Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Questtrade Portfolio IQ?

Author
Thread
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

Questtrade Portfolio IQ? quote:

What are your guy's thoughts on this product? Why or why not invest money with them? I am currently with the big banks for various accounts, and although I am temped to move there myself, at the moment I am thinking of moving wife's money into it. She has a TFSA that's maxed out in a cash type account, and we would rather try to make some money with it. Any reason to scrap this idea and go with the big banks?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:37 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

There are other similar products, and it's actually insanely easy to do this kind of index-fun ETF investing yourself.

I haven't done a full comparison of them, but WealthSimple, and the Tangerine "portfolio" products are the same basic idea. I know there are others.

I made a thread a while back about "RoboAdvisors" that never got much response.

My take is that for a lot of people, these "passively managed" portfolio options are probably appropriate for a huge number of people. Maybe everyone.

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:46 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Yeah I took a look into all these a couple of weeks ago. They do what they say, at great cost. Usually it's a .50% charge, which is ridiculous.

Might as well just go with TD e-series funds at that point and rebalance once a year.

Old Post 02-25-2017 05:48 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by suntan
Yeah I took a look into all these a couple of weeks ago. They do what they say, at great cost. Usually it's a .50% charge, which is ridiculous.

Might as well just go with TD e-series funds at that point and rebalance once a year.

But .5% is better than 2% most banks charge right?

Can you explain what rebalance really is? I keep hearing about it, and everyone is saying questrade does this for you...where as other products you have to do yourself.

Old Post 02-25-2017 06:21 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Rebalancing is simply keeping your asset categories in proper proportion. So if you want 30/30/30/20 exposure for instance, every year you could sell some stuff and buy the others. It keeps your risk profile consistent.

So the thing with the fees is that if you can do something like questrade self service then your fees should be pretty minimal for buying etfs and rebalancing occasionally.

Old Post 02-25-2017 07:47 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

This is a shit investment, plain and simple

I tried this out for about 2 years with a 40K investment, and they earned a negligible amount on it during this time. Total waste of time, don't bother with this program at all. Then to add insult to injury, when I cancelled out of it, those mother fuckers moved all of the unsold stock into my account and I had to pay commissions to get rid of it.

Right now I am trying out Wealthsimple, and what I am seeing in just a short period has been making me happy

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 02-28-2017 at 08:08 PM

Old Post 02-28-2017 08:04 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Just stay with your current bank and get a self directed RRSP and TFSA account. Then invest in an appropriate balance of funds. A safe one would be 40% short term bond ETF's and 60% global equities ETF's. Then once a year rebalance so you're always 40% and 60%. Done problem solved...

Old Post 02-28-2017 09:24 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Right now I am trying out Wealthsimple, and what I am seeing in just a short period has been making me happy

Thanks for the info. I actually opened a WealthSimple account as well after doing some more research and just dropped 40k into RRSP there yesterday. Going to wait and see how it goes. Opened wife's TFSA account as well and will see how that goes as well. Glad to hear you like them so far, hope it goes well.

The self managed stuff I might do later, just need to get familiar with everything first and when I feel comfortable will do the swap.

Thanks

Old Post 03-01-2017 01:02 AM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

This is a shit investment, plain and simple

I tried this out for about 2 years with a 40K investment, and they earned a negligible amount on it during this time. Total waste of time, don't bother with this program at all. Then to add insult to injury, when I cancelled out of it, those mother fuckers moved all of the unsold stock into my account and I had to pay commissions to get rid of it.

LOL, stick money in recent bull market, what happens?

Any fucking dunce can make money in a bull market.

Old Post 03-01-2017 01:24 AM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

LOL, stick money in recent bull market, what happens?

Any fucking dunce can make money in a bull market.

I don't know what you are on about, I make a healthy amount in my self directed account every year. I expect that a managed account should be returning 3-5% minimum.

2 years of no returns is totally unacceptable

Old Post 03-01-2017 01:52 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

I don't know what you are on about, I make a healthy amount in my self directed account every year. I expect that a managed account should be returning 3-5% minimum.

2 years of no returns is totally unacceptable

So when was the two years, it's all the same, you were and still are invested in ETFs, maybe even the same ETFs. 2015-2016 (to right after the election) virtually all stock markets were flat.

Old Post 03-01-2017 02:30 AM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

So when was the two years, it's all the same, you were and still are invested in ETFs, maybe even the same ETFs. 2015-2016 (to right after the election) virtually all stock markets were flat.

So, what you are saying is you'd be totally happy with a severely under-performing investment because your perception of the entire stock market for the past 2 years is that it was flat?

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:01 AM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

So, what you are saying is you'd be totally happy with a severely under-performing investment because your perception of the entire stock market for the past 2 years is that it was flat?

What you fail to understand is that you moved your stuff from one place to another, but that money was reinvested into the exact same shit.

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:45 AM
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Can you show evidence of this? Also that short wavelength variations were essentially flat?

Old Post 03-01-2017 05:56 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
Can you show evidence of this? Also that short wavelength variations were essentially flat?

https://www.ishares.com/us/products...etf#chartDialog

It's not flat and the market did gain if you look at it year over year but if you're being difficult and pick certain points you can argue just about anything because the markets go up/down.

Old Post 03-01-2017 11:12 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

https://www.ishares.com/us/products...etf#chartDialog

It's not flat and the market did gain if you look at it year over year but if you're being difficult and pick certain points you can argue just about anything because the markets go up/down.

Exactly my point

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:09 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:33 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Questtrade Portfolio IQ?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: