Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Houston in February: What to do?

Author
Thread
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: Ford, Acura, Harley
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)
User Rating: 99%

Houston in February: What to do? quote:

I am going to Houston at the end of February to present at a conference. I land on a Tuesday and leave that Friday. I'll be staying at the Westin downtown which for the price per night I'm assuming is fancy as fuck. Typically I go to these things alone or with colleagues but this time my wife has decided to tag along.

Neither one of us have ever been to Houston before. Are there any must do's that we should check out while there? I'm going to assume she isn't going to want to watch me present or go to any of the networking events during the day with me so what are some wife friendly things she could do around the downtown area? What about restaurants in the area that we should go try?

As of right now I am not planning to rent a car while we are there because the business portion of the trip is entirely at the Westin. That being said if there is something the beyond community things is a must see maybe we will pick one up.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2017 07:46 AM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Probably will need a car. Based on my (limited) experience there isntgrtd much to do downtown. I have been a couple times and stayed out on the west side near katy. Indoor sky diving and top golf are a couple things I've done. City centre mall for eats. You could drive to Galveston for the day. Or ditch the wife and head to the strippers. Few good clubs there.

Not much help I know.

This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:14 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

curious too as we're debating to go down to houston for 3-4nights in feb, nothing that interests me other than maybe trying texas bbq, else im leaning to do a roadtrip to new orleans instead

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:49 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkiBum5.0
First Gear

What I drive: Between 7400 and 8400 RPM
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

I live in Houston (Katy) now. If museums are your thing, there is the Museum of Modern Science. You could also check out a Rockets game if they are at home that week. Lots of decent restaurants in the Heights and downtown. Here is my suggestion - pass on the rental car and use Turo and get a sweet car for a couple days. Then head out to Top Golf, check out Hennessey in Spring (call ahead for a tour) and go to Austin for the weekend and check out the coolest town in Texas.

Also, you could head to a gun range and shoot some guns which makes for a solid night out.

Old Post 01-17-2017 03:29 PM
SkiBum5.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkiBum5.0 Click here to Send SkiBum5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by SkiBum5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkiBum5.0
First Gear

quote:

Oh also, last Saturday at Cars and Coffee they had 2100 cars - over 8000 people showed up. Starts at 8am on the first Sat of each month

Old Post 01-17-2017 03:30 PM
SkiBum5.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkiBum5.0 Click here to Send SkiBum5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by SkiBum5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

any nice beaches to visit/swim around houston in feb?

Old Post 01-17-2017 03:46 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

rockets game, discovery green, apparently there is a rodeo.

This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 01-17-2017 05:03 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tenkara Way

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.20
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

I asked a Texas co-worker for advice, he said, "Go to Dallas."

Word is, HOU is dead boring. I've only been to the airport twice, it's far between terminals and the security spot checks are not cool when tight for time.

Old Post 01-17-2017 06:55 PM
Tenkara Way is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tenkara Way Click here to Send Tenkara Way a Private Message Visit Tenkara Way's homepage! Find more posts by Tenkara Way Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Neil4Speed
Second Gear

What I drive: Acura TLX SH-AWD
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (83)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

How did no one mention Johnson Space Center, absolutely incredible, but you will need a car.

Originally posted by arian_ma
your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Old Post 01-17-2017 07:04 PM
Neil4Speed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Neil4Speed Click here to Send Neil4Speed a Private Message Find more posts by Neil4Speed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schurchill39
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Or ditch the wife and head to the strippers. Few good clubs there

She'd be game for coming with me. She's rad when it comes to titties.

...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Old Post 01-17-2017 08:38 PM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkiBum5.0
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Tenkara Way
I asked a Texas co-worker for advice, he said, "Go to Dallas."

Word is, HOU is dead boring. I've only been to the airport twice, it's far between terminals and the security spot checks are not cool when tight for time.

Dallas is 4.5 hours away. San Antonio and Austin are both under two hours.

The space center is cool.

Galveston and Surf Side are the two beaches close by. You'll need the weather to cooperate as today it was around 15C.

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:29 AM
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)

quote:

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Galveston and Surf Side are the two beaches close by. You'll need the weather to cooperate as today it was around 15C.

In my experience, Getting from Downtown to Galveston will probably be something like 3 hours if you leave during rush hour (3-630ish pm). Leave at like 7 and it'll be about an hour, but you'll arrive in pitch darkness (I did this in March '13).

Old Post 01-18-2017 02:43 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schurchill39
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Dallas is 4.5 hours away. San Antonio and Austin are both under two hours.

The space center is cool.

How far is the space center? And what is the temperature usually like in the later half of February? I've never been down in that neck of the woods before.

Old Post 01-18-2017 03:24 PM
SkiBum5.0
First Gear

quote:

^ I moved here in April so not sure on Feb. It fluctuates a lot in Jan/Feb between 10C and ~ 25C based on the last two weeks.

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:10 PM
civicrider
Second Gear

What I drive: Audi S3
Posts/Day: 0.38
Trader Rating: (19)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Best thing I did there was hunt wild hogs out of a helicopter with an AR-15

Old Post 01-18-2017 06:42 PM
civicrider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civicrider Click here to Send civicrider a Private Message Find more posts by civicrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sentry
Third Gear

What I drive: E39 540it, E39 M5, EM1
Posts/Day: 0.83
Trader Rating: (20)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Extend it into march for TX2K

Old Post 01-18-2017 06:43 PM
Sentry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Sentry Click here to Send Sentry a Private Message Find more posts by Sentry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schurchill39
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by civicrider
Best thing I did there was hunt wild hogs out of a helicopter with an AR-15

I have a buddy who did that in the fall and he will be down the week before me doing that with his dad.

Old Post 01-19-2017 07:11 PM
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Double post

Old Post 01-19-2017 08:22 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

In my experience, Getting from Downtown to Galveston will probably be something like 3 hours if you leave during rush hour (3-630ish pm). Leave at like 7 and it'll be about an hour, but you'll arrive in pitch darkness (I did this in March '13).

Noooo. We did that drive last year when we went to a Texans game and stayed in Galveston. It's like closer to 45 minutes. The first time was right about rush hour time, and, although I don't remember the exact length, it definitely was not 3 hours.

February would be a good time to catch an NBA game.

Old Post 01-19-2017 08:23 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
in*10*se
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

uchi.

Old Post 01-19-2017 11:21 PM
in*10*se is offline Click Here to See the Profile for in*10*se Click here to Send in*10*se a Private Message Find more posts by in*10*se Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:50 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Houston in February: What to do?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: