Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How do you know if a used car is a fair price?

Author
Thread
Sonic

What I drive: Infinitis and Nissans
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

How do you know if a used car is a fair price? quote:

Curious to know what beyonders use to determine what a fair price for a used car is...

I've always used vmrcanada and if the price is around the wholesale price i know I'm getting a decent deal... But sometimes I feel their quote is way off, same with CBB online...

What do you guys use? Do you just go on Kijiji and see what other are asking? What if it's a rare vehicle? This method works great for houses cuz you can find it what they actually sell for but how do you know how much cars are actually selling for?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-11-2017 02:56 AM
Sonic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonic Click here to Send Sonic a Private Message Find more posts by Sonic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

kvg
Second Gear

What I drive: A VW and a Dodge
Posts/Day: 0.82
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I look at book value and kijiji

Last edited by kvg on 02-11-2017 at 03:12 AM

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:03 AM
kvg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kvg Click here to Send kvg a Private Message Find more posts by kvg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.93

quote:

I compare on kijiji and autotrader for ballpark. Then it's up to me based on preferences and condition. I don't like book value unless the car is fairly new.

If it's rare, then it depends how bad I want it. Appraisals can be a good place to start, but never pay full price.

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:08 AM
NoPulp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38

quote:

Depends how old. Book value for a 10 year old car doesn't mean much, so I'd go to kijiji at that point. There are also local market factors that book value doesn't account for.

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:11 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
craigcd
First Gear

What I drive: KTM
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I am pretty picky on buying new(used) vehicles so once i decide what I want typically watch kijiji for weeks/months until the exact vehicle comes along. Pretty soon you know what is good and what is bad and you are on top of exactly what is on kijiji and when something new pops up vs a repost.

This can be a bit tougher with super common vehicles like Civics but once you narrow down your search it is doable.

Last truck took me 4 months and a trip to Regina.....

Original owner
Low km
Service records
Stock

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:26 AM
craigcd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for craigcd Click here to Send craigcd a Private Message Find more posts by craigcd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

If it sells, it's a fair price. If you'd kick yourself for not buying it, then it's a fair price.

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:40 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

^^
lol well yes.

Interesting. that VMR site's value is about 15% lower than the black book value website. If I listed for the VMR price I think my car would be gone in a day lol

Old Post 02-11-2017 03:57 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocket1k78
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.35

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
Depends how old. Book value for a 10 year old car doesn't mean much, so I'd go to kijiji at that point. There are also local market factors that book value doesn't account for.

Kijiji is probably the best way to gauge what its worth imo.

Old Post 02-11-2017 06:28 PM
Rocket1k78 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocket1k78 Click here to Send Rocket1k78 a Private Message Find more posts by Rocket1k78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonic

quote:

Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by Sonic on 02-11-2017 at 10:31 PM

Old Post 02-11-2017 06:33 PM
Sonic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonic Click here to Send Sonic a Private Message Find more posts by Sonic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ragu
Neutral

What I drive: 15,000 red line
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Most of the stuff that you see on kijiji has been sitting for weeks only to get reposted. As a seller you should be prepared to deal with buyers who 1. don't have money 2. spend time looking at cars 3. low ball you 4. 1 in 5 who call you will actually show up.

I've always priced it aggressively and its generally gone within a day or so. Use VMR and price it in between wholesale and retail. See what kinda response you get and go from there.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Let's face reality here, without these ethnic buffers (malls, stores, ethnic contractors, etc...) society just can't handle cultral integration. You don't believe me? How would you feel like if your teenaged caucasian daughter came home dating an Asian boy? (come on be honest) Or would you rather the Azn boy hang out at an Asian mall picking up his "own kind"?

Old Post 02-12-2017 04:30 AM
ragu is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ragu Click here to Send ragu a Private Message Find more posts by ragu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redlyne_mr2
Chatroom Manwhore

What I drive: 400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans
Posts/Day: 2.06
Trader Rating: (26)

quote:

vmr is useless

Kijiji... search year make model trim , price lowest to highest, compare.

Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Old Post 02-12-2017 05:13 AM
Redlyne_mr2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlyne_mr2 Click here to Send Redlyne_mr2 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlyne_mr2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ricosuave
Second Gear

Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.37
Trader Rating: (283)

quote:

^ Redlyne_mr2, clear your inbox!!

Old Post 02-12-2017 10:24 PM
ricosuave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ricosuave Click here to Send ricosuave a Private Message Visit ricosuave's homepage! Find more posts by ricosuave Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonic

quote:

Redline.... There is always huge markup between retail and private... Do you suggest ignoring dealer ads?

Old Post 02-12-2017 10:27 PM
G-ZUS
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Blue boy
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (124)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by ragu
Most of the stuff that you see on kijiji has been sitting for weeks only to get reposted. As a seller you should be prepared to deal with buyers who 1. don't have money 2. spend time looking at cars 3. low ball you 4. 1 in 5 who call you will actually show up.

I've always priced it aggressively and its generally gone within a day or so. Use VMR and price it in between wholesale and retail. See what kinda response you get and go from there.

I had one guy try to hustle me over the firm on a already well-priced vehicle I was selling. Told him the price is firm as I was getting non-stop calls on it. He said 'you should take down the ad, I will come in the morning first thing with cash". Never heard back from him

Old Post 02-13-2017 03:09 PM
G-ZUS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G-ZUS Click here to Send G-ZUS a Private Message Find more posts by G-ZUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.47
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
vmr is useless

Kijiji... search year make model trim , price lowest to highest, compare.

Yup. Had people offer me what VMR said before and I told them to f off. I check kijiji and canada trader to see what the ball park is as that is market value.

Old Post 02-13-2017 03:25 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

What I drive: 14 Accord 6-6 J35Y1
Posts/Day: 1.17
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Kijiji high to low. Ignore dealer ads as the price is padded of course to cover expenses/profit. I'd also say stick to your province, although sometimes I'll check BC/Sask.

Old Post 02-13-2017 03:38 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonic

quote:

Okay, I posted my G37X here for a few days with no response other than from a scammer.... Am I pricing it too high? It's tough because there's not a lot comparables especially in the private market.... I've yet to post on Kijiji because I hate dealing with people on there.

Old Post 02-20-2017 07:17 PM
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38

quote:

Originally posted by Sonic
Okay, I posted my G37X here for a few days with no response other than from a scammer.... Am I pricing it too high? It's tough because there's not a lot comparables especially in the private market.... I've yet to post on Kijiji because I hate dealing with people on there.

Can you link your ad please?

Old Post 02-20-2017 07:46 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Give it more time 1-2 weeks and see. Not everyone checks marketplace right away. I have sold all my cars through beyond so I am not bothering with trader or kijiji anymore.

Old Post 02-20-2017 07:55 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redblack
First Gear

What I drive: bus
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

A updated carproof and inspection report goes a long way

Old Post 02-20-2017 08:02 PM
redblack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redblack Click here to Send redblack a Private Message Find more posts by redblack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:16 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How do you know if a used car is a fair price?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: