Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Your go to site when searching online for a service?

Author
Thread
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Your go to site when searching online for a service? quote:

Hi Beyond.

I'm doing some minor market research, and was wondering how you all search for various services. More specifically, do you use the generic Google results, or do you go directly to a site like Yelp and/or Yellow Pages?

Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:48 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Google search. Hate Yelp and yellow pages website.

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:54 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ganesh
Neutral

What I drive: 2014 335GT
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Google Search.

I don't use Yelp at all. They are known for their shady business practice and altering the surveys.

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:16 PM
ganesh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ganesh Click here to Send ganesh a Private Message Find more posts by ganesh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.74
Trader Rating: (31)

quote:

Google.

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:20 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36

quote:

Thank you for the replies so far.

Even more specifically, if your Google results include Yelp or YP, do you go to either of those?

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:29 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)

quote:

I use google for research. If it's like researching minor services like a plumber or something, I used to use yelp to read their reviews, but not anymore.

i've noticed that with yelp, it seems to only list positive or "relevant" results or something, but down at the very bottom if you scroll down, you'll see a grayed out area that has their "not recommended reviews". This screwed me when I was looking for a plumber as I didn't see the 100+ poor reviews. Apparently their system screens out reviews that don't make their cut whatever that means.

Otherwise, Beyond has been pretty good to me for recommending various services.

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:49 PM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

There are some sites that are better than google for specific services. I'm thinking things like travel (expedia), food (urbanspoon), gas (gasbuddy) etc.

For general information, google all the way. I'm actually finding Facebook is starting to really crank up the jam and get their targeted advertising figured out, I actually save a couple ads a week it seems now.

Old Post 03-01-2017 05:34 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Beyond, every time, always been very happy with the results.

Old Post 03-01-2017 08:29 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I might start with google for direction, but I take info/recommendations from forums or objective sources only. If you google "best place to get X service", the search results will probably return the opposite. You almost always have to dig deeper IMO, past the ad revenue, trolls, etc.

Old Post 03-01-2017 08:38 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
User Rating: 91%

quote:

I use Excite search and Bing, if you need more info, pm me your ICQ number

Old Post 03-01-2017 09:19 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
User Rating: 123%

quote:

I start with google, always. After i go to a site that primarily review that service.

Old Post 03-01-2017 10:02 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Backpage

Old Post 03-01-2017 10:32 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nismodrifter

What I drive: Cars
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 114%

quote:

Originally posted by Dumbass17
I use Excite search and Bing, if you need more info, pm me your ICQ number

Old Post 03-01-2017 11:33 PM
nismodrifter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nismodrifter Click here to Send nismodrifter a Private Message Find more posts by nismodrifter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.92

quote:

Google. With the search results I avoid yelp and yellow pages, find them useless.

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 03-01-2017 11:50 PM
NoPulp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Star1995

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03

quote:

I start with Beyond and move to Google, once I find someone or some company I Google that name with the word scam in the search and keep going from there. Example Direct Energy scam...

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:24 AM
Star1995 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Star1995 Click here to Send Star1995 a Private Message Find more posts by Star1995 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
Backpage

lol

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:57 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

If its a local service/business then google but if its something online then usually reddit (or reddit via google)

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:58 AM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.65
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Yellow Pages?

How do they manage to continue to exist? I do not actually remember the last time I've used the Yellow Pages either in hard copy or online. They're a medium that's become a dinosaur and just can not compete with Google.

Old Post 03-02-2017 03:42 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CompletelyNumb
First Gear

What I drive: Ford F150
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

Yelp's pretty well known to be shady. They will call businesses up and offer them a premium listing that hides all the negative reviews. If you say no, the negatives ones start appearing more often.

Google reviews and Beyond are often accurate.

Old Post 03-02-2017 04:34 AM
CompletelyNumb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CompletelyNumb Click here to Send CompletelyNumb a Private Message Find more posts by CompletelyNumb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SKR
First Gear

What I drive: Trucks and junk
Posts/Day: 0.21

quote:

Originally posted by speedog
Yellow Pages?

How do they manage to continue to exist? I do not actually remember the last time I've used the Yellow Pages either in hard copy or online. They're a medium that's become a dinosaur and just can not compete with Google.

I still use a phone book for certain things, even if I'm sitting in front of a computer or have my phone with me. It's faster to flip pages than wait for a website to load just to get a phone number. Or, if you're in one of those situations where you know who you want to call, but can't remember the name unless you see it, you'll be forever trying to search for it.

If I had to pay for a phone book I don't think I'd have one though.

Old Post 03-02-2017 01:50 PM
SKR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SKR Click here to Send SKR a Private Message Find more posts by SKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 10:12 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Your go to site when searching online for a service?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: