Quantcast
Help finding heating wire. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help finding heating wire.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Default Help finding heating wire.

One of our towel warmers recently bit the dust, so I took it apart to find out that the wire that runs through the chrome tube broke. It's pretty brittle in a few spots so I'd prefer to replace the whole thing with a new wire rather than solder it back together. It's about 20' long and I'm having a tough time finding where to get some. It looks very similar to this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...showimage.html

I think part of the problem is I don't know what the wire is really called so Googling isn't going so well. Thanks mateys!

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

At the end of the day that's extremely similar to what is used as freeze prevention for water lines/pipe.

Just find out what the temperature range and watt/ft and buy it at a Home Depot, or if you really get desperate reach out to a O'Brien or Thermon but they might require you to buy longer lengths than you would want.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I'm not an electrical engineer, but think you would want to be sure to match the resistance (ohms/foot), and the length of the wire so that the current draw and heat output is the same and you don't set your damned house on fire. I thought it was called 'resistance wire', but the searches I did for that show the uninsulated stuff you'd use for an open element.

Man, I need to get out more as I didn't even know there was such a thing as towel warmers. Most definitely I am not baller by any means because I suspect having a towel warmer is somewhat baller.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by speedog
    Man, I need to get out more as I didn't even know there was such a thing as towel warmers. Most definitely I am not baller by any means because I suspect having a towel warmer is somewhat baller.
    I'm not baller either, I also use room temperature towels like some sort of caveman.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

The only makings on the wire are 200°C/300V . And I agree, that the resistance should need to be right for it to work at the right temperature. It seems to work directly off 110 VAC, at least it's simple.

I only use mine as a towel rack (got it for free), it takes too long to heat up and doesn't get really all that warm. It's the exact same one the sis-in-law has and hers broke, so we traded. She uses hers to dry laundry in her apartment Now I'm trying to fix this one for when the one I traded to her breaks, and I enjoy little projects like this.

Fail this, I might try to replace the whole assembly with something more powerful, zero to hellfire in 10 seconds

Home Depot sells pipe heating cables.. not sure if its compatible (I imagine it won't get as hot as a towel warmer does). They also have floor heating cables but those are sold in pretty large sizes so that likely wouldn't work for your application.
    ---