Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Orangetheory Fitness

Author
Thread
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

Orangetheory Fitness quote:

Any other members on here? I have been to 3 classes now, intense cardio workout. usually about 15 people in the class, only 2-3 guys usually. Everyone wears heart rate monitors so you can see what training zone you are in on screens in the gym.

Here is the summary from my workout yesterday. Yes, I am out of shape.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2016 05:34 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I am thinking of joining a gym near my house now that I am back in Calgary and have both Orange Theory and Anytime Fitness near the house. I don't know much about this place, could you elaborate as to how it works. Is it like a regular gym where you do your own thing or you simply attend classes etc? What are the costs involved with becoming a member?

Perfect timing for a thread such as this btw lol. Thanks.

Old Post 06-17-2016 05:41 PM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
austic
Neutral

What I drive: Born in Stuttgart
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I go with my wife to the westsprings to keep her motivated. Its a great cardio workout but the weight portion is pretty useless.

Old Post 06-17-2016 05:56 PM
austic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for austic Click here to Send austic a Private Message Find more posts by austic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
asp integra
Second Gear

What I drive: A4 Avant 6MT
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by shakalaka
I am thinking of joining a gym near my house now that I am back in Calgary and have both Orange Theory and Anytime Fitness near the house. I don't know much about this place, could you elaborate as to how it works. Is it like a regular gym where you do your own thing or you simply attend classes etc? What are the costs involved with becoming a member?

Perfect timing for a thread such as this btw lol. Thanks.

You must live near me (cougar ridge area?) I believe orange theory is all classes, where as anytime fitness is a place you can go 24/7 and do your own thing

current ski quiver:
park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:02 PM
asp integra is offline Click Here to See the Profile for asp integra Click here to Send asp integra a Private Message Find more posts by asp integra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigbadboss101
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 114%

quote:

Does is work out to about $12-15 a class? We have one minutes from our place. When it first opened my wife and I checked it out. Looks neat but figured too much $ for us.

This looks fun as well.

http://crossfitai.com/

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:08 PM
bigbadboss101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigbadboss101 Click here to Send bigbadboss101 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadboss101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigbadboss101
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 114%

Re: Orangetheory Fitness quote:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Any other members on here? I have been to 3 classes now, intense cardio workout. usually about 15 people in the class, only 2-3 guys usually. Everyone wears heart rate monitors so you can see what training zone you are in on screens in the gym.

Here is the summary from my workout yesterday. Yes, I am out of shape.

That many calories used up one can eat a lot and still be in a deficit!

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:09 PM
bigbadboss101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigbadboss101 Click here to Send bigbadboss101 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadboss101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cet
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

I have been thinking of joining OrangeTheory for a while as I've heard the workout is really good. Not sure I want to be part of both OrangeTheory and Goodlife though.

From what I understand, it's more of a bootcamp type class where everything is pretty structured isn't it?

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:09 PM
cet is online now Click Here to See the Profile for cet Click here to Send cet a Private Message Find more posts by cet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

quote:

Originally posted by asp integra

You must live near me (cougar ridge area?) I believe orange theory is all classes, where as anytime fitness is a place you can go 24/7 and do your own thing

Yup, I am in Wentworth Estates on 9th Ave.

I am gonna check out Anytime Fitness in a day or so to see how it is. OT seems like a neat idea as the classes probably motivate you, perhaps something that you can just 'pay as you go' I guess on a class to class basis.

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:38 PM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

quote:

It is definitely comparable to a boot camp.

The class is structured. Usually half on treadmills / rowers and half on the floor doing core, weights, body weight squats, and trx things.

Everyone wears a heart rate monitor and your goal is to spend time in the 'orange zone'. If your goal is weight loss / cardio it's great for sure. Not really applicable for weight gain.

It is expensive, but for cardio i'm basically burning twice as many calories as I would at the gym.

My plan is to use free weights at home on off days for some upper body muscle building.

This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:56 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5hift
First Gear

What I drive: .
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I live in this area and checked out both gyms as well.

Anytime is surprisingly empty even during what you would think are peak hours. They will give you a two week trial pass if you go in and take a tour etc. Being always open and having a location literally in every part of every city in North America you can access is great. However it is geared more to a beginner/intermediate lifter than the serious one (dumbbells don't even go past 100, no real bench press, etc).

Orange Theory is a cool concept for people that need motivation while focusing on cardio, but is not a real gym at all, and IMO is more of a trend thing that will not last.

Old Post 06-17-2016 06:59 PM
5hift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5hift Click here to Send 5hift a Private Message Find more posts by 5hift Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

If you're in that area I would just go to westside (where I go). Anytime's price is almost identical to westside except it has probably about 1/100th of the footprint (probably less).

Westside has tons of equipment, if you play hockey and have afternoons off/work odd shifts you get access to free shiny, wall climbing, badminton/vball/bball, the pool, etc etc.

Old Post 06-17-2016 07:04 PM
colinxx235 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kjonus

What I drive: 2003 Pathfinder / 2011 Mustang
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

I've been doing OTF in Creekside since it started and I really like it. You're not going to burn more calories per hour then that place (well spin class would be the same) Yes it isn't cheap but it's well worth it in my mind. I just go once a week for my cardio, depending on what your looking for its really good. It's not a place to bulk up but better if you're looking to get fit and toned. Drop in and they'll always give you a class to try for free. Pretty sure that it will last, the one I have been going to has been busy and it been like that for a long time the women really seem to flock to it. "Dirtsniffer" I'm surprise that your pud went for 62 minutes you couldn't have had a class behind you as I've never got results with a time in the 60's always in the mid to late 50's.

Old Post 06-19-2016 04:16 AM
Kjonus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kjonus Click here to Send Kjonus a Private Message Find more posts by Kjonus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.29
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I have a hard time believing that many calories were burned in 60 minutes. Seems optimistic, but thats just based on my research.

HIIT would have a tough time doing that, and the fact is, as you slow down, you technically are burning less calories. Thats a serious amount of work, maybe possible for somebody IN shape, but like I said, I doubt it .

unno:

Old Post 06-19-2016 07:15 AM
HiTempguy1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
403ep3
Second Gear

What I drive: TDi
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Wow, that's an insane amount of calories lost.

My old coworker started going here many years ago and she looks good now. She lost a lot of weight and is into fitness training. Worth it if you have goals for weight loss.

I might try it eventually, and die, for some cardio here and there.

Old Post 06-19-2016 04:34 PM
403ep3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 403ep3 Click here to Send 403ep3 a Private Message Find more posts by 403ep3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

quote:

I will probably get some information about Anytime some time next week and if the pricing is the same or similar to Westside then I might as well join Westside again. I used to be a member there before moving to Edmonton. While I don't really go pool, sauna etc but for the same price it's a no brainer.

Old Post 06-20-2016 01:38 AM
Kjonus

What I drive: 2003 Pathfinder / 2011 Mustang
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

I'll like to think that I'm pretty fit and when I first started I would hit around 1000 cals but now its really hard to get there most times I'm in the 800's. This is normal so they say and make total sense too. As for which type of gym membership to get the only good one is the one that you actually go to and use!

Old Post 06-20-2016 02:23 AM
Kjonus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kjonus Click here to Send Kjonus a Private Message Find more posts by Kjonus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I have a hard time believing that many calories were burned in 60 minutes. Seems optimistic, but thats just based on my research.

HIIT would have a tough time doing that, and the fact is, as you slow down, you technically are burning less calories. Thats a serious amount of work, maybe possible for somebody IN shape, but like I said, I doubt it .

unno:

Do you ever really know what you profess to? Sure, no calorie estimation is entirely accurate, but even if it's off by 10% it is still a hell of a workout. It is also based on HIT. Also bigger people burn more calories due to it taking more energy to do things. a big fit person will burn more than a small fit person and a big fatty will burn more calories than a small fatty.

Here is the workout from yesterday.

Originally posted by Mar

Last edited by dirtsniffer on 06-20-2016 at 03:10 PM

Old Post 06-20-2016 03:07 PM
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

Originally posted by shakalaka
I will probably get some information about Anytime some time next week and if the pricing is the same or similar to Westside then I might as well join Westside again. I used to be a member there before moving to Edmonton. While I don't really go pool, sauna etc but for the same price it's a no brainer.

Funny enough I found Anytime terrible on communication. And I believe the rate they were asking was $55/month. Which I laughed at given the sq footage and what you get. Going it to it I expected the whole 24/7 no staff idea to be more in the $20/month range.

So for $660 a year at Anytime it is not even a fair competition to the rate at westside of $735 (reduces to $705 second year) As the equipment available at westside quite big. For me the free shinny was a huge plus especially last summer with very little work. At a typical $20/drop in for hockey I cut that cost up quite nice.

Hopefully I see that beauty of an X5M around the Aspen area tho

Old Post 06-20-2016 04:07 PM
colinxx235 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I thought it looked high too, but given the heart rate and that you're a big guy I can believe that you're burning around 1000/hr. Good on ya

Old Post 06-20-2016 04:51 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

quote:

Originally posted by colinxx235

Funny enough I found Anytime terrible on communication. And I believe the rate they were asking was $55/month. Which I laughed at given the sq footage and what you get. Going it to it I expected the whole 24/7 no staff idea to be more in the $20/month range.

So for $660 a year at Anytime it is not even a fair competition to the rate at westside of $735 (reduces to $705 second year) As the equipment available at westside quite big. For me the free shinny was a huge plus especially last summer with very little work. At a typical $20/drop in for hockey I cut that cost up quite nice.

Hopefully I see that beauty of an X5M around the Aspen area tho

My biggest thing is that I don't like getting tied into contracts for things like that, plus I have no idea if I am still going to be in Calgary in a year. Which is why I would rather not sign up a year long contract with West Side. But if I have no other choice, then I will. From what I am reading around, it seems like even Anytime wants you to do the contract. If that's the case then I have absolutely no incentive to go there at $55/month when WS ends up being $61/month.

You'll see the truck around I guess, haha. A buddy from Edmonton messaged me yesterday saying he saw my old M3 driven around and how it sounded amazing etc. Instantly made me miss it and regret the swap. But then I drove the X5M this morning and the sheer comfort of it has made things a little better, although I have my doubts every now and then. lol.

Old Post 06-20-2016 05:48 PM
The time now is 05:52 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Orangetheory Fitness

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: