Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > 50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah quote:

JWN has published their weekly rig count, and as of Friday, they had 325 active and 325 down. Note that they count slightly differently than the CAODC, so their number is always a bit higher. Once CAODC publishes on Monday I will update. Last week CAODC was 252/654 for 39%. I think they'll be 290-ish this week.

The fleet has scrapped a huge number of rigs. I can recall when the fleet was over 800, so 200+ rigs have been cut up. That's probably a good thing. I spent a year working with some of the worst rigs PD had to offer back in the boom times, and they truly aren't competitive.

Wages haven't risen anywhere as far as I know, but certain positions are getting quite high demand, and if you have your class 1 and a clean abstract, you should be able to go to work right away many places.

Hiring has picked up in Calgary head offices too, although interestingly, it appears Production is where the bulk of the postings have been. Very few in the D&C or Geoscience worlds. I think I've seen more engineering jobs posted in the last 6 weeks than in the previous 12 months!

Not quite double meat subs for everyone yet, but I truly feel like we are making good progress here. Remains to be seen how the next two months of OPEC data, Trump presidency, European uncertainty and other geopolitical factors translate into commodity prices and business outlook.

Originally posted by R154
Let me break this down for you since clearly you wear a helmet full time.

I basically am calling you an idiot altogether. I am no longer attempting to show you a reasoned argument, I'm attempting to be entertaining at your expense.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2017 03:47 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Maxt
Second Gear

What I drive: something green
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Is that the certain class of rig? Includes service rigs?

Old Post 01-14-2017 04:34 PM
Maxt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxt Click here to Send Maxt a Private Message Visit Maxt's homepage! Find more posts by Maxt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Cement crews are desperate for class 1 hands. Experienced or not. Sanjel had a 24 delay yesterday for lack of crews in central AB.

Wages are still sh*t, don't kid yourself thinking the shortage will pay you more.

Old Post 01-14-2017 04:55 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Maxt
Is that the certain class of rig? Includes service rigs?

These stats are for drilling rigs only, but covers all classes of those, from shallow singles, super single, doubles, heavy doubles, triples walking pad rigs etc.

CAODC does publish service rig counts, but these days with a huge volume of completions being done rigless, it's not as good of an activity indicator as it used to be. Drilling is still a pretty decent proxy.

http://www.caodc.ca/rig-counts-service-rig-sr-month

I basically am calling you an idiot altogether. I am no longer attempting to show you a reasoned argument, I'm attempting to be entertaining at your expense.

Old Post 01-14-2017 04:58 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SKR
First Gear

What I drive: Trucks and junk
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (0)

Re: 50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not quite double meat subs for everyone yet, but I truly feel like we are making good progress here. Remains to be seen how the next two months of OPEC data, Trump presidency, European uncertainty and other geopolitical factors translate into commodity prices and business outlook.

If we're in the same shape after breakup as we are now, wow am I going to waste a lot of money on stupid shit after not being able to for two years.

Old Post 01-15-2017 03:29 AM
SKR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SKR Click here to Send SKR a Private Message Find more posts by SKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
soloracer
Second Gear

What I drive: F355 Challenge/URS4/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX/Esprit V8
Posts/Day: 0.24
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I get asked all the time if there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn't go popping the champagne corks just yet. Here is a graph showing rig activity for the last 5 years. At the peak in January last year we were at 241 rigs working, but previous to that there were 438 and before that over 600 rigs working. So do I get excited about being just over 300? Not really. I don't expect it to be worse than last year. But it is going to be another difficult year.

Attachment: rig count.jpg

Old Post 01-16-2017 12:02 AM
soloracer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for soloracer Click here to Send soloracer a Private Message Find more posts by soloracer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
soloracer
Second Gear

What I drive: F355 Challenge/URS4/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX/Esprit V8
Posts/Day: 0.24
User Rating: 99%

quote:

If you look at the number of wells drilled we peaked in the mid 2000's at around 24,000. Last year they drilled approximately 3300. The year before that was just over 5000. This year would expect a number closer to the 5000. An improvement but not something to go out and start blowing your savings over. Just the other day another client of mine was laid off from his engineering position in oil and gas. The cuts are not over yet.

Old Post 01-16-2017 12:07 AM
soloracer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for soloracer Click here to Send soloracer a Private Message Find more posts by soloracer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RX-7_TWINTURBO
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Last edited by RX-7_TWINTURBO on 01-16-2017 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 01-16-2017 02:19 AM
RX-7_TWINTURBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RX-7_TWINTURBO Click here to Send RX-7_TWINTURBO a Private Message Find more posts by RX-7_TWINTURBO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Most companies rush to spend budget before breakup which is intensified now that most companies have been inactive for over a year. I wouldn't get my hopes up for much work going into Q3/Q4 unless we see oil run. My E&P is doing 95% of its work in Q1 and will be shut down for the rest of 2017 unless more money flows our way. Added to the decreased activity is that you just don't need as many people when most majors are drilling under 10 "super" pads in the Duvernay or Montney ($600mm-$800mm capital) instead of 100's of shallower formations (Card, Vik, Mannville) that companies chased heavily in the early 2010's.

