Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Tesla Model S = Deathtrap

Author
Thread
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.09
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

Tesla Model S = Deathtrap quote:

The IIHS put the model S through it's first ever crash test.... and not surprisingly, it has missed out on getting the Model S as a top safety pick.

What does that mean? Simply, the car has to achieve a "good" rating in 5 categories. It actually isn't that hard, and really any car in this insane price range should meet the minimum requirements, or so you would think... but the model S didn't do well in a few examples:

In a front overlap test... the seat-belt didn't hold the dummy back and it's head went through the airbag and hit the steering wheel. Ouch!

Another problem is the battery weight of the car basically crushes it when it rolls over. It only achieved an "acceptable" rating in this category as a result.

And finally, the IIHS gives a + rating for cars with adequate headlamps. those fancy LED's that Elon dreamed up were unfortunately rated poor.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/01/...i3-crash-tests/

Tisk Tisk... what would Supe have to say about this short coming?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-02-2017 06:37 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 79cx500 01UCF31
Posts/Day: 1.52
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Wait... isn't crash testing a requirement before any new model can be sold? The S has been out for years? I don't get it

Old Post 02-02-2017 06:44 AM
ercchry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

So it passed all the government mandated benchmarks to be saleable. It's safe enough.

But it isn't toyota camry safe.

Noted.

Seems like SP has a bone to pick with Tesla.

Nothing to see here.

Originally posted by ZenOps
I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Old Post 02-02-2017 07:30 AM
R154 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R154 Click here to Send R154 a Private Message Find more posts by R154 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: ///M235i
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

What happened to it was so safe it broke the testing equipment and was the safest vehicle ever made?

Where does such a large discrepency come in

* Use of this avatar makes no statement of me implying I own a BMW M division car, that the BMW M235i model is a BMW M division car, or any other statement regarding BMW M division or its debated superiority over other makes and models of vehicles

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 02-02-2017 02:12 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos
What happened to it was so safe it broke the testing equipment and was the safest vehicle ever made?

Where does such a large discrepency come in

That's from NHTSA. IIHS is a higher standard, the front offset is especially brutal and caught a lot of manufacturers off guard.

Strange that best for NHTSA is passable for IIHS.

Last edited by Xtrema on 02-02-2017 at 03:27 PM

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:25 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.32
Trader Rating: (68)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Oh Elon, fooled us again.

A+ thread, who made Mar a mod?

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
New user only have to look into my signature and read the Robin Williams thread to see that Im one of the most intellectual persons on this forum.

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:26 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: ///M235i
Posts/Day: 1.10

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

That's from NHTSA. IIHS is a higher standard, the front offset is especially brutal and caught a lot of manufacturers off guard.

Strange that best for NHTSA is passable for IIHS.

So did a camry break the NHTSA's testing machine too?

In the article it says that this came from the new heavier battery. How much does a P100D weigh over a Model S 60 that the roof now buckles due to the extra weight??

There just seems to be a gigantic gap between "safest vehicle ever made" claims and doesn't even get a 5 star safety rating that so many other cars get? So my question is, which time were we being lied to?

Also did anyone else notice that the starting price for a new P100D managed to creep up to 200 grand?

* Use of this avatar makes no statement of me implying I own a BMW M division car, that the BMW M235i model is a BMW M division car, or any other statement regarding BMW M division or its debated superiority over other makes and models of vehicles

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:34 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

All the american muscle fails the IIHS hard too and you can easily buy models for ~$80-$90K:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mustan...hs-crash-tests/

And european tests:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...w-vehicle-road/

Is it really that unusual to do more than the minimum?

In other news I was told by the dealership that a Mercedes S-class can handle a head on highway speed collision and all passengers survive - not sure if that's true or not but if so that seems very impressive.

Old Post 02-02-2017 04:30 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
That.Guy.S30
FKA - Thi_Thi Subs

What I drive: FJC, S30
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Off topic but doesn't subaru top the charts of the iihs?

Old Post 02-02-2017 05:06 PM
That.Guy.S30 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for That.Guy.S30 Click here to Send That.Guy.S30 a Private Message Find more posts by That.Guy.S30 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17

Re: Tesla Model S = Deathtrap quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Tesla Model S = Deathtrap

Just because it isn't a top safety pick doesn't make it a deathtrap....

It still scored better than many other cars out there. And Tesla also stated they are working on improvements and will provide another car and they are also getting ready to update the headlights to improve performance. That is better than most manufacturers would do. Most would just wait until they release the next model.

You should consider applying to Fox news, you write their type of headlines

Old Post 02-02-2017 10:57 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinL
First Gear

What I drive: 951S, E46 M3, B8.5 S4, 944S3 race car
Posts/Day: 0.07

Re: Re: Tesla Model S = Deathtrap quote:

Originally posted by blownz

Clickbait and I fell for it too. Will approach future threads with more skepticism.

Old Post 02-02-2017 11:23 PM
JustinL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinL Click here to Send JustinL a Private Message Find more posts by JustinL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
Off topic but doesn't subaru top the charts of the iihs?

For some reason, Impreza has always been good but WRX which is based on Impreza is only marginal/acceptable.

Old Post 02-02-2017 11:37 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mzdspd
Neutral

What I drive: LNF

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

For some reason, Impreza has always been good but WRX which is based on Impreza is only marginal/acceptable.

It is because of the Eyesight system that subaru uses.. The impreza has Eye sight available but the WRX does not.

Old Post 02-03-2017 04:45 PM
mzdspd is online now Click Here to See the Profile for mzdspd Click here to Send mzdspd a Private Message Find more posts by mzdspd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

CX-5 is safer than the Tesla.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...4-door-suv/2016

Old Post 02-03-2017 05:00 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tehwegz
First Gear

What I drive: Fo'ST
Posts/Day: 0.15

quote:

Also some nasty electrical fires that can happen with these electric cars.

The new Camry is supposed to be nice. And it's "grounded to the ground" lol...and the new one might even come with a pre-installed "Camry dent".

Old Post 02-03-2017 05:24 PM
tehwegz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tehwegz Click here to Send tehwegz a Private Message Find more posts by tehwegz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.09
User Rating: 155%

Re: Re: Tesla Model S = Deathtrap quote:

Originally posted by blownz

Just because it isn't a top safety pick doesn't make it a deathtrap....

It still scored better than many other cars out there. And Tesla also stated they are working on improvements and will provide another car and they are also getting ready to update the headlights to improve performance. That is better than most manufacturers would do. Most would just wait until they release the next model.

Elon was calling it the safest car ever... and went on and on about how safe it is. So me calling it a deathtrap is basically a way of balancing out the embellishment

Besides, if you are going to drive a car that runs itself into things, it better have a higher front end collision rating.

Old Post 02-03-2017 08:46 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoSup4U
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Also did anyone else notice that the starting price for a new P100D managed to creep up to 200 grand?

$222k optioned out No thanks, I'll take an S63. Sure I might be a second slower 0-60, but according to Sugarphreak, I won't die

Old Post 02-03-2017 09:25 PM
NoSup4U is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoSup4U Click here to Send NoSup4U a Private Message Find more posts by NoSup4U Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10

Re: Re: Re: Tesla Model S = Deathtrap quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Elon was calling it the safest car ever... and went on and on about how safe it is. So me calling it a deathtrap is basically a way of balancing out the embellishment

Besides, if you are going to drive a car that runs itself into things, it better have a higher front end collision rating.

lol That is true, but you have to consider time on this. The Model S has been out for about 5 years now. It was really ahead at the time it was introduced. Things constantly change though including how tests are ran. Every month a different vehicle could technically be the best at that given moment.

What does impress me about Tesla is they push limits and continuously improve their product. Most auto companies release a product, will use service bulletins to cover issues, will make a few fixes/updates after 3-4 years and wait for bigger changes 5-8 years.

I hope Tesla succeeds only to push the other manufacturers more.

Old Post 02-08-2017 06:59 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yellowGTS
Neutral

What I drive: Looking for a new ride
Posts/Day: 0.02
User Rating: 87%

quote:

I really don't see the issue, the offset collision test had almost all cars failing the first time they ran the test. I really don't see how these rating are applicable, unless they had to 're-test' the Model S because of the minor modification in the grill

Also, the apparent benchmark for the headlight test is the Toyota Prius because the headlights are not extremely bright, they are focused (don't dazzle) and don't pivot. The multi-thousand dollar LED options found on BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc all failed and continue to fail in current tests.

Funny how less technology is safer than more sophisticated systems.

And death trap is an extreme response to a marginal test result.

Old Post 02-08-2017 10:26 PM
yellowGTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yellowGTS Click here to Send yellowGTS a Private Message Find more posts by yellowGTS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by mzdspd

It is because of the Eyesight system that subaru uses.. The impreza has Eye sight available but the WRX does not.

This goes back 5 years, before Eye Sight even available. Are there front suspension differences between WRX and Impreza? Safety is the reason Honda took away double wishbone front away from Civic before.

And since we are starting the Tesla hate train again, here's some fuel:

http://jalopnik.com/anyone-can-open...-key-1792149106

Last edited by Xtrema on 02-09-2017 at 12:34 AM

Old Post 02-08-2017 10:28 PM
The time now is 03:35 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Tesla Model S = Deathtrap

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: