Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Replacing shingle roof (DIY). General questions.

Author
Thread
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Replacing shingle roof (DIY). General questions. quote:

Hi all.

1) How does a typical house insurance company consider a DIY shingle job? I'll be calling mine, but just want to make sure I ask all the right questions.

2) I do all my own house stuff such as plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc, but I've never shingled a roof. I'll have a helper who has some roofing experience, and I'll do all the online researching. But, if you have any tips regarding the install, please post them.

3) With the helper, will be there be any insurance concerns in case he gets injured?.

4) Any suggestions on the type of asphalt shingles to use, or which to avoid?

Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2017 07:49 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

I reshingled (and re-sheathed) my garage a couple of years ago single handedly. Nothing fancy, just plain tar paper and 35 year asphalt shingles from Roofmart.

It's not difficult skill wise, but definitely a back breaker. I bought a tarp large enough to cover the entire roof so I didn't have to be in a rush, and rain storms didn't put me in panic mode. I also bought everything I needed (shingle shovel, nail gun, etc.), and then sold them as a bundle for about 75% of my purchase price, again so I could take my time and not worry about rentals.

Definitely invest in safety harnesses for you and your helper. A pain in the ass, and gets in your way, but broken bones do too. From a legal perspective, having one available for your helper will cover your ass too, in case he doesn't use it, and falls.

I humped my shingles up myself by ladder because I didn't trust the weight of a full pallet of shingles being craned onto my roof. That part was shitty, lol. I'll build some wooden stairs when I do our bungelow next.

Edit: Don't be stingy with air vents either. Most houses in Calgary have FARRR less vents than they should.

Last edited by Tik-Tok on 03-05-2017 at 11:23 PM

Old Post 03-05-2017 11:20 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Thanks Tik-Tok.

I'll definitely use the safety harnesses, and I'm good for vents.

The roof is in 4 "sections" and we'll only be able to work on weekends, so it will be one section at a time, with a large tarp for rain and off days.

I'll be doing just as you did by purchasing the tools, then selling them.

Old Post 03-05-2017 11:46 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomespunLobster
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968
Thanks Tik-Tok.

I'll definitely use the safety harnesses, and I'm good for vents.

The roof is in 4 "sections" and we'll only be able to work on weekends, so it will be one section at a time, with a large tarp for rain and off days.

I'll be doing just as you did by purchasing the tools, then selling them.

Watch a couple youtube vidoes, check a couple forums. It's not rocket science. I don't know how big your house is, but if you keep working hard with little to no beer breaks you should be able to get most of it done in a weekend. Crew of 3 guys across the street from my place reshingled a roof in a day, from removal to new shingles.

I did my 24x24 garage in a day by myself.

Old Post 03-06-2017 01:28 AM
HomespunLobster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HomespunLobster Click here to Send HomespunLobster a Private Message Find more posts by HomespunLobster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:32 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Replacing shingle roof (DIY). General questions.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: