Quantcast
Hockey Stick Advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Stick Advice

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Default Hockey Stick Advice

Looking to hockey playing beyonders for some advice on a new stick. I'm an intermediate level player, not playing organized hockey, just weekly pick-up with some guys from work, however my current stick ("Warrior Kopitar 85" - $50 @ sportchek) is falling apart and I'm looking to upgrade. I'd like something with bit more flex (I find this stick tough to do slap-shots with compared to my old stick and I think the stiffness is why), but other than that, I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think I can figure out length/flex (I'm 6'0 / 190lbs if it matters) but when it comes to other factors, I have no idea.... Questions:
    • How much does one need to spend to get a quality stick? $100? $150?
    • What is a good curve to go with? Seems like there are lots of options, what's the difference? What is considered a "normal" curve?
    • Worth getting a used stick off kijiji? Or better to buy new?
    • Should I just go to sport-chek and have the guys there pick something out for me?
    • Any other advice?

Thanks!

I am the same height and weight as you and I use this stick:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipmen...-1n-17-sr.html

With the P88 blade pattern (kane) and 87 flex.

I usually wait to buy one the upper models ($200 - $300) regular price when they go on sale. Can usually get them for about $100 - $130. I do find I can't play with the entry level sticks anymore.

What I would do it go to pro hockey life (or somewhere similar) where they have a shooting area and go shoot with some sticks to find one you like and can buy.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 01-23-2017 at 10:09 AM.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by lasimmon
    What I would do it go to pro hockey life (or somewhere similar) where they have a shooting area and go shoot with some sticks to find one you like and can buy.
    Yeah, sticks are so personal that you really dont know what you want till you try it. Pro players are constantly trying new sticks out from their sponsors.

I would go and try out different sticks, and once you narrow that down then look at different blades. Don't go overboard on price and set a budget for yourself.

Just remember that you should NEVER pay full price for a stick. There are always sales and deals on for last years models or end of season sales.

I almost always buy my sticks in April/May.

My Ride
    Lariat

I am the same size as well, 6' 195lbs, and I use a 102 flex bauer supreme 170 with the ovechkin curve. I like a stiffer flex and I find a stiffer flex gives me harder slap shots. I took advantage of a buy one get one half price at sport check last year on the stick. I think they were regular $100. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a great stick. I use a $49 sher wood composite that you can get at costc for the outdoor rink. Its a great stick and I personally really like it. It only cones in one curve (similar to a Kane curve) and 87 flex, but I really like it as well.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Default Re: Hockey Stick Advice

[*]How much does one need to spend to get a quality stick? $100? $150?
    Buy a 1-2 year old top of the line or one model down thats on sale. Spend 100-150 bucks maybe. I was a bauer faithful for years (mx3, apx 1 and 2, nexus 1N) but the new CCM supertacks and ribcors are insane sticks
    [*]What is a good curve to go with? Seems like there are lots of options, what's the difference? What is considered a "normal" curve?
    If you are a forward get a crosby or overchkin. They are the most popular curve for a reason. Big blade, nice curve on the toe. If you are a Dman consider one with a little less toe curve as point shots dont need to be top shelf all the time or your forwards will hate you. Mackinnon or Kane would suffice
    [*]Worth getting a used stick off kijiji? Or better to buy new?
    I got a pro stock supertacks off kijiji for 100 bucks, best stick purchase iv ever made
    [*]Should I just go to sport-chek and have the guys there pick something out for me?
    Go wherever they have the best price on a year or two old stick like I (and others) have said.
    [*]Any other advice?
    85-87 flex is probably right for you. Im 6'0 and 215 with many years experience and that is my flex of choice. It is tough taking clappers or one time slap shots because the sticks are super whippy and I cant afford to be snapping sticks all the time leaning on em. If you take lots of slapshots consider moving up to 95-100 flex.

Getting a top tier stick as long as you arent a brand new player makes a big difference. Talked a buddy of mine into getting one of those kijiji supertacks i talked of when he thought expensive sticks were a waste, and hes been thanking me ever since. Said it improved his shot significantly.[/list]

Thanks!

My Ride
    03' B6

You should check out Deerfoot Mall Sportchek as they are closing down and everything is an additional 30% off. They had tonnes of sticks available when I was there (Saturday).

My Ride
    NC1

This pic might help.

I have used and broken a lot of sticks over the years. I've been lucky to use a few fairly higher end sticks. Bauer one.95/one.100/one.9/APX2/Nexus1000 and a few Warriors etc. I think these were all $300 sticks but I have never paid $100 for them. I usually just wait for a Kijiji deal or a Sport Chek Clearance

SC Deerfoot City has 30% of ticket price
    SC Deerfoot Meadows has BOGO

Good luck man. I discovered that a low kick stick is better for me as I mostly play D and I have been able to get the puck off with less effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I am the same height and weight as you and I use this stick:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipmen...-1n-17-sr.html

With the P88 blade pattern (kane) and 87 flex.

I usually wait to buy one the upper models ($200 - $300) regular price when they go on sale. Can usually get them for about $100 - $130. I do find I can't play with the entry level sticks anymore.

If you like that nexus try to get your hands on a ccm super tacks at some point. I've owned every top line nexus (1000, 8000, 1N) and this ccm supertacks is miles ahead of those sticks. I couldnt believe how good it is!

LOL @ the P92 description in Max's post "toe drags"

Yah typical rule of thumb they say is try to have the flex (once cut) at half your weight. Assuming you can flex the stick and aren't beginner also.
    I've been mostly using Bauer P88 Kane for years, I bounce between 77 and 87 flex but I'm shorter so when cut down it always causes some issues depending how much I'm working out/what I'd like. I also play center so find the 87 flex lasts a bit longer and better in the draw. But then I lost that lazy snap shot the 77 provides.

I bought one of those CCM ultratack prostocks off kijiji for a good price a few months ago, actually a solid stick (crosby curve - 85 flex). Not the worst route to go if you can get them for cheap. Granted no warranty but I sure think highly of those sticks. But I got an Vapor 1X when they went on sale in december there because I was curious about the topline and finally wasn't $300+
    Those are pretty sick sticks, even the X800-900 was a good one for much cheaper.

My Ride
    NC1

^^

X800 are my current fave! Got them on sale for about $80/stick and bought 4!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Don't let anyone talk you into flex based on your height and weight. Shoot different ones and see which one you like best. I'm 6' and 190 and I shoot a 75 flex. Why? I just prefer it, I don't take a ton of slapshots, wristers are deadly, really good power loading when in tight. I've played with everything from 75-105 flex, each manufacturer has different feels in each of those, I was getting my custom sticks at the time at 95 flex. I broke my hand one day downhilling, and had a tournament to play in in less than a month, bought a couple 75's and haven't looked back since!

If you're a lefty, keep an eye for my marketplace post. I have 2 barely used colborne prostock Bauer Nexus 1000 painted as supreme MX3 102 flexes cheap!

Otherwise, I absolutely love the Sherwood Rekker EK15 (now the EK60), great feel, super light, and durable
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    Don't let anyone talk you into flex based on your height and weight. Shoot different ones and see which one you like best. I'm 6' and 190 and I shoot a 75 flex. Why? I just prefer it, I don't take a ton of slapshots, wristers are deadly, really good power loading when in tight. I've played with everything from 75-105 flex, each manufacturer has different feels in each of those, I was getting my custom sticks at the time at 95 flex. I broke my hand one day downhilling, and had a tournament to play in in less than a month, bought a couple 75's and haven't looked back since!
    My latest stick is an intermediate 65 flex cut 3" or so. I'm guessing it's in the 70 flex range. You want the stick to do the work. Don't listen to the misconception that lighter flex sticks breaks easier than stiffer flex sticks.

Another important factor to consider is flex profile. Choose a flex profile that matches your shooting technique.
    Have a look at the stick fit guide on Bauer's website.
    https://www.bauer.com/player-ice-hockey-sticks

I suggest going to Adrenaline Source for Sports on Macleod to test sticks. They have an excellent selection of sticks and a nice shooting gallery. They have no problem with you testing out any stick as long as you get them to tape the blade.

$150 should be plenty to get a good one, just don't expect a top tier stick from this year. I bought the Total One NXG sticks two years ago when they were being cleared out and it's still my favorite stick even compared to Bauer's newer models.

I usually get mine from sport chek...wait for a sale, use a $20 team assist coupon and buy gift cards when they come on sale at 20% off at rexall.

I've heard of people getting "fake" sticks on kijiji so I don't even bother. Apparently these fakes are lower tier sticks that have been painted over. I'm not sure how someone could even do that but in a world with fake razor blades and fake blonde hair, who knows.

I've heard from everyone that the Super Tacks are in a class of their own, but they're still too much $$ from me.

I picked up two Bauer 8000s for $200 from Cross Iron sport chek a couple of weeks ago when they had BOGO 50% off. One of them is a 77 Flex, both are Kane curves. If you're a LH shot and are interested in the stick let me know and you can try it and buy it if you want.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys.

Went to SportChek on the weekend and picked up a CCM RBZ Speedburner, Crosby curve, 75 flex. It's a couple years old, sticker price was $299 but I got it for $140. I got confused as to which location has the 30% off closing sale (I went to Deerfoot MEADOWS in the SE, guess the sale is actually at Deerfoot MALL in the NE), oh well. At least they had buy-one-get-one 50%, so I got the wife a new stick too.

Took the stick for some ODR last night, definitely a massive improvement. It's much lighter, and as expected, way better for both wrist shots and slapshots. Actually the biggest difference (which I didn't expect) is the feel when stick-handling, it's super responsive and has great feedback, I can tell exactly where the puck is without looking down, which makes it much easier to keep control vs my previous stick. Only downside is now I don't have any excuse for sucking anymore

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by a social dsease
    Thanks for all the excellent advice guys.

Went to SportChek on the weekend and picked up a CCM RBZ Speedburner, Crosby curve, 75 flex. It's a couple years old, sticker price was $299 but I got it for $140. I got confused as to which location has the 30% off closing sale (I went to Deerfoot MEADOWS in the SE, guess the sale is actually at Deerfoot MALL in the NE), oh well. At least they had buy-one-get-one 50%, so I got the wife a new stick too.

Took the stick for some ODR last night, definitely a massive improvement. It's much lighter, and as expected, way better for both wrist shots and slapshots. Actually the biggest difference (which I didn't expect) is the feel when stick-handling, it's super responsive and has great feedback, I can tell exactly where the puck is without looking down, which makes it much easier to keep control vs my previous stick. Only downside is now I don't have any excuse for sucking anymore
    I have nice golf clubs and i still am extremely mediocre. Everything comes with time. Check out those stick handling aids on different hockey websites. You can make them yourself out of PVC pipe if you want a tool to fiddle around with!

Sounds like that sticks a good fit for you, i never shot the Speedburner, but im super impressed with CCMs sticks as of late.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

While I agree that height and weight arent everything, they certainly come into play. The flex charts the provide are certainly decent starting points. The less experienced a player you might as well get a whippy stick, just make sure you understand how to load up a shot or it wont matter. Im 6'0 215 and id blow a 75 flex apart. Even my 85s feel SUPER whippy (to the point of almost being flimsy) and I dont like taking clappers with them. That being said my wristers and snapshots are great with them (as you have alluded to)

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by riander5

While I agree that height and weight arent everything, they certainly come into play. The flex charts the provide are certainly decent starting points. The less experienced a player you might as well get a whippy stick, just make sure you understand how to load up a shot or it wont matter. Im 6'0 215 and id blow a 75 flex apart. Even my 85s feel SUPER whippy (to the point of almost being flimsy) and I dont like taking clappers with them. That being said my wristers and snapshots are great with them (as you have alluded to)
    Meh, I'd challenge that. Its a misconception for sure, just because they feel flexier doesn't make them weaker....they're supposed to flex more, thats the point of finding what feels right in your hands. I play and ref a ton of hockey, I see people day in and out with crappy weak shots because they think they are strong enough for a 100 or too strong for a 75...Ovechkin is 6'2" 230lbs and he plays with a 77 or 79, but hey maybe you've been hitting the gym a ton Kessel with an 80 is a scrub, maybe he'll go stiffer with experience
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Meh, I'd challenge that. Its a misconception for sure, just because they feel flexier doesn't make them weaker....they're supposed to flex more, thats the point of finding what feels right in your hands. I play and ref a ton of hockey, I see people day in and out with crappy weak shots because they think they are strong enough for a 100 or too strong for a 75...Ovechkin is 6'2" 230lbs and he plays with a 77 or 79, but hey maybe you've been hitting the gym a ton Kessel with an 80 is a scrub, maybe he'll go stiffer with experience
    Difference of opinions I guess. I was agreeing with you that people with crappy weak shots (normally beginners) are using too high a flex. That being said I still think the flex chart is a fair tool (not a law by any means) - and Ovi and Kessel arent the norm in the NHL either

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

flex is good for shooting but terrible for faceoffs and can fuck with your pass receiving. Gotta find that balance. I'm 155 lbs and use a 77 chopped down to about an 85.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast