Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

Author
Thread
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency quote:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ncy-114652.html

As per an exclusive report published by Nikkei, the all-new powerplant will use “pressure, not spark plugs, to ignite fuel.”

Due to the lack of spark plugs, the new engine will employ homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) to make things go boom. In other words, a gasoline-fed motor with the ignition system of a diesel engine. Other than superior gas mileage, this technical solution is also believed to reduce exhaust emissions. Slated to debut in 2018 in the next-gen Mazda3, the homogenous charge compression ignition SkyActiv mill will then roll out to other models.

Nikkei’s report highlights that the second-generation SkyActiv engine “would give the current Mazda3 mileage approaching 30 km per liter, according to estimates.” That’d be 3.3 l/100 km and 70.5 miles per gallon, figures that would put the 2018 Mazda3 at the very top of the compact segment.

Wiki for HCCI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homog...ession_ignition

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2017 12:08 AM
pheoxs is online now Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...

Last edited by jwslam on 01-17-2017 at 01:56 PM

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:52 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maxt
Second Gear

What I drive: something green
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...

I read an SAE paper on compression ignition from the 90's that said the ignition and burn could be as smooth and shockless as spark ignition if the fuel could be delivered in the exact right amount, at the exact right time, at the exact right place in the combustion chamber. They were testing it back then but could only get the desired results at fixed engine speeds. Direct injection efi and combustion analysis is probably where it needs to be now to achieve that.

Old Post 01-17-2017 02:37 PM
Maxt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxt Click here to Send Maxt a Private Message Visit Maxt's homepage! Find more posts by Maxt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Are the pressures higher than diesel? Have never heard of this for gasoline, but sounds like a pretty awesome technology.

Old Post 01-17-2017 03:18 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.38
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I wonder how these would fare when being started up in extreme cold cranking conditions.

Old Post 01-17-2017 04:42 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by heavyD
I wonder how these would fare when being started up in extreme cold cranking conditions.

I assume theyd still have a spark plug for starting conditions, then once its up to temperature it stops sparking and switches over to HCCI mode?

Or maybe some kind of glow plug like diesels have? Its an interesting concept for sure.

Old Post 01-17-2017 04:53 PM
pheoxs is online now Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
962 kid
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

I'd be really, really surprised if it was exclusively HCCI. It only works in very specific combustion temperature, pressure, and engine speed ranges. There has been a ton of effort in the past decade to try and use standard sensors and advanced modeling to determine if the combustion is appropriate without resorting to in-cylinder monitoring. Even with controlled gasoline which has known burn rates there are significant challenges. Super impressive work though, excited to get more details.

Old Post 01-17-2017 05:25 PM
962 kid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 962 kid Click here to Send 962 kid a Private Message Find more posts by 962 kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

How about making these cars more fun instead? Those N/A "Skyactiv" motors are some of the most boring and under powered out there IMHO. I'd love to see them use a small turbo instead.

Sounds like a cool technology for an "eco" model or hybrid competitor though.

Old Post 01-17-2017 05:43 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (68)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How about making these cars more fun instead? Those N/A "Skyactiv" motors are some of the most boring and under powered out there IMHO. I'd love to see them use a small turbo instead.

Have you ever driven one?

My '14 3 GT is a hoot. Sure it's only got 185hp, but it's paired to a great transmission and chassis. Lots of fun.

Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. SEO & Marketing Solutions by SimplifiedSEO.com

Old Post 01-17-2017 05:51 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I'm always onboard for actually bringing improvements to ICE's, sounds pretty interesting. Mazda has always been good in this regard and Skyactiv is actually a pretty cool piece of tech.

To me one of the big benefits is not having the plugs in there, would make the head WAY simpler. But if the plug is still in there for cold starting then I don't REALLY see the point. Higher pressures is definitely better for efficiency I guess...

Must making adjusting timing a bitch though, how do diesels compensate?

/nerd

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 01-17-2017 06:00 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

quote:

I wonder if this tech could feed into the rotary engine somehow?

Old Post 01-17-2017 06:10 PM
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Apparently the engineers are resisting turbo at Mazda as they prefer more direct throttle feel. They want 0 lag and more direct throttle feel.

At least that's their excuses with MX-5.

Originally posted by pheoxs
I wonder if this tech could feed into the rotary engine somehow?

Rotary is dead under current administration.

Old Post 01-17-2017 06:10 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by A790

Have you ever driven one?

My '14 3 GT is a hoot. Sure it's only got 185hp, but it's paired to a great transmission and chassis. Lots of fun.

Yeah I drove many actually, across various model years, both new and used, when I was shopping for my Civic (which is no more fun, don't get me wrong). I've also re-visited them when helping friends shop more recently. They were boring and very overpriced in my opinion, especially if you want that 185hp motor they start at $27K or something like that. Add a couple options and you are in GTI territory with a vastly better engine. Just wasn't for me I guess.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Apparently the engineers are resisting turbo at Mazda as they prefer more direct throttle feel. They want 0 lag and more direct throttle feel.

At least that's their excuses with MX-5.

Sounds like a poor excuse when other manufacturers can turbo engines with no perceptible lag and performance benefits across the entire RPM range (like a lot of the 2.0T's out there). Personally I'd still rather have a little lag than an under powered 'sports car'.

Old Post 01-17-2017 06:33 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

Sounds like a poor excuse when other manufacturers can turbo engines with no perceptible lag and performance benefits across the entire RPM range (like a lot of the 2.0T's out there). Personally I'd still rather have a little lag than an under powered 'sports car'.

All turbo has lag, just some more than others.

They did put a turbo on 2.5L for the CX-9 for heavier duty. I think it would be cool if they slap a turbo on the 2L in Miata.

Old Post 01-17-2017 07:05 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.38
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Lets not forget Mazda was in dire straits a few years ago and probably doesn't have near the resources as other manufacturers when it comes to multiple engine designs.

Old Post 01-17-2017 07:15 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

All turbo has lag, just some more than others.

They did put a turbo on 2.5L for the CX-9 for heavier duty. I think it would be cool if they slap a turbo on the 2L in Miata.

I guess, but reviewers often state things like "no noticeable turbo lag" so if there is lag it's a total non issue compared to the benefits. I've driven a few cars now where I literally could not tell it had a turbo unless I put it in an absurdly high gear at low speed.

Definitely would be cool. Mazda's other turbo engines are great, I just wish they would show a little more power love to the Miata especially.

I also still see rust on some very new Mazda 3's which always concerns me.

Old Post 01-17-2017 08:06 PM
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

I also still see rust on some very new Mazda 3's which always concerns me.

They have transitioned from Japanese to Mexican steel, not sure if that improves the quality a bit. But yeah, rusting is still a huge issue with Mazda in the early 2010.

Old Post 01-17-2017 09:11 PM
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (68)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Yeah I drove many actually, across various model years, both new and used, when I was shopping for my Civic (which is no more fun, don't get me wrong). I've also re-visited them when helping friends shop more recently. They were boring and very overpriced in my opinion, especially if you want that 185hp motor they start at $27K or something like that. Add a couple options and you are in GTI territory with a vastly better engine. Just wasn't for me I guess.

Fair enough, at least you drive one and gave it a fair shot.

I'm pretty happy with mine. Sips gas, enough punch when I want to have fun on an on-ramp. Wish it had more power... but that's true of every car I've ever owned.

Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. SEO & Marketing Solutions by SimplifiedSEO.com

Old Post 01-17-2017 09:34 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by A790

Fair enough, at least you drive one and gave it a fair shot.

I'm pretty happy with mine. Sips gas, enough punch when I want to have fun on an on-ramp. Wish it had more power... but that's true of every car I've ever owned.

Power is definitely my biggest complaint with my Civic as well - I am used to cars with 2-3 times the HP and TQ so it was a bit of an adjustment haha. Pretty hard to fault otherwise though for a cheap DD, and not one single problem in 7 years. When I bought it I lived downtown and drove ~5,000km/year tops but now things have changed so I care about my care a bit more.

I'm in the market for a new car now though and having a turbo is pretty high on the list, for the torque and to cancel out our elevation handicap. Finding a fun car with a sub-$400 lease payment though is a challenge.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 01-17-2017 at 11:21 PM

Old Post 01-17-2017 11:19 PM
pheoxs
First Gear

quote:

Different article popped up on my news feed with some more info saying the new HCCI engine will run 18:1 compression ratio

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ocid=spartanntp

Last edited by pheoxs on 01-18-2017 at 03:05 PM

Old Post 01-18-2017 03:02 PM
The time now is 02:41 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: