Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!)

What is your/the current employment status
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
There have been layoffs but there will not likely be anymore 33 16.84%
There have been layoffs and there will likely be more 61 31.12%
Steady as she goes - No layoffs yet and there will likely not be any coming 40 20.41%
I'm currently looking for work because I was laid off/quit. 23 11.73%
Our company is actively hiring 17 8.67%
I switched industries 16 8.16%
I may have been laid off/quit but I am back in school 6 3.06%
Total: 196 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
Thread
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: Ford, Acura, Harley
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)
User Rating: 99%

Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!) quote:

Pick the one that best applies to you and expand in the comments.

New quarter so a new thread. I kept the name the same so they are all related but I added a few new poll options that I think are probably a little more relevant to the current market conditions.

I think we are done layoffs at my company. There may be a few forced retirements here or there but I don't anticipate any mass layoffs like there have been in the past. We are slowly bringing people back on a field level but not enough where we are advertising for positions yet.

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Last edited by schurchill39 on 10-05-2016 at 04:28 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2016 04:20 PM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

we are bringing a couple field positions back and our manufacturing staff is going to average 100 hrs of OT per month 'till Christmas instead of hiring more people.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 10-05-2016 05:14 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nzwasp
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Should of been another option that said I was laid off but now ive found work in the same industry.

Old Post 10-05-2016 05:55 PM
nzwasp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for nzwasp Click here to Send nzwasp a Private Message Find more posts by nzwasp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickyh
Neutral

What I drive: 2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

apparently my company is on a hiring spree. I think they made a ton of cuts and now work is picking up they are scrambling to fill.
I'd love my paycut to be given back.

Old Post 10-05-2016 06:21 PM
nickyh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for nickyh Click here to Send nickyh a Private Message Find more posts by nickyh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Oil's on a tear

So far, nothing but the layoffs over a year ago for deadweight/departments that were axed. We'll see if the re-org goes through with no layoffs, cautiously optimistic. Still didn't stop me from telling my boss if he thinks I'm going to travel up north for only 10 hour days when I legitimately work 11-12, he is on f*&king crack.

Old Post 10-05-2016 06:39 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bruceod
First Gear

What I drive: Has wheels
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Oil's on a tear

So far, nothing but the layoffs over a year ago for deadweight/departments that were axed. We'll see if the re-org goes through with no layoffs, cautiously optimistic. Still didn't stop me from telling my boss if he thinks I'm going to travel up north for only 10 hour days when I legitimately work 11-12, he is on f*&king crack.

That union though! Am I right or am I right?

Old Post 10-05-2016 07:12 PM
bruceod is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruceod Click here to Send bruceod a Private Message Find more posts by bruceod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by bruceod

That union though! Am I right or am I right?

I've actually told other bosses that before too, non-union. I'm nobody's bitch. I'd rather be poor and on the streets then suffer under some egotistical asshole who thinks he can get away with not paying me for my work

Luckily, my boss is (mostly) reasonable, and #unionftw.

Old Post 10-05-2016 08:28 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bruceod
First Gear

What I drive: Has wheels
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I've actually told other bosses that before too, non-union. I'm nobody's bitch. I'd rather be poor and on the streets then suffer under some egotistical asshole who thinks he can get away with not paying me for my work

Luckily, my boss is (mostly) reasonable, and #unionftw.

We have a "union" where I am as well. Just poking some fun! I definitely agree, always get paid for your time worked.

Old Post 10-05-2016 09:47 PM
bruceod is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruceod Click here to Send bruceod a Private Message Find more posts by bruceod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I switched industries in 2014 before the sky really started to fall, so I answered the poll according to my current office/company - steady as she goes guvnuh

Old Post 10-05-2016 09:51 PM
Swank is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Laid off ~1/3 of our staff over the past 18 months. Stable for the last 3-4 months though and likely stable for the future. We hired a few people in the past month to fill needed positions.

Old Post 10-05-2016 11:11 PM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Switched industries

Really liking what I am doing right now too... guess there is life beyond the oil patch after all

Old Post 10-06-2016 06:03 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTTB_36

What I drive: 2005 Chevy Trailblazer
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Company still going through layoffs but I am fairly safe now. Still in oil and gas transportation, but became an expat with same company.

Old Post 10-06-2016 12:59 PM
DTTB_36 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DTTB_36 Click here to Send DTTB_36 a Private Message Find more posts by DTTB_36 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RT16V

What I drive: CTSV, 16v old school turbo dodge.
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Switched industries

Really liking what I am doing right now too... guess there is life beyond the oil patch after all

Good to hear! What industry did you end up in?

Old Post 10-06-2016 02:03 PM
RT16V is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RT16V Click here to Send RT16V a Private Message Find more posts by RT16V Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by RT16V

Japanese A/V

Old Post 10-06-2016 02:32 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

We've laid off about 65% of our staff over the last couple years (and we started at a couple thousand), and let go of at least a few hundred contractors over that same time period.

Things are looking a little better now, but they layoffs haven't subsided yet. Cut a few more overhead positions just last week (anywhere from admins to regional leadership team members). The office is just not a very fun place to be. The upside is, the majority of people still around are high performers, so whatever project I'm working on, I've had a great team

Old Post 10-06-2016 02:39 PM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dandia89
Neutral

What I drive: TL
Posts/Day: 0.07

quote:

Originally posted by nzwasp
Should of been another option that said I was laid off but now ive found work in the same industry.

Old Post 10-06-2016 03:21 PM
dandia89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dandia89 Click here to Send dandia89 a Private Message Find more posts by dandia89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

I think we laid off 10-15%. There are still occasional one-offs, but mostly stable now. I've never been safer (or so I think).

Originally posted by cjblair
The upside is, the majority of people still around are high performers, so whatever project I'm working on, I've had a great team

We hired an engineer back during the peak that we knew would be useless (pretty much said so in the interview). Why? He was the only one who applied! Sure enough, first one gone. The dead weight was nice to dump.

Old Post 10-06-2016 03:56 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
legendboy
AMG Killer

What I drive: 6.7 CUMMINS
Posts/Day: 0.84
Trader Rating: (28)

quote:

Switched industries

werd

not working but on ei and studying

https:[email protected]

Old Post 10-06-2016 03:56 PM
legendboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for legendboy Click here to Send legendboy a Private Message Find more posts by legendboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

For people who switched: Who plans on sticking to their new industry?

Old Post 10-06-2016 04:09 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
User Rating: 155%

quote:

I plan on sticking with mine for a while

Originally posted by RT16V

Residential and small commercial structural design out in Vancouver. I am working on kind of a famous landmark right, it will be cool to visit it later and know that I had a hand in it.

Old Post 10-06-2016 04:18 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:11 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: