Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Totalled a rental car need advice

Author
Thread
trollolhah

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Unhappy Totalled a rental car need advice quote:

Rented a car for trip between Calgary and Edmonton.

Left Edmonton back to Calgary on main highway, lost traction from black ice and went into ditch. Front end smashed, car didn't roll.

Called the rental company, rental car was towed and I was given another rental to drive home.

Called police to file report, they said I have to file in person but I don't have the damaged vehicle as it was towed by rental company.

Car was rented with no LDW, but paid $15+ for winter tires, of which look like all seasons.

No injuries.

What steps/calls am I missing?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:16 PM
trollolhah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trollolhah Click here to Send trollolhah a Private Message Find more posts by trollolhah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Does your car insurance or credit card offer rental car insurance? If not, prepare to get fucked.

Damage (if totaled, cost of car minus salvage value), loss of use, towing, storage...

Credit card typically only covers the damage portion, leaving you on the hook for loss of use, towing, storage and other crap. Car insurance rental coverage varies by policy.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:24 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

So you waived the insurance from the rental company which shouldn't be an issue because I'm assuming either the credit card you paid for the car with covers the insurance or your personal automobile insurance covers rental car insurance. Edit: If not see what rage2 said.

So you need to file a police report. It is not an issue filing a report without the damaged vehicle once you explain the situation. Notify either your cc company or whoever you have insurance with.

You can pay extra to rent a car with winter tires?

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:24 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by roopi

Yup.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:33 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

I'd rather pay for the insurance and get regular tires. Anything I hit is covered then.

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:38 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonic

What I drive: Infinitis and Nissans
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

If your post is any indication....... Sounds like you were missing proper rental car insurance?????? Otherwise you would just call your insurance company! have them pay the rental company for a new car/repairs and you get your rates jacked up...

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:42 PM
Sonic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonic Click here to Send Sonic a Private Message Find more posts by Sonic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trollolhah

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Does your car insurance or credit card offer rental car insurance? If not, prepare to get fucked.

Damage (if totaled, cost of car minus salvage value), loss of use, towing, storage...

Credit card typically only covers the damage portion, leaving you on the hook for loss of use, towing, storage and other crap. Car insurance rental coverage varies by policy.

credit card offers rental insurance.

Front end of car and bottom are damaged. Engine stopped running after 30 minutes getting back onto highway shoulder. Radiator, heater, fluid, others falling apart.

Originally posted by roopi
So you waived the insurance from the rental company which shouldn't be an issue because I'm assuming either the credit card you paid for the car with covers the insurance or your personal automobile insurance covers rental car insurance. Edit: If not see what rage2 said.

So you need to file a police report. It is not an issue filing a report without the damaged vehicle once you explain the situation. Notify either your cc company or whoever you have insurance with.

$15/day for winter tires, which look more like all-season (barely any tread/teeth). Paid and noted on receipt.

Old Post 02-07-2017 10:54 PM
trollolhah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trollolhah Click here to Send trollolhah a Private Message Find more posts by trollolhah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinL
First Gear

What I drive: 951S, E46 M3, B8.5 S4, 944S3 race car
Posts/Day: 0.07

quote:

Originally posted by trollolhah

$15/day for winter tires, which look more like all-season (barely any tread/teeth). Paid and noted on receipt.

Did you get pictures / evidence of the tires on the car? How does the rental car company define winter tires?

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:01 PM
JustinL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinL Click here to Send JustinL a Private Message Find more posts by JustinL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

I have nothing to add, but your username makes it look like you're enjoyed destroying the rental haha

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:02 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

So do you or do you not have the SEF 27 on your main auto policy? Basically, do you have full coverage on your personal auto insurance?

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:07 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trollolhah

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinL

Did you get pictures / evidence of the tires on the car? How does the rental car company define winter tires?

http://imgur.com/bvtDPVj

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I have nothing to add, but your username makes it look like you're enjoyed destroying the rental haha

[img]http://i.imgur.com/IpAscbi.jpg[img]

old account

Last edited by trollolhah on 02-07-2017 at 11:27 PM

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:24 PM
eglove
Third Gear

What I drive: FERD
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Those are definitely not winters

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odel=Kinergy+GT

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:31 PM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Hankook Kinergy GT... "Snow rated", but not a winter tire.

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:32 PM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Says they have the M+S symbol on them.

I think M+S passes the BC laws, so the rental company probably uses that as their benchmark. Either way, it wouldn't remove your liability. Maybe you'd get your $15 back, but will still wind up paying for the car and all the associated costs.

Last edited by FraserB on 02-07-2017 at 11:37 PM

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:34 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

SEF 27 on your own policy or credit card coverage.

Start checking to make sure you have one or the other if you didn't pay for coverage offered by rental agency.

Or you will have to pay out of pocket.

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:43 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yellowsnow
First Gear

What I drive: WRX, Audi A4 Avant
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

I cracked a taillight renting a car once, had rental insurance on my credit card. had to pay the damage up front, and was reimbursed by my credit card company 1-2 months later. Just call your credit card company to start a claim, and they'll send you the application which tells you exactly what documents you need to submit

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:44 PM
yellowsnow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yellowsnow Click here to Send yellowsnow a Private Message Find more posts by yellowsnow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03

quote:

As far as the car is concerned, call your credit card company and follow their insurance processes. Beyond can't provide you more than what the insurance company demands. Hopefully totalled car's value is less than the maximum coverage your card allows (yes, this is a thing - if you rent a luxury vehicle, your card may only cover you, say, $40000 replacement and the rest is out of pocket.)

As far as the tires and rental company is concerned, it may be between just you and them. If you have claims or wish to recover your out of pocket expenses, you may have to sue them.

Whoever is thinking about their coverage etc, add on rental car insurance on your own car's insurance policy to a) avoid exorbitant rental agency charges and b) deal with an insurance policy that you [hopefully] know and understand.

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:45 PM
ee2k is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sentry
Third Gear

What I drive: E39 540it, E39 M5, EM1
Posts/Day: 0.84
Trader Rating: (20)

quote:

The rental company charging for those tires is skeezy as fuck, garbage all seasons with M+S rating that ALL garbage all seasons have.

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:49 PM
Sentry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sentry Click here to Send Sentry a Private Message Find more posts by Sentry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trollolhah

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
SEF 27 on your own policy or credit card coverage.

Start checking to make sure you have one or the other if you didn't pay for coverage offered by rental agency.

Or you will have to pay out of pocket.

where do you find this SEF 27

Old Post 02-07-2017 11:55 PM
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by trollolhah

where do you find this SEF 27

It will be on your policy documents under the "endorsements" section. If you can't find it just call your broker.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 02-08-2017 12:03 AM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:49 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Totalled a rental car need advice

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: