Quantcast
New 2018 Odyssey announced - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 Odyssey announced

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Talking New 2018 Odyssey announced

For all the soccer moms/dads... never thought I'd be interested in a minivan

jump to 10:00 to skip to the debut

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Looks like a standard evolution of a minivan. Nothing earth shattering here.

Can the industry not make a low-slung, legitimately SPORTY minivan? Is that so hard? Power is easy to come by these days... even from relatively frugal engines, so that shouldn't be a problem. Handling is always going to be a challenge with so much mass, but I'm sure they can come up with something.

I really don't understand how the Mazda5 wasn't more popular. It ALMOST hit the mark I'm talking about... though perhaps a little underwhelming in the power department. Just take that strategy and add a turbocharger, a bit more size, more aggressive styling, and I think it would be a hit.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-09-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Debut is at 10:00. Looks OK, as mentioned above, standard evolution. They already make probably the best van and it's a Honda so they can do whatever they want and sell thousands.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Looks like a big Mazda 5
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I was hoping for a more JDM styling odyssey like the one they have overseas, but very disappointed they went with the more traditional american styling.

10 speed transmission... which had problems with the MDX/Pilot line up. hopefully they fixed those issues.

I could see the middle moving seats to be a big hit with parents. very annoying strapping a kid into the middle seat in my current car.

New tech seems pretty basic. Other than the intercom system and video monitoring, everything else I've seen before.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version would have been nice

Sliding seat is awesome! Just wish they could have a AWD option like the Sienna.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

I like the look of it. Needs AWD option and panoramic sunroof option like the Sienna. The new features like cameras and intercom seem useless to me. I do like the sliding seats but wont' work if you keep that middle seat in there.

Sold my 2015 Odyssey since it wasn't able to tow as much as I would like. I would be interested to see if this now can tow 4000-5000 lbs versus the old 3500 lbs. Miss having the sliding doors on a van compared to a big truck.

I would like my wife to drive one and replace her RDX some day but she won't agree to that.

I'm surprised AWD isn't a bigger selling feature in these "family haulers". Especially since a lot of people buy SUVs instead (but more to sit high or avoid the minivan driver stereotypes). I'm sure they could put in some crappy 90% of the time FWD AWD system for cheap and the people who wanted it would be all over it.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I'm surprised AWD isn't a bigger selling feature in these "family haulers". Especially since a lot of people buy SUVs instead (but more to sit high or avoid the minivan driver stereotypes). I'm sure they could put in some crappy 90% of the time FWD AWD system for cheap and the people who wanted it would be all over it.
    They handle very well in the snow and ice when I had one. The weight and how low it is helps, plus add winter tires and it will get through the worse of the winter conditions. But I do agree, AWD would make them sell way more then the Sienna. Guess they just don't want to spend that added $ to see if it does sell more in that space.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have never wished mine was AWD. Probably keep it forever, still runs great, and is generally awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't think cameras and intercom is anything new. I'm fairly certain I read or wrote about it in another minivan a while back. It's definitely a nice to have feature based on the minivans that I've rented/driven.

AWD is a must have and interesting that Honda doesn't even have it as an option. My guess is the space eaten up for the center tunnel to drive the rear wheels. We rented a Sienna AWD a couple years back with winter tires in a solid snowstorm in BC, thing ripped through unplowed mountain roads like it was nothing. Made driving the thing half decent enjoyable. FWD Caravan and Town and Country were just terrible to drive in winter. Bland and slow.

Kloubek, it's too bad that Hellcat Pacifica was pretty much a pipe dream. 750hp AWD Pacifica, I'd buy one just for the lolz even if I didn't have kids.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    My guess is the space eaten up for the center tunnel to drive the rear wheels.

That wheel well that turn into storage is blocking the shaft.

If Odessesy goes AWD, it will probably be the electric system in RLX. But it's so niche now, I don't think they will do it.

At least Chrysler got the balls to do a plug-in EV/Hybrid Pacifica.

My Ride
    bus

No awd, no care

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Looks like the stole the side swoop from a Mazda.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by rage2
    it's too bad that Hellcat Pacifica was pretty much a pipe dream. 750hp AWD Pacifica, I'd buy one just for the lolz even if I didn't have kids.
    Damn... I thought they actually WERE going to make that. It obviously doesn't make a lot of practical sense, but it sure would have been something to brag about.

I'm not even talking that extreme. The Sienna already has... what... 300 horsepower? That's actually amazing compared to the minivans of yesterday, so they are already half there. How about add an extra 50 horsepower, lose 500 pounds and 30 cubic feet of cargo capacity to keep it lighter and noticeably smaller. That still leaves you with some 120 cubic feet behind the 1st seats which should be ample for all but big families. Then you design it into something people actually want to look at, keep it low and wide. AWD - sure... why not.

Now you have a vehicle that is fun, isn't embarrassing to be caught driving in, AND has enough room and practicality for all but the biggest families. What's not to like about that?

Sigh. But then, I was the guy who years ago said that Coke and Pepsi should make a sugar-reduced cola. No, not replaced with sweeteners... just 2/3 the sugar of regular cola, but everything else exactly the same. Many people I speak to say - yeah, that's a great idea. But do they make it? Nope. The insist on adding extra sweeteners to get to the original sweetness.

Do the auto manufacturers want to make something fun to drive and look at? Nope. They insist on the blandness of a family vehicle.

My Ride
    W222 S550 LWB

Is the new Odyssey turbo'd? I got tired of listening to the guy talk lol

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Don't mind this thing. Ultimate swap is ths 3.7 from the TL, bolt ons and 6sp. Bizi did it but the turbo'd it for 1000hp lol.

330-350hp manual. Would be sick.

The JDM van came with 6sp k24. Would have been a riot.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by Darkane
    Don't mind this thing. Ultimate swap is ths 3.7 from the TL, bolt ons and 6sp. Bizi did it but the turbo'd it for 1000hp lol.

330-350hp manual. Would be sick.

The JDM van came with 6sp k24. Would have been a riot.
    I believe the 6sp K24 JDM 'van' is the Honda Stream. Which I thought we were supposed to get...

Doesn't look anything special to me, ugly to be honest. Reminds me of that Lincoln MKT hearse style SUV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Kloubek

How about add an extra 50 horsepower, lose 500 pounds and 30 cubic feet of cargo capacity to keep it lighter and noticeably smaller. That still leaves you with some 120 cubic feet behind the 1st seats which should be ample for all but big families. Then you design it into something people actually want to look at, keep it low and wide. AWD - sure... why not.

Now you have a vehicle that is fun, isn't embarrassing to be caught driving in, AND has enough room and practicality for all but the biggest families. What's not to like about that?

When we were shopping back in 2011 we checked out the Mazda 5. I liked the way it drove but that vehicle is way too small. I would be ok with losing weight and more power but any less cargo capacity I wouldn't want in a van. Also these vans are very low already so not sure they can go any lower.

Had ours for 5 years now. I don't see us giving it up any time soon. In that time it has only had oil changes, 1 transmission fluid change and 1 new battery just recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast