Quantcast
Canker Sores, Your Toothpaste and You (Not Cold Sores/herpes) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canker Sores, Your Toothpaste and You (Not Cold Sores/herpes)

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Lightbulb Canker Sores, Your Toothpaste and You (Not Cold Sores/herpes)

Thought I'd share with beyonders in case anyone else suffers from these painful little buggers.

For the past few years whenever I would accidentally bite my cheek or lip or nick my gums I would always get a canker sore that would last for a few days. I tried everything to get rid of them and speed up healing such as hydrogen peroxide rinses, mouthwash, salt water, changing diet, brushing my teeth several times a day etc etc and nothing really seemed to have a major impact on speeding up the healing process other than just having to ride them out.

Recently it seemed that recovery times were getting longer and the canker sores more painful which prompted me to look deeper into possible treatments when i stumbled across some recent studies showing a link between Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in toothpastes (SLS for short, a foaming agent and surfactant) which apparently kicks the shit out of your mucous lining in your mouth and inhibits the healing of lacerations in the mouth. Several studies showed a significant correlation between instances and severity of canker sores with SLS in toothpastes so I figured I'd try out some of the SLS free toothpastes on the market (went with sensodyne mint) and literally within a day the two little bastards on my lower lip started shrinking and healing. Pain went down significantly and within 48 hours they are almost gone. In contrast the last bout I had a few weeks back lasted for almost two weeks. Needless to say I'm thrilled and hope this may be the end of my relationship with these painful little bastards. In hindsight, it's likely that my increased brushing with SLS toothpastes was only making things worse and slowing down the healing process.

http://askthedentist.com/toothpaste-canker-sores/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20021262

http://www.therabreathcanada.com/res...ankersores.asp

/sharing is caring

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Any recent bloodwork?

Low neutrophils can cause increased canker sores. What's your total WBC count?

No need for alarm, but this could be something much more. Getting sick often?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Agree that SLS is not helpful. I have been dealing with cankers (mostly stress caused but sometimes bit cheek as well) since I was 13 and found the same effect. I use PRONAMEL toothpaste now.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by Darkane
    Any recent bloodwork?

Low neutrophils can cause increased canker sores. What's your total WBC count?

No need for alarm, but this could be something much more. Getting sick often?
    Dont think so. Otherwise healthy to the best of my knowledge, rarely sick and had full bloodwork done not long ago and no flags raised. Fingers crossed SLS is the culprit and I can kiss these goodbye.

My Ride
    2005 F350

i used to get really bad canker sores fairly regularly. a friend of mine told me to switch to colgate brand toothpaste and it has significantly cut down the frequency them.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Good to know. I imagine it's one of those things where it(sls) is not good but many will never have It cause anything noticeable. I will read my toothpaste when I get home.

Sucks getting older and actually having to start listening to what your body is telling you.