Old Post 01-16-2017 04:34 AM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Neil4Speed
Second Gear

What I drive: Acura TLX SH-AWD
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (83)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by soloracer
I get asked all the time if there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn't go popping the champagne corks just yet. Here is a graph showing rig activity for the last 5 years. At the peak in January last year we were at 241 rigs working, but previous to that there were 438 and before that over 600 rigs working. So do I get excited about being just over 300? Not really. I don't expect it to be worse than last year. But it is going to be another difficult year.

Agreed, also - lets not forget that the day rates/margins are generally lower than they have been in the past.

Originally posted by arian_ma
your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Old Post 01-16-2017 03:45 PM
Neil4Speed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Neil4Speed Click here to Send Neil4Speed a Private Message Find more posts by Neil4Speed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

CAODC published a little late today, but they are showing 306/653 active. That's higher than I expected, an increase of 54 rigs this week alone.

I do agree with the above comments that we won't see a return to the high well counts of decades past, and that we aren't "out o the woods yet" in terms of profitability for the entire sector.

Still, I'm grasping at any positive signs I can, and rig counts over 300 counts as very positive in my books. So many investment decisions are based on market outlook and sentiment that it's not hard to argue that attitude matters more than hard economics some days.

Last edited by ExtraSlow on 01-17-2017 at 05:05 AM

Old Post 01-17-2017 05:00 AM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

JWN count on friday was 345 out of 651 active. CAODC releases monday afternoon.

Had my first confirmation of an operator who has solid summer drilling plans, PennWest is 3 rigs today, and is planning six for Summer work. Suspect mayn other operators are taking a more wait and see approach to H2 planning.

Old Post 01-23-2017 06:25 PM
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: 2014 Ford F-150, 2015 RDX
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

JWN count on friday was 345 out of 651 active. CAODC releases monday afternoon.

Had my first confirmation of an operator who has solid summer drilling plans, PennWest is 3 rigs today, and is planning six for Summer work. Suspect mayn other operators are taking a more wait and see approach to H2 planning.

I think we are talking to very different operators if you've only heard of one who has solid drilling pans. Lots of my customers have fairly aggressive drilling plans in place. Even some of the smaller players who usually don't start drilling until after September long weekend are going to be firing up as soon as road bans are off in the spring with 3 rigs (typically they go after sept long with 2 rigs).

I believe we will see lots of completions that weren't able to be done in Q1 getting completed in early Q3 with a little lull as the drilling rigs punch new holes. Lots of the bigger players in the Montney are even planning on completing their inventory of wells right through Q2.

From speaking with my customers things are definitely going to be steady on the drilling and completions side which trickles down to production. The big unknown right now is the oil sands which I don't have any part in so I can't speak on that behalf

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Old Post 01-24-2017 03:29 PM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Maybe it's a question of perception. I've heard people who have budgets and plans for summer work, but the individuals I have been talking to think there is a reasonable chance those get deferred or cancelled.

I only have a window in a few pockets of the industry, I sure hope your perception of the situation is more widely accurate than mine.

Anyway, CAODC rig count for Jan 23 is 317 active.

Old Post 01-24-2017 06:34 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

I don't know what's going on, the CAODC claims it's rig counts are published "monday afternoon", but this weeks hasn't been updated yet, and by my math, it's a long time past monday afternoon.

Old Post 01-31-2017 09:06 PM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 1.6L full of angry bees
Posts/Day: 2.09
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

A bit off topic, but CREB is reporting massive increases in sales for January over last year. Over a 40% increase in pending sales.

Old Post 02-01-2017 06:43 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Supa Dexta
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Getting tough to get timely cement.

Old Post 02-02-2017 09:17 PM
Supa Dexta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Supa Dexta Click here to Send Supa Dexta a Private Message Find more posts by Supa Dexta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.18

quote:

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Getting tough to get timely cement.

And casing

Old Post 02-02-2017 09:34 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theken
Third Gear

What I drive: is not as cool as my benz was
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Frac has been busy as hell, but our wages are still down, and benefits aren't there. Doesn't seem worth it for the 15 day hitch.

Old Post 02-02-2017 10:27 PM
theken is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theken Click here to Send theken a Private Message Find more posts by theken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thinmyster
Second Gear

What I drive: toyota MR2
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (28)

quote:

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

And casing

and logging

Old Post 02-02-2017 11:35 PM
thinmyster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thinmyster Click here to Send thinmyster a Private Message Find more posts by thinmyster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:55 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > 50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: