Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Entertainment > Pokemon TCG Thread

Author
Thread
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.61
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 98%

Pokemon TCG Thread quote:

So my son is in grade 2 and I was luckily able to avoid the entire Pokemon Go insanity last summer, but he recently started getting Pokemon cards from friends as gifts or in gift bags from birthday parties.

He asked me if I knew how to play the game and I didn't but was willing to learn. Turns out it is a pretty good game and has helped him with his reading and math skills along with other things like learning strategies and the effects of actions and consequences.

We attended the Sun and Moon pre-release this weekend at our local card shop and had a great time building decks and playing against others. We even pulled a hyper-rare Umbreon GX card.

It was also nice to see a bunch of smaller kids with their parents (who were also playing) there. It wasn't just a big smelly nerd fest (although they were represented to a degree).

Anyone else on Beyond playing/collecting?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2017 09:04 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Are the rare cards still worth $100+ like back in the day? I collected and played pokemon when they first came out while I was in elementary. I recently moved and found my collection...I have the first 4 sets complete with various 1st editions mixed in as well as a bunch of rare cards from sets 4 and 5. Also mixed in were yugioh and digimon cards...nastolgia was great flipping through them.

Old Post 01-23-2017 09:22 PM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K3RMiTdot
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (45)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I collected a few of the recent sets - Breakthrough, Generations, Evolutions but have no desire to get any of the Sun & Moon sets.

I don't play though.

Old Post 01-23-2017 09:28 PM
K3RMiTdot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K3RMiTdot Click here to Send K3RMiTdot a Private Message Find more posts by K3RMiTdot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Is pokemon still just a basic version of Magic? I played magic as a kid and never got into pokemon as it came out while i already played magic (in like grade 5-6).

I nerded our and attended a magic draft tournament a few months back and it was fun (and dirt cheap... comparing to concerts or nights at the bar etc.) There were a few father son duos there.

Either way playing a CCG with your kid sounds like a good time!

Old Post 01-23-2017 09:29 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

My kid is getting into this. Is there a "Pokemon for dummies" guide anywhere that I can read?

Old Post 01-23-2017 10:00 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.61
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My kid is getting into this. Is there a "Pokemon for dummies" guide anywhere that I can read?

Just download the iPad/PC app. It will walk you through the basic mechanics of the game.

Old Post 01-23-2017 10:08 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

I have gotten into it, and so have my 2 girls.

I love how it is helping them with her reading skills, math skills, planning, critical thinking and all that, and it brings us all together, even Baygirl is into it.

I have a TON of extra cards if anyone wants some to flesh out their decks for their kids and such.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 01-23-2017 11:13 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K3RMiTdot
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (45)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I have tons of single's from Breakthrough, Generations & Evolutions. If any of your kids need any just lmk!

Old Post 01-24-2017 03:55 PM
K3RMiTdot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K3RMiTdot Click here to Send K3RMiTdot a Private Message Find more posts by K3RMiTdot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

I refuse to buy friends' kids video games, but I'll get them Pokemon guides, comics, and cards any day of the week since it encourages them to read and interact with others more. Never got into it myself though.

Old Post 01-24-2017 04:29 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

if you have stuff from one set (evo/generations etc) does that mean you can only play with folks who have that same set?

Old Post 01-24-2017 06:49 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

My nephews are into it. They taught me how to play, though I'm not totally certain we're playing by the full set of rules.

Also, the oldest is cheating sonofabitch.

Old Post 01-24-2017 06:52 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
if you have stuff from one set (evo/generations etc) does that mean you can only play with folks who have that same set?

To the best of my knowledge, you can mix and match sets that are in the current rotation. There are some "banned" cards that were considered to be way over powered, or could not be countered in some fashion.

Older cards that are not in the current rotation, can not be played in all instances.

The current rotation (Standard Format) for 2017 is:
XY—Primal Clash
Double Crisis
XY—Roaring Skies
XY—Ancient Origins
XY—BREAKthrough
XY—BREAKpoint
Generations
XY—Fates Collide
XY—Steam Siege
McDonald's Collection 2015
XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
Black Star Promo Cards: XY36 and higher

The expanded format includes the following as well:
Black & White
Black & White—Emerging Powers
Black & White—Noble Victories
Black & White—Next Destinies
Black & White—Dark Explorers
Dragon Vault
Black & White—Dragons Exalted
Black & White—Boundaries Crossed
Black & White—Plasma Storm
Black & White—Plasma Freeze
Black & White—Plasma Blast
Black & White—Legendary Treasures
Black & White Trainer Kit
XY—Kalos Starter Set
XY
XY—Flashfire
XY—Furious Fists
XY—Phantom Forces
XY—Primal Clash
Double Crisis
XY—Roaring Skies
XY—Ancient Origins
XY—BREAKthrough
XY—BREAKpoint
Generations
XY—Fates Collide
XY—Steam Siege
McDonald's Collection 2011
McDonald's Collection 2012
McDonald's Collection 2013
McDonald's Collection 2014
McDonald's Collection 2015
XY Trainer Kit
XY Trainer Kit—Bisharp and Wigglytuff
XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
Black Star Promo Cards: BW01 and higher, XY01 and higher.

So depends on what you are doing. But, if you are just playing for fun, use any cards you like.

I also registered myself the kids for a sun and moon pre-release party on Saturday.

And Extraslow, if you want some more cards, Let me know, I have so many extras...

Old Post 01-24-2017 11:54 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

quote:

anyone going to any of the pre-release events next weekend?

Old Post 04-15-2017 08:00 PM
The time now is 07:52 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Entertainment > Pokemon TCG Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: