Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Lennox Furnace won't light up

Author
Thread
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

Lennox Furnace won't light up quote:

Hi guys,

I have a Lennox furnace and it is going into the Watchguard mode often recently.

A few years back I had an issue where it wouldn't heat, so I cleaned up the flames sensor and everything has been fine since, until about two weeks ago, when I woke up to a cold morning. Went downstairs, took out the sensor again and cleaned it...then it was fine for a week, and now again this morning, cold.

I am getting a glow plug to light up, but there is no ignition. It tries this a few times and then craps out. If I power cucle the furnace eventually it lights up and heats, and usually works for a while, until it doesn't again.

This morning my house dropped to 16 degrees (should be 21), so when I got the furnace going again, I sat there and watched it heat as I knew it would take some time to climb up to 21, and noticed that twice the flame went out...and re-ignited.

Anyways, I am not sure wtf is going on, perhaps a bad gas valve? I am thinking of calling a furnace guy in, but I want to make sure they fix the problem. Do furnace companies usually guarantee their work? My fear is that they will come in, and it will ignite like it does for me after they do something basic, and they will call it a day, only to have to be brought in again..and charged again, to look at the next part.

Any recommendations for a furnace place?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-2016 04:28 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

If its a Lennox furnace, there should be some diagnostic LEDs through the plastic/glass circular window. They should be flashing in a sequence. Find the sequence layout on the front panel and see what the error is

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 12-04-2016 05:20 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maxt
Second Gear

What I drive: something green
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Have you got a multimeter? Check for 24 volts at the gas valve when it goes through its ignition sequence when the hot surface ignitor is glowing brightly and see if you get voltage to the gas valve.

Old Post 12-04-2016 06:20 PM
Maxt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxt Click here to Send Maxt a Private Message Visit Maxt's homepage! Find more posts by Maxt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I had the same thing with mine, it goes into a fail safe mode as it tries to light 5 times and failed. The first 2 times I power cycled it and it was fine but last time, even though the flame sensor that sits in front of one of the torch thingy looked clean I still took it out and gave it a thorough cleaning anyways and the issue hasn't come back yet

What do your diagnostic lights say when this happens?

Old Post 12-04-2016 06:22 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by dj_rice
If its a Lennox furnace, there should be some diagnostic LEDs through the plastic/glass circular window. They should be flashing in a sequence. Find the sequence layout on the front panel and see what the error is

The LEDs indicate that it's in the Watchguard mode, which means it failed to ignite 5 tries in a row.

Originally posted by Maxt
Have you got a multimeter? Check for 24 volts at the gas valve when it goes through its ignition sequence when the hot surface ignitor is glowing brightly and see if you get voltage to the gas valve.

I did some testing previously and it was getting 24 volts, but I have to catch it in a phase where it is not igniting, and it's been igniting all morning since it was dead, so it's hard to catch. I almost have to wait for it to fail before I can test, and with the cold weather coming, a little worried.

I did some reading and people mentioned that the hot surface igniter may not be getting hot enough. The model number is 75M2101 on the igniter. I tested the resistance and it came back at 200ohms, which seemed high, until I read this thread http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-par...p?TOPIC_ID=4373 and someone said that a brand new one of those is 250ohms...so it isn't too far off, using a cheap voltmeter. I might try to find a new one and test it in store with same voltmeter and see if it comes back any differently.

Old Post 12-04-2016 06:30 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Clean your flame sensor and order some backup hot surface igniters.

Edit: change/check your filters also.

Last edited by phreezee on 12-04-2016 at 07:08 PM

Old Post 12-04-2016 06:50 PM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Is it possible I have low gas pressure? Reason I ask is that there have been a few instances where my hot water heater also shut off. I thought it was the thermocouple and bought a new one, but never replaced it...and haven't had any issues since. It happened three times in the time I have lived here (about 7 years). Is there a way I can get gas pressure tested? Is this something Atco would do free of charge as they do with gas leaks...anyone know?

Old Post 12-04-2016 07:14 PM
Maxt
Second Gear

quote:

I haven't seen too many gas service pressure regulators go bad, but I have seen gas meters go bad and stop passing gas for lack of a better description.
Also, old ignitors sometimes don't get hot enough to ignite the gas, even though they still glow orange and seem to work. Over the years I have seen that problem more on Trane equipment but a few lennox here and there as well.
Atco will show up for free, sometimes they just won't carry out the repair.

Old Post 12-04-2016 07:26 PM
Maxt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxt Click here to Send Maxt a Private Message Visit Maxt's homepage! Find more posts by Maxt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Originally posted by phreezee
Clean your flame sensor and order some backup hot surface igniters.

Edit: change/check your filters also.

Yup. That fixed it for me. Easy to check and fix.

Old Post 12-04-2016 08:05 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
First Gear

What I drive: rs4, ram, 675f3
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I bet it's sensor or ignitor I had both go in my furnace over the last few years. I have a spare sensor now. If it's that just clean your old one. Looks like a long metal stick about 3-4 inches.

Old Post 12-04-2016 08:06 PM
danno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danno Click here to Send danno a Private Message Find more posts by danno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Clean the sensor, vacuum up any debris.

Old Post 12-04-2016 10:35 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GOnSHO
Second Gear

What I drive: 09 Ram Sport, 07 R6
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (36)

quote:

had the same issue, ended up being my blower motor.. no movement of air, flame kept going out.

$900.00 to fix/replace

Originally posted by BlueSTI
Shoulder checks are for kids who just received their driver's licence. Trust me, if I wanted to side swipe you, you wouldn't be sitting in front of your computer reading this. I only cut you off GENTLY.

Old Post 12-04-2016 11:38 PM
GOnSHO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GOnSHO Click here to Send GOnSHO a Private Message Find more posts by GOnSHO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

WTF $900?!? You know a new furnace is like $3500.

Old Post 12-05-2016 01:32 AM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maxt
Second Gear

quote:

If its a newer high efficiency furnace, with modulating motors, it can go way higher than that ^^^ for some of the failures.

Old Post 12-05-2016 02:00 AM
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

Yup. That fixed it for me. Easy to check and fix.

Was it the sensor or the igniter?

I am leaning more towards the gas valve or the igniter not being hot enough, as I don't think the flame sensor comes into play, as there is no flame yet at that point.

Got a laptop setup right now on constant record to record what is happening, and a voltmeter hooked up and in view, to capture what the voltmeter says when the furnace doesn't ignite. It's happening more and more often now, 3 times today, until today was fine for the last week, and until last week was fine for over two years. I wish something was just dead, instead of this sporadic behavior.

Old Post 12-05-2016 02:28 AM
Maxt
Second Gear

quote:

One more thing to watch for, on most lennox furnaces, the ignitor is on one side and the sensor at the other, so also watch that the flame is carrying over from one burner to the next on ignition. It might be lighting but not lighting the last burner where the sensor is...if thats the case, the carryover passages in the burner are probably plugged with dirt.

Old Post 12-05-2016 02:38 AM
jeffh
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

If hot surface ignitor is glowing red hot, but no flame after that, it is a gas related issue. If you get fire and then it goes out promptly, it is likely the flame sensor. And the previous post by Maxt brings up a good point as well

Old Post 12-05-2016 03:27 AM
jeffh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffh Click here to Send jeffh a Private Message Find more posts by jeffh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by jeffh
If hot surface ignitor is glowing red hot, but no flame after that, it is a gas related issue. If you get fire and then it goes out promptly, it is likely the flame sensor. And the previous post by Maxt brings up a good point as well

All my burners light up. I think the most likely culprit is the gas....reason being is this morning then it was warming up from 16 to 22....once i got it ignited...it kept going for a good 5 minutes or so....and then abruptly cut off the flame...the igniter came on again..and then it relight and continued heating.

There is some sort of a pressure adjustment thing on the gas valve....is this something that I should play with...?

Really not sure where to go from here.

Old Post 12-05-2016 03:47 AM
Maxt
Second Gear

quote:

Not without a manometer and that adjusts the firing rate. Call atco they'll send someone out.

Old Post 12-05-2016 03:59 AM
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Originally posted by eblend
All my burners light up. I think the most likely culprit is the gas....reason being is this morning then it was warming up from 16 to 22....once i got it ignited...it kept going for a good 5 minutes or so....and then abruptly cut off the flame...the igniter came on again..and then it relight and continued heating.

There is some sort of a pressure adjustment thing on the gas valve....is this something that I should play with...?

Really not sure where to go from here.

Unless you have a manometer(edit* day late dollar short)I wouldn't. You may end up just complicating any future troubleshooting.

Maxt mentioned earlier you have to find out if the gas valve is getting 24v and remaining closed, or does a loss of supply voltage cause the gas valve to close? This will help eliminate/confirm the gas valve as the issue. The fact you described the loss of flame as "abrupt" suggests there's a fault somewhere else that causes the gas valve to close.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?

Originally posted by Toma
rx7_turbfoags best friend

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 12-05-2016 04:10 AM
rx7_turbo2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7_turbo2 Click here to Send rx7_turbo2 a Private Message Find more posts by rx7_turbo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:40 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Lennox Furnace won't light up

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: