Quantcast
Minimum service to maintain warranty? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum service to maintain warranty?

Default Minimum service to maintain warranty?

My GF booked an oil change for her 2015 Honda (around 15,000 km) and they want to charge her $170+ (on top of the oil change) for additional inspections, tire rotation (totally unnecessary), fluid top ups, etc.

Can anyone tell me what the best way to find out what the minimum level of 'service' required is in order to maintain warranty? I do not trust the dealership with that answer and if we can avoid paying for 'checks' and things that have already been done (like tire rotations), that would be ideal.

I have the maintenance schedule from Honda, but it doesn't mention what the minimum required for warranty validity is.

I'm pretty sure it's this service B/B1 which the majority of is likely unnecessary or already completed:

Inspect fuel lines and connections.
    Replace engine oil* and oil filter.
    Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
    Service front and rear brakes.
    Inspect parking brake adjustments.
    Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
    Inspect suspension components.
    Inspect driveshaft boots.
    Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA).
    Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
    Inspect exhaust system.

Or are you forced to follow the schedule to a T in order to maintain warranty? Or can you opt out of at least some of it? TIA.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-30-2017 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

A detailed Warranty and Maintenance Guide accompanies every Honda we sell. It provides details on the extensive warranty coverage offered with every Honda vehicle. It will also explain owner's rights and responsibilities in regards to warranty coverage.
    As far as I know, having dealership doing all those "unnecessary" work is basically having less hassle in proving you did them elsewhere when the warranty claim arise.

You shouldn't have to service with dealer to get warranty.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Excellent question, I've wondered this myself. Sub'd

My Ride
    V167

my Infiniti EX37 has power train until 2019.

I asked the same question when I purchased the vehicle.

I got a straight forward answer, do oil changes at the recommended intervals (must be done at a shop for proper documentation). Thats it.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    my Infiniti EX37 has power train until 2019.

I asked the same question when I purchased the vehicle.

I got a straight forward answer, do oil changes at the recommended intervals (must be done at a shop for proper documentation). Thats it.
    This

Correct oil weight and correct interval for all fluid changes as recommended in your owners manual. It doesn't have to be done at the dealership.

Anything beyond that and it's just a money grab.

And if they tell you that your warranty will be void of you don't do their recommended services, then they are flat out lying and bullying you.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Subaru Calgary is the worst for this kind of stuff. They wanted to charge me $800 for their 60 km service (wife's 2014 Outback) and a lot of it didn't even follow Subaru's recommendations with stuff like a fuel injector flush, changing out the PVC valve, a variety of checks that can be done by any owner for free etc. Also involved was $136 to replace the air filter and cabin filter which I also scoffed at. I just got the oil change and brake flush done as per Subaru's 60 km schedule and did the filters myself for $50. I have to assume some people are getting this done because otherwise they wouldn't do it but I can't believe people are willing to spend this kind of money on routine maintenance.

Bottom line is that as long as you are changing the fluids and filters according to the maintenance schedule you are good to go. The rest of it is dealers lining their pockets.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by heavyD

Bottom line is that as long as you are changing the fluids and filters according to the maintenance schedule you are good to go. The rest of it is dealers lining their pockets.
    This is the grey area though.. The dealer and the manufacturer use different schedules.

Dealers sell fluid changes at "x amount of km" but the manufacturers recommend them at "y amount of km" and the dealer will tell you that it is required for your warranty. Usually the dealer recommended services are half of the kilometers vs what the manufacturer recommends.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

This

Correct oil weight and correct interval for all fluid changes as recommended in your owners manual. It doesn't have to be done at the dealership.

And if they tell you that your warranty will be void of you don't do their recommended services, then they are flat out lying and bullying you.
    Good info - thanks.

Sounds like all we need to do is the oil change, because other fluids I am sure don't need to be changed yet (like transmission, brake, etc.) I think the power steering is electric.

You never know I guess, but I am 99% sure I don't need to pay them to inspect all those other things on a 1-year-old car. And the likelihood of things going wrong on a car like this is extremely low to begin with.

Does the Tune Dub equivalent of a Honda guy exist in Calgary? I.e. 100% honest, highly regarded, well priced service that is better than the dealer?

I found this (2015 Fit LX) but it just lists the procedures, not the KM at which they need to be done:

https://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-se...nce-calculator
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-30-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

This

I don't mind paying for the "extra" as I've had a number of TSBs and other items handled, as well as precursor items as I'm a preventive kinda guy

that said, yes obviously when your typical "lube store" tells you at 30,000k you need new transmission and differential oil, you can tell them to pound sand

When I owned a Nissan, I ended up with cam phaser issues early and while under warranty on my VQ35DE and was denied warranty as I thought I could just change my own oil...

I always used mobile or a high quality synthetic with a WIX filter and always changed the drain plug and even had receipts, but being that I'm not an SAE mechanic, they said that they couldn't verify my interval statements and flat out refused warranty work for me.

I was later informed that I should have had them rip apart the engine with a condition that should the signs have shown "abuse" i.e. sludging then I would be on the hook for the repairs.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I found this (2015 Fit LX) but it just lists the procedures, not the KM at which they need to be done:

https://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-se...nce-calculator
    For Honda, time and mileage doesn't matter any more.

Just do whatever your maintenance reminder the car tells you to do and that's it.

There is A/B and 1-5. A1 usually means just a oil change. B5 could be something else and cost more $. At least that's how I remember them 10 years ago.

My Ride
    German

Originally posted by mzdspd

This is the grey area though.. The dealer and the manufacturer use different schedules.

Dealers sell fluid changes at "x amount of km" but the manufacturers recommend them at "y amount of km" and the dealer will tell you that it is required for your warranty. Usually the dealer recommended services are half of the kilometers vs what the manufacturer recommends.
    Wouldn't we still follow the manufacturer's recommendation of Y instead of the dealer's X, as the manufacturer built the vehicle, not the dealer?

My Ride
    NC1

I'll bring it to the dealer for major service work and hit up the independent shops for the oil changes. So I still make an appearance at the dealer but just not at every interval.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I have a Honda, bought brand new from a Honda dealer. I too went through the "inspection" dances until I asked if they were required by Honda Canada? I was told no, BUT it was advised by the dealership. I do all the oil changes and fluid changes by the book on or before they are due. Have all done at a local Honda garage like Hu in Calgary or at Okotoks Honda as they are good on price shockingly often and have great bookings (time) over Hu as they have more bays.

Honda Canada is the only opinion I care about, the dealer can pound sand.

220,000 km and all I've replaced: headlight bulbs (1x/18 months high-end aftermarket bulbs), rear brake bulbs 1x, battery 1x, brakes (front rotors 1x, pads a few times, oxygen sensor 1x, various air filters and oil/fluid changes as required, windshield 1x, tire sets 3 summer/2 winter.

It's a Honda, boringly bullet-proof for the most part.
    Last edited by Tenkara Way; 01-30-2017 at 09:12 PM.

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

on my 2015 jeep rubicon they top off every thing when they do my oil change and inspect everything while they are at it too.

The last two times I went there the first time they told me that my rear diff oil should be changed as recommended I told them to leave it at $170+ the 2d time they told me it has to be done or it will effect warranty, I told them to leave it as is and ill change it my self. I bought all the oil from the dealer just incase they say oh you refused it before.

And to boot the tech was nice enough to print out all the papers on how to change the diff oil lol

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Look in your manual. as long as you follow the schedule in there, you cannot be denied warranty.

Dealer once wanted me to pay for them to "take my brakes apart, clean them, and put them back on." for $300. guess what i told them.

My Ride
    Silverado

Shaw gmc has called me 3 times to tell me "I'm due" for a brake service. Which is basically just a clean and lube. It's not in the manual. The truck has 25000 km. Between that and them trying to sell me an alignment every time im there it's a real annoyance.

the two dealerships I've dealt with, they say to keep their "free" oil changes offer, I need to do their / dealership's recommended services.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    the two dealerships I've dealt with, they say to keep their "free" oil changes offer, I need to do their / dealership's recommended services.
    T&T/Calgary Honda love to push that little "bonus." My work around is I pay them to change the oil and replace my own cabin filters etc (save receipts/take pics.) You'd have to be nuts to service your brakes and replace filters as often as the dealer expects.

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    This is what worries me. I specifically negotiated free lifetime synthetic oil changes when we bought it, and there was no mention of a requirement for service as well. However, I think it is what they expect. Not sure how that is going to go over, but if it's not in writing I will probably lose. The free oil changes are absolutely pointless when they cost you $170+ in other stuff.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Looks like you guys are discovering where the dealers make their money now .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast