Quantcast
Supermoto touring: YYC to YVR - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Supermoto touring: YYC to YVR

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Default Supermoto touring: YYC to YVR

Figured you guys might get a kick out of this. I'm in the middle of riding my bone stock Huskie 701 SM to Vancouver. Rolling with a good friend on a 650R.

Please, AMA!

The story so far:

Decided to ride the long way to YVR for the Airshow - on some less than practical bikes

The map

First hiccup - lost my plate on the #1 near Louise. Had to ride back to Banff and get a new one. Mounted vertically will helpfully prevent further issues:

Smooth sailing (except for a sore ass) till Creston. From there we made it to rock creek where it was painfully obvious I should've purchased a new rear tire BEFORE the trip:

Decided to try and make it from Rock Creek to Penticton, where a Dunlop Sportsmart 2 awaited at Honda Powersports.

My riding partner was getting frustrated with delays (tire, traffic) and unfortunately low sided his bike on this corner on the crowsnest pass:

Lessons here:

1. Don't ride while frustrated/emotional
    2. ATGATT - he was wearing jeans and even though it was a low speed crash, he tore them open and now has a bum knee/hip/Palm/elbow. He was wearing a proper jacket, but since it wasn't zipped into pants it rode up and he suffered hip rash as a result.

We did make it to Langley, where my cousin runs Supersport Motorcycle Works. If you need bike parts, Dave will sort you out.

We're departing YVR tomorrow morning, I'll have some better riding footage off the GoPro on the way home as we were gunning it out there Thursday and Friday; not much time to get shots.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

reserved for part deux
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Man I did a 150km trip on my 701 before it was stolen, it was horrible for anything more than 30-40km trips around the city. Not sure how you did that distance.

My Ride
    V8s

^Word. That 650R isn't a bad bike at all for a trip that length, way better than a supersport... or a supermoto haha.

I'm surprised you didn't buy an AM seat for your 701!

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Crazy I don't know if I'd attempt a trip like that on a super moto. Hopefully your buddy heals up quick always sucks to hear going down. I know even from low speed crash experience that it hurts. Hurts your pride even more haha

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Shlade
    Crazy I don't know if I'd attempt a trip like that on a super moto. Hopefully your buddy heals up quick always sucks to hear going down. I know even from low speed crash experience that it hurts. Hurts your pride even more haha
    I hear that. I highsided a gsxr while doing a rolling burnout at lunchtime on a packed university campus

edit: I did a >2700km trip on an R1. That was definitely past any comfortable limits of sportiness, but definitely worthwhile when on good roads (i.e. the PCH).
    Last edited by bjstare; 08-15-2016 at 09:07 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I did 1300km on an FZ09 and that was probably my limit in terms of "sportiness" of a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

Super jelly of the road trip on the bike. Keep us updated.

Originally posted by cjblair

edit: I did a >2700km trip on an R1. That was definitely past any comfortable limits of sportiness, but definitely worthwhile when on good roads (i.e. the PCH).
    Did the same thing on my R1 and it was hell until i hit the pch between LA and santa barbara. We rode into SB just as the sun was setting and the moment felt almost unreal because it was so nice.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Did the same thing on my R1 and it was hell until i hit the pch between LA and santa barbara. We rode into SB just as the sun was setting and the moment felt almost unreal because it was so nice.
    Funny you mention that, I had a couple moments like that, the weather and roads combo was just surreal.

Looking forward to more updates from OP as well!