Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Diary of Beyond foodie: Year of the Rooster, cock tasting extravangza

Author
Thread
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

Diary of Beyond foodie: Year of the Rooster, cock tasting extravangza quote:

A little disappointed that the Asians on this forum got out posted by fellow whitey Sugarphreak for gung hey fat choi shoutout on Chinese New Year. http://forums.beyond.ca/st/402205/h...ew-year-beyond/

As a 1981 Rooster, I must make the attempt to keep the Rooster spirit alive.

With the coordination of fellow Beyond foodies, we decided there's no better way to celebrate Year of the Rooster, than to eat a shitload of fried chicken.

Coming from broad and a far, members traveling through treacherous journey from SE, SW, NE, NW came together for this feast. Fortunately we were able to have a central meeting point.

Together, putting differences aside, we've barked on the search for our version of the best tasting Fried chicken in the city.

Though there're just way too many choices, but we've narrowed down to a few of the favorites the crowd would like to compare:

- Bonga
- Fritou
- Ogam
- Chicken on the way
- Yum Yum
- Popeye chicken
- KFC
- Olive chicken
- Wow chicken
- Mary Brown's
- Cluck n Cleaver

Though given the disclaimer this isn't too scientific (such as we couldn't control the exact eating temp straight from the store during tasting, and in between different chicken our mouths didn't get rinsed from the last chicken). But for the sake of our small experiment, we made a 10 point (10 being best) rating system on the following: (so possible best score 70 points)

- Texture
- Tenderness
- Presentation
- Crispiness
- Juiciness
- Oiliness (high points means the tester likes the oil ratio)
- Taste

We did the best we could to synchronize grabbing from the store and meeting at the centralized location. As the last hour before meeting dawned before us, members were Whatapping pics into the group chat.

Ogam Chicken, picking up with isolated pouch

Mary Brown's

Chicken on the Way

Wow Chicken

Bonga

KFC

Fritou

Cluck n Cleaver

Thanks to the brave solider that took on Popeye’s continuous long wait line

As members starts to arrive with their chickens, we did attempt to keep the chicks as warm as we could.

Continues...

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-2017 11:43 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

quote:

And as evident, not all fried chicken from these different places look/feel/taste the same.

Finally, once all the cock eaters arrived, time for the feast.

Out of the dozen or so participants, only 6 made it to finish tasting all 11 variety. The latter, be it being too lazy to complete the survey, survey got too oily, lost track which chicken they got stuffed in their mouth, or just simply couldn’t handle it all. To be fair, those 6 whom were able to finish, we mostly had to utilize split/cut up pieces. In fact, not a single participant were able to finish 11 full pieces on their own.

And the verdict from our small group experiment, total tally of points collectively between 6 final tasters.

So for our small little group, we conclude to rate these as follows based on our scoring system:
1st – Popeye chicken
2nd – Bonga
3rd- Ogam
4th – Mary Brown’s
5th – Wow chicken
6th – Cluck n Cleaver
7th – Yum Yum
8th – Olive chicken
9th – Fritou
10th – Chicken on the way
11th – KFC

Personally, I’d say I’m putting a hold on Fried Chicken for a few months, next time I have the urge to call chicken, might just have to try something else. I’ve honestly never had this many chicken in my mouth before, would I do this again? Only if there was continuous progress in the SPAM meat thread by members whom are Year of the Pig.

Old Post 02-25-2017 11:44 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

HAHA, awesome, and Popeyes wins...interesting. I love Fritou chicken, and I always thought it was great, but I always go to the Saddletowne location for it.

I guess I need to go check out Popeyes!

I want in on the next food meet!

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 02-25-2017 11:50 AM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

quote:

Originally posted by spikerS
HAHA, awesome, and Popeyes wins...interesting. I love Fritou chicken, and I always thought it was great, but I always go to the Saddletowne location for it.

I guess I need to go check out Popeyes!

I want in on the next food meet!

Even if it was hardcore ethnic food by fob Beyonders? Pig blood, thousand year old eggs, bull testicles?

Old Post 02-25-2017 11:52 AM
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Even if it was hardcore ethnic food by fob Beyonders? Pig blood, thousand year old eggs, bull testicles?

I have done the prairie oysters before, would rather not, and I have done done a Balout before, same thing, would rather avoid it....HAHA

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 02-25-2017 12:11 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.19
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

No fries. Just Fried Chicken and Watermelon....

Wow all those breasts look juicy and tender

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by dj_rice on 02-25-2017 at 07:40 PM

Old Post 02-25-2017 01:45 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I'm sure a few of us can put back 11 pieces I hear Cam is a giant, he should be able to as well.

Fun looking test at least. Shocked PopEyes won, I've been avoiding trying it due to the lines.

hilarious that KFC is last

Old Post 02-25-2017 03:38 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

No way would I rank MB that high. I find it about the same as KFC.

Popeye's is okay but no way should it win.

People really like that super soft texture I guess.

Old Post 02-25-2017 03:43 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

I want to see the entire scoring matrix. Who won for each category?

Also, you know I'm down for shit like this.

Old Post 02-25-2017 04:20 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xnvy
Second Gear

What I drive: Horse
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

^I'm still sad I missed the cheap beer review.

I love review posts like this and those slap chop/sushi roller reviews another Beyonder used to post.

Fried chicken also seems like another one up my alley although I don't think I'd be a good reviewer as Yum Yum is my favourite and it came 7th. Which flavours did you try? Spicy Yum Yum is best Yum Yum.

For added thoroughness you need preliminary rounds. Taste each flavour from a restaurant for one challenge. Then after 11 of those you have the final round where the champion flavours to head to head. But then everybody would be fat... ¯\_(ツ_/¯

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:13 PM
xnvy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnvy Click here to Send xnvy a Private Message Find more posts by xnvy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorath
REAL Pedophile

What I drive: VANS AND MORE VANS
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (52)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Yum yum was rigged to lose. The person that got yum yum got the wrong chicken. He got the sauced one and not the regular/spicy fried one.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I walked into one the other day, at 11:15 and she says "sorry, it's past 11". I said, "but the eggs are RIGHT THERE....in THAT door. You either grab me an egg, or you grab me a piece of turkey....what's the difference??". She still said "Sorry". WTF??

So I ordered the most disgusting tasting 12" sub, and at the end, said "Actually, I changed my mind. I'm going to head to the Subway down the road. They serve the breakfast sandwich all day long. Tell your boss, he can have this sandwich. Thanks anyways".

karmas gonna bite you in the ass

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:24 PM
Sorath is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sorath Click here to Send Sorath a Private Message Find more posts by Sorath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

Originally posted by Sorath
Yum yum was rigged to lose. The person that got yum yum got the wrong chicken. He got the sauced one and not the regular/spicy fried one.

IT WAS RIGGED!!!!

I would do another beer review session. Although honestly, might be more fun at a bar. What bar has the biggest selection of cheap beers?

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:49 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dj_rice

quote:

Originally posted by Sorath

We DEMAND TomCo re-does this taste this fairly!

You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:59 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

quote:

Let's do a beer review, followed by a post-bar food review. winning.

Old Post 02-25-2017 06:45 PM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.98
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

This is Florida all over again.

Old Post 02-25-2017 06:45 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xnvy
Second Gear

What I drive: Horse
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Must review Yum Yum properly!

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

IT WAS RIGGED!!!!

I would do another beer review session. Although honestly, might be more fun at a bar. What bar has the biggest selection of cheap beers?

I have no idea on biggest selection of cheap beers but Bottlescrew's, Craft, and National all have big beer menus.

You should do it in Germany, the beer is so good *and* cheap here. It's fantastic. Only there isn't really a craft beer scene here yet. Nor are their large beer menus.

Back to fried chicken though, how gross is the KFC double down?

Old Post 02-25-2017 07:05 PM
xnvy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnvy Click here to Send xnvy a Private Message Find more posts by xnvy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

quote:

Originally posted by suntan
No way would I rank MB that high. I find it about the same as KFC.

Popeye's is okay but no way should it win.

People really like that super soft texture I guess.

I concur, MB was very similar to KFC, said those exact words myself too. It ended up to be too small of a sample group that finished the survey so anyone who had a hard on for MB, ranked it high to tip the scale.

Originally posted by dj_rice

We DEMAND TomCo re-does this taste this fairly!

I'm done with chicken for a while man.

I'm off tacos too, don't ask for taco reviews for a few months.

Old Post 02-25-2017 08:13 PM
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

quote:

Bahn Mi next?

Old Post 02-25-2017 08:15 PM
dj_rice

quote:

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Bahn Mi next?

Damn good idea.

My vote goes for Saigon Deli. I've had Thi Thi, Trung Nguyen, La Cay.

Old Post 02-25-2017 08:47 PM
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

This is by far the best post I have seen for 2017.

Old Post 02-25-2017 10:54 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:24 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Diary of Beyond foodie: Year of the Rooster, cock tasting extravangza

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: