Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Word "Super" trademarked.

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Word "Super" trademarked. quote:

(Video embedded link)http://theknow.roosterteeth.com/epi...ark-troll-again

Billionaire makers of Candy Crush have successfully trademarked the word "Super".

Anyone who uses the word is now subject to trademark infringement. Super Bowl could be fined next year.

Just like how no one can use the word "Sky" in Britain.

Lol. L O Freaking L.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-2017 01:59 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

sr20s14zenki
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone
Posts/Day: 1.53
Trader Rating: (47)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Well, thats just super.

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:25 PM
sr20s14zenki is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sr20s14zenki Click here to Send sr20s14zenki a Private Message Find more posts by sr20s14zenki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

It'll get crushed in lawsuits or won't get anywhere.

It'll be like 'escalator', which was trademarked before by OTIS. I realize this situation is backwards, to which I'm surprised it was granted.

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:38 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

Isn't it only for using the term "Super" in video games?
Not everywhere.

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:40 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

You should've done a little bit more research, the word 'super' has only been trademarked for use in video games - link to supporting documentation.

So your assertion that 'Super Bowl' is now a liable term in all areas is untrue and knowing the NFL, they've most likely already covered that in the video game world as well.

Now for things like 'Super Mario', there's probably an existing trademark for that term as well. In the end, the Lol is a bit on you - hey, is 'Lol' up for grabs?

Last edited by speedog on 03-09-2017 at 02:56 PM

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:45 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Shouldn't it be 'LOL'?

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:47 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Yupp, 'Super Mario' is already trademarked in the video/electronic game category - link.

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:50 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by ZenOps
Super Bowl could be fined next year.

Except the NFL has trademarked the term "Super Bowl" so...

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:51 PM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
Shouldn't it be 'LOL'?

Not sure if case matters but there certainly is plenty of trademark activity with respect to the term 'Lol' - link.

Too funny, 'flipstah' was successfully registered but then cancelled - link.

Last edited by speedog on 03-09-2017 at 03:02 PM

Old Post 03-09-2017 02:55 PM
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

Re: Word "Super" trademarked. quote:

(Video embedded link)http://theknow.roosterteeth.com/epi...ark-troll-again

Billionaire makers of Candy Crush have successfully trademarked the word "Super".

Anyone who uses the word is now subject to trademark infringement. Super Bowl could be fined next year.

Just like how no one can use the word "Sky" in Britain.

Lol. L O Freaking L.

I haven't watched the video yet but this sounds like fake or horribly misrepresented news.

BTW no Super Bowl will not be fined, that is absurd. The Super Bowl has already trademarked the term "super bowl".

Edit: damn, spent too much time baffled by this post before responding, everyone beat me too it

Old Post 03-09-2017 03:05 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Sure they could be sued, everyone is up for suing if they continue to use the words.

Skype was taken to court in Britain over the work "Sky". Sky won, Skype lost. The Superbowl is actually very recent, the CFL is actually much older. Even Superman is older than Superbowl.

Could they be required to just call the football game "Bowl", technically - yes. Better hurry up and trademark "bowl" too before they are forced to call it "Just another football game".

If Anything: Zuckerberg and Hawaii real estate shows that previous centuries or thousands of years of ownership means nothing in US law, its the dollar bills that matter. Dollah dollah bills yo. Does set a scary path for all the third generation farmers in the middle of the US...

Last edited by ZenOps on 03-09-2017 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 03-09-2017 03:21 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Jesus billionares off candy crush. What a fucking pathetic population we have these days

Old Post 03-09-2017 03:44 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Originally posted by speedog

Not sure if case matters but there certainly is plenty of trademark activity with respect to the term 'Lol' - link.

Too funny, 'flipstah' was successfully registered but then cancelled - link.

HOW DARE THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF MY NAME?!

Originally posted by riander5
Jesus billionares off candy crush. What a fucking pathetic population we have these days

It's the new crossword puzzle for the new generation!

My mom loves Candy Crush. Except she keeps spamming my Facebook because she cheap af.

Old Post 03-09-2017 03:58 PM
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Without doubt though, this will keep all the lawyers happy.

Imagine - they have the entire dictionary to go through legal processes on. Suits and countersuits for "Apple" to "Zen" will keep them employed and rich for at least a few generations.

BTW: Dibs on "Zen" and the "@" symbol.

Old Post 03-09-2017 04:00 PM
Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Trademarks on common words is a lawyers dream.

Old Post 03-09-2017 04:30 PM
Gestalt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Without doubt though, this will keep all the lawyers happy.

Imagine - they have the entire dictionary to go through legal processes on. Suits and countersuits for "Apple" to "Zen" will keep them employed and rich for at least a few generations.

BTW: Dibs on "Zen" and the "@" symbol.

Did you not read any of the posts above?

Old Post 03-09-2017 04:43 PM
Antonito
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

Why do people reply to ZenOps like he's a rational person? oh wow I can't believe after a decade of him missing the point in literally everything that he missed the point this time too

Old Post 03-09-2017 05:57 PM
Antonito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Antonito Click here to Send Antonito a Private Message Find more posts by Antonito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by speedog
You should've done a little bit more research, the word 'super' has only been trademarked for use in video games - link to supporting documentation.

So your assertion that 'Super Bowl' is now a liable term in all areas is untrue and knowing the NFL, they've most likely already covered that in the video game world as well.

Now for things like 'Super Mario', there's probably an existing trademark for that term as well. In the end, the Lol is a bit on you - hey, is 'Lol' up for grabs?

Are you shocked that it's a Zenops post with no in depth reading of his own article?

Old Post 03-09-2017 05:57 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by riander5

Old Post 03-09-2017 06:00 PM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Originally posted by FraserB

Are you shocked that it's a Zenops post with no in depth reading of his own article?

It's a video.

And a trademark on the word super is stupid, no matter how you guys attack zenops

Old Post 03-09-2017 07:37 PM
Gestalt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:41 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Word "Super" trademarked.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: