Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Adult rec hockey

Author
Thread
grampafunk

What I drive: g2 teg
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 98%

Adult rec hockey quote:

Anyone have any details on Adult rec hockey leagues / learn to play?

Have never played organized hockey, but grew up on the outdoor rinks so am a decent enough skater. I have come across a couple of programs that offer 'learn to play' starting around Christmas time.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or, programs they may have gone through?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-25-2016 10:44 PM
grampafunk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grampafunk Click here to Send grampafunk a Private Message Find more posts by grampafunk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Since you already know how to play you can probably save your money by skipping those *learn to play programs*. https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/

A bunch of us on here went through the NCHL beginners program, met other noobs, organized some shinny, met more people, created a team and then branched off etc.

You have any friends who are currently playing on teams? It's not hard to find a team but finding the right fit is more important. Lots of shinny groups and teams always looking for more players.

Winter league fees are generally around $700-750 (30 games) and summer fees $350-375 (15 games). Jerseys and socks are extra of course. (This is for NCHL)

Off the top of my head these are the beer leagues in Calgary.

CAHL
WRAHL
Heritage League
NCHL
HNA
ASHL

You can join this group on FB. There are always groups posting up shinny games etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalgaryAdultHockey/

Good luck and have fun man. As TeamMcLaren said, if *Sorath* can play hockey, anyone can. lol

Old Post 11-25-2016 11:18 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heinz256
Neutral

What I drive: FA20DIT
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
As TeamMcLaren said, if *Sorath* can play hockey, anyone can. lol

Old Post 11-25-2016 11:34 PM
heinz256 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heinz256 Click here to Send heinz256 a Private Message Find more posts by heinz256 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Winsport has run a learn to play course.

I've never taken one but what are you expecting to get out of it?
You're a decent skater so do you want to improve on that?
Learn how to properly stick handle and shoot?
Learn strategy?

Old Post 11-25-2016 11:48 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grampafunk

What I drive: g2 teg
Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by mr2mike
Winsport has run a learn to play course.

I've never taken one but what are you expecting to get out of it?
You're a decent skater so do you want to improve on that?
Learn how to properly stick handle and shoot?
Learn strategy?

Great info y'all!

I think its likely a confidence thing, getting used to equipment, learning the rules etc.

Old Post 11-26-2016 12:00 AM
grampafunk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grampafunk Click here to Send grampafunk a Private Message Find more posts by grampafunk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I'd almost just join a team and play then.
YouTube has good links for strategies or ways to improve your skills but really it's all practice.

Also get out and play and don't be afraid to ask the better players what you're doing wrong or ways to improve. They can usually give a good tip or two.

Old Post 11-26-2016 12:36 AM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Just keep in mind it's a bit of a crap shoot in the tier 3 levels lol Div 10-14 NCHL. Some guys are good and just wanna play with friends, some are just forever mediocre etc. I know myself after 5 years my skating has improved but I'm still blind out there.

I have said this many times but if baller rage2 and kenny would fork over some advertising dollars for a set of jerseys it would be sick to make a Team Beyond with all sponsors on the jerseys Euro style (as suggested by justing).

Old Post 11-26-2016 02:26 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kavy
Second Gear

What I drive: 2013 Ram 1500 / 2016 Cadillac ATS
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (43)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
Just keep in mind it's a bit of a crap shoot in the tier 3 levels lol Div 10-14 NCHL. Some guys are good and just wanna play with friends, some are just forever mediocre etc. I know myself after 5 years my skating has improved but I'm still blind out there.

I have said this many times but if baller rage2 and kenny would fork over some advertising dollars for a set of jerseys it would be sick to make a Team Beyond with all sponsors on the jerseys Euro style (as suggested by justing).

I'm so in

Old Post 11-26-2016 02:36 AM
Kavy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kavy Click here to Send Kavy a Private Message Find more posts by Kavy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by Kavy
I'm so in

Me too! I've been missing hockey.
A lot.

Old Post 11-26-2016 04:06 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
r3ccOs
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Heritage A and SASM

Old Post 11-27-2016 02:41 AM
r3ccOs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for r3ccOs Click here to Send r3ccOs a Private Message Find more posts by r3ccOs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by r3ccOs
Heritage A and SASM

Are you playing in Heritage A? That's pretty good hockey, isn't it? Mostly ex-junior and major juniors?

Old Post 11-27-2016 08:59 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I would highly recommend the NCHL learn to play hockey program (https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/). I'm in the middle of it right now and it has been a blast. I was in a similar situation as you, I could skate okay but nothing like the guys that played organised hockey as kids. I've cleaned up a lot of my technique and learned plenty. We actually have our first exhibition game tonight and I'm super keen.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 11-29-2016 06:28 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Bump

So I'm running a summer team playing in the NCHL Division 14 (beginner / old slow guys) South. We'll be playing mostly weeknights and not crazy late (none of this 10:30 business). We have one more space to fill, cost is $387 plus about $80 for home & away jerseys (you keep). We've got more than enough spares but just need one more roster player. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Bill

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:04 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I would highly recommend the NCHL learn to play hockey program (https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/). I'm in the middle of it right now and it has been a blast. I was in a similar situation as you, I could skate okay but nothing like the guys that played organised hockey as kids. I've cleaned up a lot of my technique and learned plenty. We actually have our first exhibition game tonight and I'm super keen.

What gets covered in the learn to play?

I did the skating course from Tucker Hockey back in university, which was great for learning skating technique and using my edges. I was an okay skater to begin with from lots of childhood years spent playing shinny. The program wasn't limited to just skating, as we learned stick handling and shooting mechanics (though I still can't shoot a decent slap shot).

Is it similar? Ie. Fundamental individual skill development over team play

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:17 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I did the skating course from Tucker Hockey back in university, which was great for learning skating technique and using my edges. I was an okay skater to begin with from lots of childhood years spent playing shinny. The program wasn't limited to just skating, as we learned stick handling and shooting mechanics (though I still can't shoot a decent slap shot).

This is the NCHL link to explain

https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:37 PM
colinxx235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

quote:

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Mostly individual but they do spend some time on basic team play.

Old Post 04-24-2017 07:18 PM
The time now is 06:28 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Adult rec hockey

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: