Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Blackberry KEYone?

Author
Thread
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

Blackberry KEYone? quote:

My phone is about ready for retirement, so I've waiting for the new S8 for what seems like forever. However, after yet another year of dealing with glitchy f-ing Samsungs, I have been really missing my old reliable and easy to type with Blackberry Bold.

If only they had a phone with a keyboard, proper camera, decent power, and ran Andriod.... well, maybe this is the answer?

http://www.blackberrymobile.com/index.html

I guess the question is, am I crazy for even thinking about getting into a Blackberry again?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2017 12:51 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dino_martini
Second Gear

What I drive: Perpetual Test Drive
Posts/Day: 0.45
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I don't think you're too crazy. It looks a little weird in pictures but the specs seem decent. Will have to see what the actual build quality is. Depending on the price outright I might pick one up as a back up/just to play around with. I do wish more companies would put the LED indicator light in their phone. And I also do long for the feel of the keyboard on my old BlackBerry 9900.

Old Post 02-28-2017 01:03 AM
dino_martini is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dino_martini Click here to Send dino_martini a Private Message Find more posts by dino_martini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eglove
Third Gear

What I drive: fiesta
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Marijuana is bad but blackberry is still a want??

Old Post 02-28-2017 01:13 AM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

^^ Old addictions never die, haha

Originally posted by dino_martini
I don't think you're too crazy. It looks a little weird in pictures but the specs seem decent. Will have to see what the actual build quality is. Depending on the price outright I might pick one up as a back up/just to play around with. I do wish more companies would put the LED indicator light in their phone. And I also do long for the feel of the keyboard on my old BlackBerry 9900.

I totally forgot about the little LED light when you get a message feature.... I do miss that a lot as well

Old Post 02-28-2017 02:55 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I will be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on it. Looks slick and I love the physical keyboard. Passport was one of my favourite phones minus the OS10. So Android on a similar looking phone will be sick.

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:27 AM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Bold was the last phone they built in house... quality of the z10 and q10 was junk, I'm over it. Finally caved a year and a half ago and got an iPhone 6s +, I'm a believer now

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:29 AM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
littledan
First Gear

What I drive: LEXUS LX470
Posts/Day: 0.17
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I'm posting from a classic and will be getting the keyone as soon as it's available

Old Post 02-28-2017 04:44 AM
littledan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for littledan Click here to Send littledan a Private Message Find more posts by littledan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Very weak processor and low RAM stand out at first glance. Not sure what camera sensor it's using or what autofocus method(s). Every phone Blackberry has put out recently has been pretty bad. Personally I'd pass unless the only thing you care about is that physical keyboard. The few reviews I found are not very positive. Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones. If you try it and like it though that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Every Galaxy and Google phone have had notification lights for years if you like that feature. Lighting up the entire screen for you to see you got a message is ridiculous IMO. What about a Pixel? Rock solid OS, pure Android smoothness, notification light, best camera available, and comes in 2 sizes.

The S8 should be good too, everything is known about it already pretty much. It will be the first phone with the SD835.

Old Post 02-28-2017 04:59 AM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. It could be better by today's standards for sure. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.

Last edited by shakalaka on 02-28-2017 at 05:24 AM

Old Post 02-28-2017 05:17 AM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by shakalaka
3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.

2016 Flagships all used 4GB ram minimum, the GS8 will be 6GB as will I suspect most 2017 flagships. The SD635 is a weak processor as well.

The battery is 3505 mAh which is pretty standard. Roughly the same as a Note, Pixel XL, etc. Phones like the S7 edge, Mate 8, several Motorola models, Zenphone, etc. all have larger batteries yet, up to 5,000 mAh. Quickcharge has been around in various forms in the android world for quite a while now. My Pixel XL charges to 50% in ~30 mins as well and has a 3450mAh battery. The GS8 should be even faster, likely using Qualcomms quick charge 3.0.

Google's camera software is what makes it as good as it is, specifically it's zero-lag HDR implementation. Google also uses the CPU's DSP for image processing which nobody else is doing right now as far as I know. It is objectively the best smartphone camera available at the moment.

I don't think this phone is trying to compete with any flagships, but if he's used to a Galaxy S(X) he is probably used to a certain level of spec.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 02-28-2017 at 05:40 AM

Old Post 02-28-2017 05:38 AM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

I was sort of waiting for the S8, but with all of the battery issues Samsung has been having, along with constant problems on my wife's S7 (and my older Samsung has been a freaking nightmare lately), in addition to the support for my Samsung TV being utterly decimated; I am starting to want to move away from the brand. That said, the S8 is going to be a pretty amazing phone when it finally launches.

Apple for me isn't an option, I hate the brand in general and their overzealous software.

The Google phone has been on my mind, but again, not just feeling it. The Daydream VR they launched is pretty shitty compared to the S7 + Gear VR. I also feel like the S7 has a better camera than the Pixel. At the end of the day, the pixel doesn't strike me as being special... kind of like a Hyundai. I know they are pretty well spec'd, but it doesn't bring the wow factor I am looking for in my ownership experience.

As far as the BB goes: The KeyONE is going to use the newer 625 8 core processor, which runs at 2Ghz. It isn't going to be as good as the 835 for sure, but it isn't exactly slow either. It should also use a less power and give the phone battery a longer life in day to day use. I can't say how well the new BB camera is going to perform, but the Dtek60 has been getting really good reviews in that area, and the KeyONE should be a further improvement on it. The keyboard, system reliability, and security are the big motivating factors for me.

The thing about BB is they are never at the very top of the tech food chain, but even still, I've never owned a bad one. Even my old Bold makes me smile when I power it up for trips overseas, or when my Samsung is out of action... it just does what it is supposed to do, and in a way that I feel satisfied and not wanting to rage at it all the time.

Not sold on it yet, but I am bouncing between the S8 or the KeyONE for sure at this point

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 02-28-2017 at 05:45 AM

Old Post 02-28-2017 05:38 AM
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones.

I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/147...ket-share-chart

Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 02-28-2017 02:51 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Why they haven't just sold off their naming rights to samsung to make a line of business targeted phones is beyond me.

I think its gotten to the point where their name might be worth nothing, a couple years ago they might have had a shot.

What a delusional company.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 02-28-2017 02:53 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Lots of good reviews for the Priv, including my own.
I'd think this would be similar.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/blackbe...mp;pagenumber=3

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:22 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.

They are like Nokia now, just license the name to Chinese phone makers.

BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.

As for KeyOne, it's not for me. I need they remake the Priv with SD835.

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:22 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/147...ket-share-chart

Haha 0.0% market share - doesn't get too much lower than that!

You're right though, they "bow out" every year and then out comes their newest phone.

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:52 PM
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.

The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 02-28-2017 04:28 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The Google phone has been on my mind, but again, not just feeling it. The Daydream VR they launched is pretty shitty compared to the S7 + Gear VR. I also feel like the S7 has a better camera than the Pixel. At the end of the day, the pixel doesn't strike me as being special... kind of like a Hyundai. I know they are pretty well spec'd, but it doesn't bring the wow factor I am looking for in my ownership experience.

Have you tried out a Pixel for any length of time? It is probably the fastest and smoothest phone available. Zero issues, bugs, or lag and no TouchWiz. Monthly security updates, guaranteed latest versions of android, and the hassle-free google ownership experience with free device replacement for a year. 2-3 day battery life is easily achievable. It's also Google's baby, so if anything does come up, you can bet they will be on top of it. The assistant is good, and there is 24/7 support built right into the settings menu (chat or call) if you have issues.

The Pixel has a better camera, better video stabilization, and a better HDR implementation than the GS7, however if there is some subjective element you prefer, then fair enough. The Pixel also is the only phone to offer free unlimited full resolution photo and video storage including 4K video, which is awesome if you do lots of that, and you can easily get away with the cheaper 32GB of storage.

VR is in it's infancy everywhere. I don't think either implementation is especially good. Daydream is cool (and comes with a remote), and there will be lots of effort put into developing the platform going forward. If VR is a big deal to you, you probably shouldn't be looking at any of the phone-based solutions. The screen on the Pixel XL is made by Samsung and is the same as the GS7, so that part of the experience should be identical. The experience is largely dependent on the apps/games, other than that if you have a comfortable headset they are all pretty much the same.

One area the Samsung wins everywhere is style - the GS(X) phones are always stunning. No other smartphone out there can compete with something like the GS7 Edge or what the GS8 is likely to be like IMHO. They look amazing and build quality is top notch.

Anyways unless you have completely ruled it out, I would at least check it out beyond fiddling with it at the store if you have the opportunity (and maybe you already have).

Old Post 02-28-2017 04:59 PM
KLCC
Neutral

What I drive: Toyota, and VQ35DE
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 105%

thought priv has monthly update quote:

The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.

I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
-- Donald Rumsfeld

Old Post 02-28-2017 06:09 PM
KLCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KLCC Click here to Send KLCC a Private Message Find more posts by KLCC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
User Rating: 95%

Re: thought priv has monthly update quote:

Originally posted by KLCC

I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)

PRIV does. All BB Android get monthly update on the 3rd of every month.

Rage is just saying why most Android manufacturs don't patch their OS.

I have not idea when PRIV get nougat. At this point I don't really care if they keep patching 6.

Google is pulling Google Now launcher this month and still locked Pixel Launcher and Assistants to only Pixel phones (yeah I know I can side load). I'm not sure if they want Android to fragment even further.

Last edited by Xtrema on 02-28-2017 at 06:34 PM

Old Post 02-28-2017 06:27 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 01:38 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Blackberry KEYone?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: