Quantcast
Recommend a tire! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a tire!

My Ride
    KTM

Default Recommend a tire!

Does anyone have a tire recommendation for a 2005 Tundra?

I have had the Wrangler Duratrac tires previously on both my 08 Tundra and a 02 Tundra. They are a all around decent tire but looking for other options. I find the aggressive tread is super hard on the painted inner portion of the fenders. They are also likely over kill for my needs.

I basically use the truck as a commuter and to haul my dirt bike riding on weekends- so I do get into some mild mud. I likely do not need something super aggressive but something that works in the mud and snow is needed. I don't plan to switch winters on.

Looking for a similar price point to the Wranglers or less.

Any suggestions?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I liked my Bridgestone revo 2

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by redline
    I liked my Bridgestone revo 2
    I will take a look, thanks!

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    BFG All Terrain T/A KO2. A little less aggressive IMO but still snowflake rated.
    Pretty sure I most of my friends moved away from those and over to Duratracs. I think due to life expectancy, I will look into it. (the were also running them on 2500/3500's)

Thanks for the suggestion!

IMO - if you aren't looking at going through deep snow and mud, you don't need the aggressive AT tire offering from BFG, Toyo, Hankook, Duratrac, Wild Country as they just don't perform as well as an on-road all weather tire, with the exception of probably the Cooper AT/W

they are all sever snowflake rated, but that rating is very old now in terms of its requirements.

Of the aggressive AT style, I'd say the Hankook ATM is probably the most livable, when compared to Duratracs (which I had), or BFG AT KO2... mostly because they are available in a 114/116 P rating on stock sizes

I've heard great thing about the Cooper AT/W, but again they are almost like siped mud tires, so chances are your milage is going to suffer.

If you want good gas mileage, comfort and very good on-road all weather traction, I really recommend: Goodyear Aventura, Michelin LTX and Nokian Rotiiva AT

I would almost not run anything else other than those, unless deliberately looking for a AT tire for AT use.

All those other tires like the BFG Longtrail, Goodyear SRA, lots of crap bridgestone and uniroyal offerings just don't compete, and that includes the Duelers

Now if fuel economy doesn't matter but cost does and you need a good year round traction tire with an aggressive pattern... that work in deep snow, the Wild Country XTX is pretty good, as is Eldorado trail cutters, Falkin AT3W, Kelly Safari
    I've used Wild Countries and liked them alot, just not as well as my Duratracs and not nearly as good as the Rotiiva's on-road.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 11-23-2016 at 10:29 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

^^^

Thanks for the reply.

Its a total toss up. I like the looks of the aggressive tires but really get no use out of the tire itself and the are louder and somewhat kill mileage.

I will check out some of the tires you mentioned. The Hankook Dynapro ATM looks like a nice compromise.

Originally posted by craigcd
    ^^^

Thanks for the reply.

Its a total toss up. I like the looks of the aggressive tires but really get no use out of the tire itself and the are louder and somewhat kill mileage.

I will check out some of the tires you mentioned. The Hankook Dynapro ATM looks like a nice compromise.
    I haven't used the Revo 2s, but the more I look at them, and read the reviews... the more I'm intrested about them.

they appear to carry as much siping as say a Rotiiva, but have deeper self cleaning lugs and shoulders... hrm

I don't know if they have the snowflake ratings.

My Ride
    KTM

Ya not sure how much the snowflake rating actually matters. They will never stack up to a snow tire and neither would Duratracs I guess.

4X4 helps with that.... just less stopping power I guess haha.
    Last edited by craigcd; 11-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.

My Ride
    02 Audi A4/07 SUPER DUKE/03 600RR

Just got the Nokian Rotivas installed yesterday for a good price. Cannot comment much on performance because I haven't driven very much yet, but I will say they are very quiet for an AT. I'll try to post a pic soon.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by Kuba83
    Just got the Nokian Rotivas installed yesterday for a good price. Cannot comment much on performance because I haven't driven very much yet, but I will say they are very quiet for an AT. I'll try to post a pic soon.
    They have a good rating- I am going to add them to the list. Thanks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wrangler Adventure is a bit better for noise, ride and on-road manners. Halfway decent in snow and moderate ice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Michelin LTX A/T2?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya not sure how much the snowflake rating actually matters. They will never stack up to a snow tire and neither would Duratracs I guess.

4X4 helps with that.... just less stopping power I guess haha.
    Snowflakes matter if you head to BC..mandatory on the tires on most of the roads during winter (or need to be M+S)

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...hain-up-routes

My Ride
    LNF

Why not just spray the fender wells with something durable? Like a rock guard. I sprayed the wheel wells of my older GM with rock guard from CT and it held up great.

I would say Michelin LTX AT2. A few people at work run them for highway driving and they last a long time and are good in the snow.

I have BFG KOII's and they are a huge improvement over the original KO. But they perform very similar to the duratracs.

Ive had the michelin LTX's on my truck for a full year now. Same use scenario, winter beater/summer bike hauler. I air the tires up fairly high and get decent range on a tank, road noise is imperceptible over the wind. Can't really compare mud traction, but 4x4 has made up for the less aggressive tread.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I'd recommend buying 4 tires.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    BFG All Terrain T/A KO2. A little less aggressive IMO but still snowflake rated.
    I just got All Terrain T/A KO2 and love them. Was just out hunting by the Brazeau dam today and they were awesome

Pretty sure I most of my friends moved away from those and over to Duratracs. I think due to life expectancy, I will look into it. (the were also running them on 2500/3500's)

Thanks for the suggestion!
    The original BFG KO had brutal life expectancy. However the KO2 are drastically improved. On our field trucks they are split between Duratracs and BFG KO2 and on average the KO2 are getting 90-100k and the Duratracs are getting around 70k. Mind you that's a lot of KM on gravel roads.

I did a pile of research before replacing my F-150 tires and was originally looking at Duratracs but with how much people were raving over how many km's they were getting out of the KO2 I went that route.

(P.S Tirebob had the best prices in town when I was looking around so it would be worth giving him a shout)
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by mzdspd
    Why not just spray the fender wells with something durable? Like a rock guard. I sprayed the wheel wells of my older GM with rock guard from CT and it held up great.

I would say Michelin LTX AT2. A few people at work run them for highway driving and they last a long time and are good in the snow.

I have BFG KOII's and they are a huge improvement over the original KO. But they perform very similar to the duratracs.
    I have LTX AT2 on my truck now and they ROCK but OP said price was a factor and these tires are expensive so i did not recommand them but they are the best all around tire i have used on my truck. they made a world of differnace for towing my trailer...

I was an offroader and I think mud tires are for toys... and are truly only for one condition: Offroad Deep snow and Offroad Mud

The aggressive A/T is a compromise tire, that leans towards offroad protection and use rather than onroad manners but are great if in fact you actually use your truck for offroad purposes.

I thought I would use my Duratracs but as no I'm not a logger, nor drive my truck down lease roads to work.... I ended up wearing those poor 16/32nd lugs down on the road while supporting the O&G industry (loss of up to 2 l/100)

sure they look nice, and performed amazing when under those "conditions" but our winters have been so mild the last 3 years, I was so gutted to see these poor tires waste away for no raisins.

I fully agree that if you aren't going down a winter tire path, still find something with a snowflake rating (as aforementioned regarding driving through say Rogers Pass and Jasper)

and find something that suits your use cases based on the % of time you spend either on or off road.

Between a LTX AT2 to a BFG A/T there is a world of tires that are in that category

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast