that trade or not.

Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:58 PM
Kloubek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kloubek Click here to Send Kloubek a Private Message Find more posts by Kloubek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasimmon
Neutral

What I drive: 2 feet and a heartbeat
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Good point about Dallas. I think at that time, Dallas wasn't ready to be a contender and was going through the motions. He probably lacked experience as a head coach then and when Nieuwendyk got fired, so did he.

Being an associate coach in Vancouver isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either, so that's a bit of a head scratcher.

Given everything it really could go either way. Could be good, could be bad.

Old Post 06-17-2016 04:59 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quizzes

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Kloubek
TSN says the Flames are targeting Fleury.

I've never been high on Fleury. He has had stretches of great hockey, but seems like his consistency just isn't there. A bit of a gamble if Treliving is going to go for it, but something has to be done in net.

Vancouver signs Sven Baertschi for a good value bridge contract. This coming season will be telling as to whether the Flames were fleeced on that trade or not.

Fleury was the only reason they were still relevant earlier in the season when everyone else was struggling. He does struggle in big games, but he's a good stop gap for the time being if the price to acquire him isn't greater than a 2nd rounder.

Sven demanded a trade, so it didn't leave the Flames with many options.

Old Post 06-17-2016 05:05 PM
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

Re: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition quote:

I'm pretty indifferent on the choice at the moment, but I always favoured the idea of going with a relatively "fresh" face in giving an assistant coach a shot rather than recycling the same old aging coaches over and over again.

That said, I'm glad we didn't go with Carlyle or Creepy Pedo Cameron and I don't think Boudreau would have been a right fit for the team.

Anyone watch the presser? Part of Gulutzan's job interview included doing the Grouse Grind with Conroy. That might explain why Carlyle and Boudreau didn't get the job

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:58 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maxx Mazda
First Gear

What I drive: Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
Posts/Day: 0.18
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Not too sure how I feel about it yet... I think a fresh face is a good thing, but I also am a little nervous that he doesn't really have any solid experience and results...

Sometimes tho in many things if you give someone the opportunity to succeed, they can rise up to the challenge and really make a change.

Old Post 06-18-2016 05:21 PM
Maxx Mazda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxx Mazda Click here to Send Maxx Mazda a Private Message Find more posts by Maxx Mazda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mibz

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.27
Trader Rating: (15)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I wouldn't look at his time in Dallas as indicative of anything. Whoever replaced Tippett was going to fail.

Old Post 06-18-2016 06:57 PM
Mibz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mibz Click here to Send Mibz a Private Message Find more posts by Mibz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leftwing
Neutral

What I drive: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Posts/Day: 0.10
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Wasn't thrilled about the Gulutzan signing, but I don't know much about him so I can't judge to much - As well, I don't have anyone 'better' in mind. I do agree that Treliving has proven to make solid decisions so I do trust him.

As for Fleury; He is the reason that I became a Pens fan, and he was my idol growing up as a goalie. I think he gets an unfair rap for the Pens playoff struggles in previous years, but anyone with good hockey knowledge can understand the Pens struggles were far deeper rooted than an odd bad goal by Fleury. Matt Murray let in a few stinkers this year. What a lot of people also might not consider is his locker room leadership, which I hear is highly regarded in the Pens locker room. I would gladly welcome him to Calgary, he would give the Flames a solid 4-7 years to find and develop a franchise goalie.

Old Post 06-18-2016 11:01 PM
leftwing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.33
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Rumours are coming out today that the Flames are trying to work a deal with TBL for Bishop. Have to wonder if the 6th overall pick is part of the deal. Nothing confirmed obviously, but if TBL trades Bishop that could free up space to keep Stamkos.

Old Post 06-21-2016 04:59 PM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quizzes

What I drive:

quote:

Not interested in giving up 6th overall for a pending UFA next season.

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:03 PM
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

So far I've heard the first one was all of calgarys 2nd rounders (3), backlund and prospects for Bishop. Which I laughed cause that rumor seems absolutely ridiculous. Between injuries and UFA next year, no fucking away unless its a trade and sign. But even then, backlund had wayyyy too good of a season plus 3 2nd rounders on top.

And apparently pittsburgh wants flames 6th overall for fluery (also another joke).

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:11 PM
colinxx235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.33
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Not interested in giving up 6th overall for a pending UFA next season.

One would assume it would be a trade-and-sign, just like the Andersen deal from yesterday.

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:12 PM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're rumours as much as people making news out of nothing.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...a-bishop-rumor/

Bob McKenzie was on Vancouver’s TSN 1040 on Tuesday morning.

On how the hot rumor this morning is that Tampa Bay is offering up Ben Bishop via trade:

“Let me take you back, and I can only suspect the genesis of all of this. Last night I was doing on Twitter sort of a chat about the draft, and I was asked some questions about teams and NHL moves, and things like that.

“So somebody asked me about what will Calgary do now that they didn’t get Freddie Andersen, they were after Freddie Andersen from Anaheim. The Leafs got him and signed him. What’s their next move. And I said obviously they need a goaltender. They have talked, or they will talk, to the Tampa Bay Lightning about Ben Bishop. That was it. That’s all I said. The same as they’ve talked to Pittsburgh about Marc-Andre Fleury.

“Now apparently some dim bulb in Tampa has started to say that ‘there’s reports out of Canada that Calgary has a deal in place for Ben Bishop,’ which, if they do, it’s news to me. I certainly didn’t say that, and I’m not aware of anybody else who did either.

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:32 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quizzes

What I drive:

quote:

^^^ Thank Jesus. I can only imagine how much Flames would've had to overpay for Bishop.

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:36 PM
95EG6P
First Gear

What I drive: K20A2
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (48)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

i hope we get bishop but not for our 6th pick

Old Post 06-21-2016 05:45 PM
95EG6P is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 95EG6P Click here to Send 95EG6P a Private Message Visit 95EG6P's homepage! Find more posts by 95EG6P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

can we give them mark jankowski lol what's going on with that kid. is he ready or what

Old Post 06-21-2016 06:13 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I would like to see Bishop come here instead of Fluery

Old Post 06-21-2016 06:42 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:51 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: