Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Shipping vehicle from Canada to Europe

Author
Thread
zipdoa
Second Gear

What I drive: Avants, Estates, Variants, Wagons, Touring
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 94%

Shipping vehicle from Canada to Europe quote:

I'm thinking of living in France for a couple of years, and I like the idea of bringing my HDJ81 and Supermoto along with me. I have French citizenship and I have a rough idea of shipping methods and costs, but I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what sort of paperwork is involved?

Would I be able to keep AB plates and insurance? Or would it make more sense to register the vehicles in France?

Pics for general idea:

Originally posted by InRich
tell her I'll pick her up in the vette

The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2016 07:23 PM
zipdoa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zipdoa Click here to Send zipdoa a Private Message Find more posts by zipdoa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

KPHMPH

What I drive: Merc S550, Merc SL550, F-450, ML63
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Maybe message that guy who went to Africa with that Decked out Jeep?

Old Post 10-22-2016 08:33 PM
KPHMPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KPHMPH Click here to Send KPHMPH a Private Message Find more posts by KPHMPH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bart
Second Gear

What I drive: GT TDi
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

you can only keep AB plates in the EU for 6 months officially... canadian insurance doesnt work in europe, you can purchase liability insurance for tourists there

cheapest way is RoRo from tacoma to southampton, Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics

Old Post 10-22-2016 09:09 PM
bart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bart Click here to Send bart a Private Message Find more posts by bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zipdoa
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by bart
you can only keep AB plates in the EU for 6 months officially... canadian insurance doesnt work in europe, you can purchase liability insurance for tourists there

Tacoma, WA? Wouldn't leaving from the East Coast be a more direct route?

The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Old Post 10-26-2016 04:51 PM
zipdoa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zipdoa Click here to Send zipdoa a Private Message Find more posts by zipdoa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Tacoma is the closest W2 port. But i think it would be cheaper to leave from Baltimore, That is W2's main hub.

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:05 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bart
Second Gear

What I drive: GT TDi
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

sure but tacoma is a few hours drive away, shipping car to baltimore or driving there seems more expensive, but then i guess perhaps the boat cost can offset that

anyway i did tacoma

Old Post 10-26-2016 10:59 PM
bart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bart Click here to Send bart a Private Message Find more posts by bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

sure but tacoma is a few hours drive away, shipping car to baltimore or driving there seems more expensive, but then i guess perhaps the boat cost can offset that

anyway i did tacoma

True. Just based on his kickass rig, zipdoa seems like the kinda guy who would drive to Baltimore just for the adventure.

Old Post 10-26-2016 11:10 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zipdoa
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by jacky4566

True. Just based on his kickass rig, zipdoa seems like the kinda guy who would drive to Baltimore just for the adventure.

I'd go visit Maryland and find the projects from 'The Wire'.

Also - compressing fuel makes for cheaper journeys, so the drive might end up being worth it.

The big if-maybe is getting the car registered in France (crazy bureaucracy) and finding work in France. Not sure the journey would be worth it if I only end up staying 6-months.

Old Post 10-27-2016 09:00 PM
soloracer
Second Gear

What I drive: F355 Challenge/URS4/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX/Esprit V8
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I know someone who bought a race car in England. Turned out going air freight was not much different than shipping on the water. Something to consider.

Old Post 11-01-2016 04:14 AM
soloracer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for soloracer Click here to Send soloracer a Private Message Find more posts by soloracer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theo27

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Hi there,
I know this thread is old but i would like your help !!
I am planning to send my car from tacoma to belgium by RORO.
I have a quote from wallenius logistics and i contacted sound brokerage for the booking and they told me i had to use a bonded carrier to transport my car through the US since i am living in Canada ( Vancouver). The bonded carrier( canuck towing) quoted me the shipping from vancouver to tacoma for almost the same price as the RORO !!!! Too expensive

I would like to know if some of you have experienced it (like zipdoa for example) and could give me a feedback. I expected drive my car to tacoma, park it on the boat and pick it up in belgium, seems like it is not as easy ...

Thanks a lot for your help !

Old Post 04-13-2017 03:57 AM
theo27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theo27 Click here to Send theo27 a Private Message Find more posts by theo27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 10:19 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Shipping vehicle from Canada to Europe

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: