Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Author
Thread
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

TELUS fibre (FTTH) quote:

TELUS FTTH (fiber to the home) - who's got it, who's getting it soon?

We've have had fibre to our home since it was put into service on our block, started with the 50Mbps plan and just this past week bumped up to the 150Mbps plan because it was cheaper than what we were paying for 50. Easily getting more than 150 up and down, quite happy with the service and my 40% discount makes it even better.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2016 08:15 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

Re: TELUS fibre (FTTH) quote:

Originally posted by speedog
TELUS FTTH (fiber to the home) - who's got it, who's getting it soon?

just this past week bumped up to the 150Mbps plan because it was cheaper than what we were paying for 50.

Same boat as you. We were paying more for the 50 and switched to 150 for little cheaper. Telus tech comes tomorrow. Can you tell a difference from 50 to 150?

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 12-20-2016 03:47 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
First Gear

What I drive: rs4, ram, 675f3
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

We have it in evergreen, it's cheaper for us to. I don't even notice the 150 being faster.

Old Post 12-20-2016 04:24 PM
danno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danno Click here to Send danno a Private Message Find more posts by danno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
User Rating: 97%

quote:

i guess the only difference will be in the speed test.

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 12-20-2016 04:34 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasimmon
Neutral

What I drive: 2 feet and a heartbeat
Posts/Day: 0.09
User Rating: 100%

quote:

We have Telus fibre in our condo building and it isn't very good. Have had the tech come and tell me "oh its because of all the interference because its a condo building and you are close to downtown". So they installed this 5G adapter and lo and behold it still sucks.

I think you should be able to watch videos on youtube/facebook without constant buffering on fibre no?

Old Post 12-20-2016 04:37 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Can't honestly say I've seen any differences between 50 and 150, maybe gamers would but a gamer I am not.

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:07 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by lasimmon
We have Telus fibre in our condo building and it isn't very good. Have had the tech come and tell me "oh its because of all the interference because its a condo building and you are close to downtown". So they installed this 5G adapter and lo and behold it still sucks.

I think you should be able to watch videos on youtube/facebook without constant buffering on fibre no?

Is it fibre to your unit or only to the building?

Also never have had any buffering issues on 50 or 150 whether on wifi or wired.

Last edited by speedog on 12-20-2016 at 05:11 PM

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:08 PM
lasimmon
Neutral

quote:

Pretty sure the Unit as I have googled model of the unit that is connected to the wall and its some Fibre thing (I am not that tech knowledgeable haha)

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:10 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by lasimmon
Pretty sure the Unit as I have googled model of the unit that is connected to the wall and its some Fibre thing (I am not that tech knowledgeable haha)

Little white box?

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:12 PM
lasimmon
Neutral

quote:

Yup

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:23 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Faster internet doesn't do much for gamers as long as the ping is still good (which is probably the same or similar on 50 vs 150 Mbps) and assuming of course there is enough bandwidth to play the game to begin with.

It makes an enormous difference for heavy downloaders, or households with lots of people streaming at the same time. Even when you download an update for a game, program, etc. if it takes 1/3 the time that's great.

If you just surf the web and are generally a light user, you will probably notice zero difference.

I'm just glad fast internet seems to be getting much cheaper than it was previously for everyone.

Old Post 12-20-2016 05:24 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Faster internet doesn't do much for gamers as long as the ping is still good (which is probably the same or similar on 50 vs 150 Mbps) and assuming of course there is enough bandwidth to play the game to begin with.

Exactly. And fibre is kind when it comes to ping. 4ms ping on my new telus fibre through wireless I remember "back in the day" with Shaw's 50mbps package when that was "extreme" and wired you were still getting anywhere from 30-50ms

Old Post 12-20-2016 06:36 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Exactly. And fibre is kind when it comes to ping. 4ms ping on my new telus fibre through wireless I remember "back in the day" with Shaw's 50mbps package when that was "extreme" and wired you were still getting anywhere from 30-50ms

With games though it's the ping to the game server is what can be the killer, no matter how good your home internet is or how good your ping to your ISP is.

Depends on the game I'm sure, but what I have found with every first person shooter I have tried to play in the past several years is that 99% of servers are in the USA, and your ping is 3-4X worse than all the people playing in California or whatever, so unless everyone you're playing against has the reaction time of an 80 year old, you are always at a massive disadvantage. I've stopped playing them almost entirely due to this.

Old Post 12-20-2016 06:42 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I got the 150 FTTH as well, had it since they got it in Evergreen. Love my 160+ up and down, I definitely notice the difference, but I am a power user. Was on 25 and 50 before this.....didn't need more than 50...but cuz of shaw match deal went on 150...not sure if I can ever go back to slower haha.

Old Post 12-20-2016 08:33 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Telus doesn't have fibre in my area, and the "bonded" connections suck.

Old Post 12-21-2016 08:27 AM
Hero_X is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hero_X Click here to Send Hero_X a Private Message Find more posts by Hero_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.32
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Am on Telus internet 15. Can stream two netflix shows simultaneously without buffering. Can't understand the point of faster internet.

Old Post 12-21-2016 02:10 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Am on Telus internet 15. Can stream two netflix shows simultaneously without buffering. Can't understand the point of faster internet.

I am on the 25 plan. for 95% of the time it is great. But when I am D/Ling a game for the XB1 or uploading to youtube, I would kill for those 150 numbers.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 12-21-2016 05:00 PM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.65
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

I assume you only drive a 130hp car?

Old Post 12-21-2016 05:56 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GQBalla
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 139%

quote:

On Telus 150

Works better then Shaw 150 in my area

response to 8.8.8.8 was consistently 60 ms with Shaw and now down to 16 ms

also so far am not experiencing the same loss that I had with Shaw.

for the Shaw lovers, Shaw has come out and replaced the fibre once
their media converter 4 times
"their refresh on their end" probably shut no shut

Old Post 12-21-2016 06:56 PM
GQBalla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GQBalla Click here to Send GQBalla a Private Message Find more posts by GQBalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Fun fact, and the main reason FTTH from Telus is really my only option. I use plex at home for all my media, and my parents and sister in Vancouver access my server to view remotely using Roku players. You can adjust the quality of the stream from lower bitrate transcoded...or run a direct stream like it's local. For fun was watching Planet Earth 2 at their place yesterday (~10gb file for 58 min episode)...it was 20mbps stream, watched it all at this high bitrate without so much as a hiccup. Then I realized that my upload is like 168mbps....which means I can have 8 people watching....at full bitrate...and they should all be able to keep up

This was more an example for RealJimmyJames as to why anyone needs faster internet. I utilize mine pretty heavily and it never skips a beat.

Old Post 12-23-2016 01:13 AM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:09 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: