Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Fashion and Luxury > Suits?

Author
Thread
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Suits? quote:

Getting married in August and finally need to buck up and get a suit. No beyond baller, so probably a budget around a grand.

Suggestions? Most of my work revolves around the field, so i've managed to go my entire career without a full suit, so very green.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2017 03:59 PM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

$1000 is a LOT for buying a suit to begin with, but most people just rent a tux for a couple of hundred.

Old Post 01-12-2017 04:03 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

If it's something you've gone without and don't need, consider renting?

$1000 will get you something nicely tailored. Heard great things about Indochino and that's where I plan to get my next suit whenever I decide I need another one lol.

Old Post 01-12-2017 04:05 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasimmon
Neutral

What I drive: 2 feet and a heartbeat
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Last few weddings I have been in/to the suits haev been ordered from China through EPH Apparal or indochino. Great pricing for a custom suit.

Old Post 01-12-2017 04:06 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

Figure I should probably buy a suit that I can wear to functions that i've been slacking on the suit front (the ol' business casual at other weddings, xmas parties, etc). Gotta grow up sometime!

Old Post 01-12-2017 04:17 PM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I feel like at the $1000 mark you are 100% for sure paying for brand name and nothing else at that point. Full custom suits with good material are usually around the $500 mark if I am not mistaken. A cheap suit that fits you well will also look a million times better than a poorly fitting off-the-rack suit from a big brand name and a high price tag.

Indochino's Premium suits are only $520. Especially if you are only going to wear it once (for the wedding, since you don't own one already) I think spending $1000 would be a huge waste. Nobody's going to be looking at you anyways on the wedding day Put the extra money toward a Honeymoon.

Old Post 01-12-2017 05:51 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
asp integra
Second Gear

What I drive: A4 Avant 6MT
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

2 Friends got theirs at Huey Lam Suits. They are very nice and cost about $500. http://www.hueylamsuits.ca/

current ski quiver:
park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Old Post 01-12-2017 06:01 PM
asp integra is offline Click Here to See the Profile for asp integra Click here to Send asp integra a Private Message Find more posts by asp integra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GT.....O?

What I drive: 2012 F150, R6
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

I ordered a suit from Black Lapel, did all the measuring with help from the girlfriend, great suit, great quality and came within a couple weeks. all the measurements are plugged in online with videos to guide you, pretty easy

They are made in NY and if i remember correctly they give you 1 free adjustment with shipping covered. Either way, give them a look. Came out to around 700 bucks even with our shitty dollar

Old Post 01-12-2017 06:05 PM
GT.....O? is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GT.....O? Click here to Send GT.....O? a Private Message Find more posts by GT.....O? Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hks

What I drive:

quote:

Ignore everything everyone has said in this thread.
A well made and well tailored suit is 100% worth the money. I would personally avoid getting a custom suit made online. It's hard to tell how something will fit and look on you by just looking at pictures.

Harry is having a made to measure sale right now and I think Holt will be having theirs sometime in the next month. It will cost about 1g depending on manufacturer, fabric, extras etc etc.
Just go into one of these stores and talk to the suit ppl (the guys at Harry are awesome), they're super knowledgeable and have some good insight.

Old Post 01-12-2017 06:40 PM
hks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hks Click here to Send hks a Private Message Find more posts by hks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

^+1 Though I can't say I recommend HR, had a pretty bad experience all through the process last time I was there but I think a lot of it had to do with my consultant who really just sucked and couldn't wrap his head around my actual needs and was too focused on what he wanted. Will probabaly try HR next time around.

Suit itself turned out great though and their mtm was about 900 to start which is a great investment if your body style isn't 100% of the rack.

You get what you pay for and no way I would leave something like that to an online retailer. Shirts maybe but a suit needs to be tried on and adjusted a couple times.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 01-12-2017 06:49 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bh87

What I drive: 2014 J150 1UR-FE

quote:

Go custom fit, wherever it is you choose to buy from. Having a custom fit suit is much nicer than "off the rack" suits (even when altered to fit).

I use a travelling tailor from Hong Kong called Vogue Tailors , they come to Calgary every September and March (clothes arrive 2-3 weeks after the visit) and have a huge selection of fabrics and colors to choose from (they do shirts too) email is: [email protected]

The first appointment will take about 45 mins to do your measurements and take photo's of your posture etc. then pick out colors and fabrics.

There are a few of these companies around, the one I use has a package deal that is $1,100 USD for 2 suits & 4 shirts. This might be overkill for your needs since you have gotten away without a suit for quite a while, but they have pricing per suit/shirt and other packages as well.

My brother in law used them for his wedding suit (and shirt) as well as the groomsmen to have all the suits the same cut and color and so did a few different friends and you can bargain with them for a package like that. You will still need to decide if you and the groomsmen are wearing a vest (and if so, if yours will be any different than theirs), what tie to wear (and maybe pocket square) and what shoes (and socks!). If you go with Vogue, the sales guy "Bhat" will happily recommend color, style, cut, shoes, tie, the works for you to look your best. I imagine other tailors will as well, but base that decision on if you like what the tailor is wearing themselves.

Once you have a suit you might be surprised at the number of occasions that it is useful for.

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:06 PM
bh87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bh87 Click here to Send bh87 a Private Message Find more posts by bh87 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos
^+1 Though I can't say I recommend HR, had a pretty bad experience all through the process last time I was there but I think a lot of it had to do with my consultant who really just sucked and couldn't wrap his head around my actual needs and was too focused on what he wanted. Will probabaly try HR next time around.

Suit itself turned out great though and their mtm was about 900 to start which is a great investment if your body style isn't 100% of the rack.

You get what you pay for and no way I would leave something like that to an online retailer. Shirts maybe but a suit needs to be tried on and adjusted a couple times.

Wait.... you didn't differentiate your HR's!!!

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:18 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

^ LMAO i didn't even notice that.

Bad Experience with Harry Rosen, would consider giving Holt Renfrew a try next time or more likely go to a smaller shop in town.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

fact.

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:21 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

$1k is a decent budget... not sure what these other guys are talking about. Those online guys start at $500 and the premium stuff is $1k when it's not on sale

Suits from Moores are even $600, unless you buy two and get the second half off

I have 3 suits, navy, grey, and black

The black one is my nice one and was around $800 or so. I'm blessed with fitting off the rack incredibly well, which is nice. This suit though is super comfortable and very slim thanks to the material that has a bit of stretch to it.

Go to any proper men's store and they will be able to set you up. These guys usually can eyeball your sizes just by looking at you since they are so experienced, which is a must when you're new to suits

Keep in mind the cost of shirts and ties though, they add up quick and are what's going to help your suit be more versatile

If you're going to get just one suit, I think most people would pick black, but I honestly think a vivid blue is more versatile, and modern... doesn't look like you're attending a funeral all the time

For shirts I actually prefer shopping at moores, the awearness Kenneth Cole stretch extreme slim fit shirts are a great fitting shirt for me, no alterations and again, with the stretch it's super comfortable. Much cheaper than the brands you'll find at the high end shops where you should be getting your suit

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:24 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

^ LMAO i didn't even notice that.

Bad Experience with Harry Rosen, would consider giving Holt Renfrew a try next time or more likely go to a smaller shop in town.

O'Connors for downtown... or Thomas Jeffery's if you're in the south

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:26 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry

If you're going to get just one suit, I think most people would pick black, but I honestly think a vivid blue is more versatile, and modern... doesn't look like you're attending a funeral all the time

For shirts I actually prefer shopping at moores, the awearness Kenneth Cole stretch extreme slim fit shirts are a great fitting shirt for me, no alterations and again, with the stretch it's super comfortable. Much cheaper than the brands you'll find at the high end shops where you should be getting your suit

+1 on the Kenneth Cole, i have had some really good luck with their Reaction line. I buy like half a dozen during Bay days for almost nothing.

I would still say if you are going to own one suit go with black. Black always works.

Originally posted by ercchry

O'Connors for downtown... or Thomas Jeffery's if you're in the south

Yea I have heard a lot of good things from them and I need to give them a shot, have meant to pop in to look at some shoes as well.

fact.

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:33 PM
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

O'Connors is good shit. Love their shoe selection. ALLEN EDMONDS ERRWHERE

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:40 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

I would still say if you are going to own one suit go with black. Black always works.

See my issue with black is its tough to dress down with, also more of an office/evening event colour. Also chances are if you only own one suit, you don't have a sports jacket/blazer... and with the blue you can almost get away with using it as a blazer since the only real giveaway is the buttons... and 9/10 people won't even notice those

Plus brown belt/shoes>black

Old Post 01-12-2017 07:46 PM
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Every man needs:

- Black suit
- Navy suit
- Charcoal suit

Usually black suit is the safe bet, but as ercchry mentioned it's not as versatile.

Old Post 01-12-2017 08:18 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)

quote:

Originally posted by hks
Ignore everything everyone has said in this thread.
A well made and well tailored suit is 100% worth the money.

Well made / well tailored suits are exactly what everyone has been recommending

I have several friends who had locally tailored shirts and suits (HR, Holt, Umberto, and another place I don't remember the name), they were unhappy, fit was average, and were super expensive, so it's not a guarantee either way. I have a $1,600 suit from Supreme menswear that even after a trip through Giovanni's tailor doesn't fit nearly as good as my online custom suits. I'm sure sometimes it works out great but local and expensive doesn't mean anything. The online places also pay for any minor alterations you may need (locally) for that final, perfect fit. If you screwed up the measurements entirely, they will remake the product. The measuring is generally extremely easy. Paying 2-3 times the money for what is likely to be nothing but a brand name is not universally good advice IMHO. People should at the very least look at all options.

The online places have perpetual sales, so nobody ever pays full price.

Especially since it sounds like this will be the only time the OP ever wears a suit, buying a really expensive one seems like a waste. Maybe renting would be the way to go.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 01-12-2017 at 08:35 PM

Old Post 01-12-2017 08:33 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:45 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Fashion and Luxury > Suits?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: