Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Mobile Internet - Options?

Author
Thread
Ekliptix
Gram Cracker

What I drive: 2008 Z06
Posts/Day: 0.60
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 100%

Mobile Internet - Options? quote:

Hi,

I'm moving into the county and don't like the slow satellite internet option, so I'm looking at mobile internet options through the cell companies.

So far, I like the Rogers options I've found: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wire...-internet?ipn=1

Buy the hardware for $240.

Pick a plan that suits your needs.

Result?: Fast internet.

Anyone have any experience going this route?

Last edited by Ekliptix on 03-01-2017 at 06:48 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-01-2017 06:34 PM
Ekliptix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ekliptix Click here to Send Ekliptix a Private Message Visit Ekliptix's homepage! Find more posts by Ekliptix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

tha_bandit
First Gear

What I drive: has 3rd party insurance
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Check Telus, more data, better pricing
Telus

Old Post 03-01-2017 07:15 PM
tha_bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tha_bandit Click here to Send tha_bandit a Private Message Find more posts by tha_bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gman.45

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

The bandwidth limits are terrible IMO - $5/gb past 100gb which is already $145. I guess it's the best of limited options, but wow, that is NOT cheap. Netflix just an hour or two here and there a day will demolish that 100gb limit in short order just on its own, if you're watching any programs in the 5800+ bitstream, or worse 4k. Then add any gaming, surfing, etc - it almost doesn't seem worth it, as again, just an hour or two of Netflix according to their own charts will gobble that up in 30 days or less, let alone gaming, Steam downloads, etc. If you can't do any of that without paying more than the already high $150, or at least very, very limited amounts, what is really the point of "faster" internet in the first place?

Sorry to rant, but guys I fly with that live in Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc, pay under $100 CDN for no cap 250mbs syncro internet through a similar system to the Rogers one - well LTE anyway. Very frustrating we don't have that in Canada - same with cell phone data I guess...

Last edited by Gman.45 on 03-01-2017 at 07:21 PM

Old Post 03-01-2017 07:16 PM
Gman.45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gman.45 Click here to Send Gman.45 a Private Message Find more posts by Gman.45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tha_bandit
First Gear

What I drive: has 3rd party insurance
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

The Telus plan as per the link is 110 for 500GB, so not too bad, but they also charge 10 per 5GB on extra usage.

Old Post 03-01-2017 08:34 PM
tha_bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tha_bandit Click here to Send tha_bandit a Private Message Find more posts by tha_bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ekliptix
Gram Cracker

quote:

I had not found that option at Telus in my initial search. Much better, thank you.

For reference:
Gaming: I don't do it.
Netflix: 2 hours per week max.
Music: Streaming 10hrs per week.
Youtube/surfing: 4hrs per week.
Work: Potential large data transfers, plus video conferences each week.

2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile

Past Cars:
2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108
1989 5L Mustang
1990 Jeep Cherokee
1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Old Post 03-01-2017 09:10 PM
Ekliptix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ekliptix Click here to Send Ekliptix a Private Message Visit Ekliptix's homepage! Find more posts by Ekliptix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thetransporter
First Gear

What I drive: acura TYPE A

quote:

those ZTE boxes are horrible, they occasionally go offline and require a full power reset you have to hold the power button for a few seconds while plugging it in or some non sense.

Old Post 03-06-2017 06:00 AM
thetransporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thetransporter Click here to Send thetransporter a Private Message Find more posts by thetransporter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ekliptix
Gram Cracker

quote:

do you have another recommendation?

2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile

Past Cars:
2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108
1989 5L Mustang
1990 Jeep Cherokee
1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Old Post 03-06-2017 04:18 PM
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28

quote:

You have to call Telus, that deal is only available for those without wired cable options.

Some people pointed me in that direction for my parents acreage. Now there is wireless internet good enough to stream 1080p video. $110 for 500gb per month? Screamin deal for anyone that isn't a power user!

Old Post 03-06-2017 04:42 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cam_wmh
First Gear

What I drive: VW R32 Turbo
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

http://www.microhardcorp.com/BulletPlus.php

Originally posted by sputnik
Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Old Post 03-07-2017 04:26 PM
cam_wmh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cam_wmh Click here to Send cam_wmh a Private Message Find more posts by cam_wmh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Get a router that supports load balancing, fail over etc. Then get at least TWO ISP providers - if you're serious about internet. Eg. Davinvi + Telus.

I have clients out in Priddis that get hosed all the time by shit speeds and questionable bandwidth overage (even when client was away for a month, and all devices turned off - they STILL went over???)

Old Post 03-07-2017 05:40 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mar
Second Gear

What I drive: 2015 Hyundai Veloster
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 88%

quote:

Rogers? Skip it, I wouldn't even place them in the same league as other cellular providers, trying to get a signal with them anywhere outside a city is going to be like playing the lottery.
I just picked up a Novatel MiFi 6630 from Bell last week, we're using it to get connected at job sites that the mobile sales team will be travelling to. Pair it with a 5 decibel antenna that plugs right into the unit and you're good to go.

One thing I didn't like about the ZTE was that you had to constantly hit the power button every time you wanted to use it, but I guess if you leave it on all the time you don't need to worry about that

Originally posted by Go4Long
or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
you do realize this is the internet right? lol

Originally posted by rob the knob
mar, you are good guy at heart
you must realize your limitations
then you will be happy if you fine place in live

Originally posted by blitz
Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Old Post 03-08-2017 06:01 AM
Mar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mar Click here to Send Mar a Private Message Find more posts by Mar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:10 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Mobile Internet - Options?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: