Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > GoPro Alternatives?

Author
Thread
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 91%

GoPro Alternatives? quote:

So I am leaving on a trip in June and considering buying an "action cam" to film some of my adventures. I'm specifically looking for something with a decent battery life as well as ability to be mounted to a surfboard as I hope to get alot of footage.
With that being said, I don't want to fork out $500+ for a gopro and all the accessories.
I've been looking at the SJCAM SJ5000X, does anyone have any experience with this one or an alternative?
https://www.amazon.ca/SJ5000X-Actio...0X+Elite+Action

Last edited by Dumbass17 on 03-09-2017 at 08:47 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-2017 08:39 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

spike98
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Having had both a chinese action cam and a gopro, i can say they are 100% worth the extra money. Honestly. If you are looking to save some money, get a used setup off kijiji. You will have much better image quality with a hero3 black used than any chinese clone.

They are on kijiji with accessories all day long for $200-$250.

Watch sample videos side by side on youtube to see what i mean. Especially videos with lots of action or in lower light.

Old Post 03-09-2017 10:36 PM
spike98 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spike98 Click here to Send spike98 a Private Message Find more posts by spike98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I just bought 2 of these.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xiaoyi-y...a-14-130441.htm

they were on sales last week for $199 @ NCIX. Now I guess only the white and pick are on sale at $235.

These beat GoPro Hero 4 Black in almost every way. The big bonus is battery life. Just check out review/comparison video on youtube.

But the right housing, they will mount on all GoPro mounts. Plus there is a standard tripod mount on the camera body itself.

Old Post 03-10-2017 12:28 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

The GoPro quality is nothing to write home about (1/2.3" sensors) and they are a giant rip-off for what they are. Where they have an advantage is in accessory support and brand recognition, but usually there are ways to adapt other brands to GoPro accessories.

Old Post 03-10-2017 04:04 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Why not just get the session?

Old Post 03-10-2017 04:07 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Sony has a good lineup!

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/a...am/t/action-cam

Old Post 03-10-2017 04:32 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
I just bought 2 of these.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xiaoyi-y...a-14-130441.htm

they were on sales last week for $199 @ NCIX. Now I guess only the white and pick are on sale at $235.

These beat GoPro Hero 4 Black in almost every way. The big bonus is battery life. Just check out review/comparison video on youtube.

But the right housing, they will mount on all GoPro mounts. Plus there is a standard tripod mount on the camera body itself.

After watching alot of videos and reviews, I went ahead and purchased the white model on sale of this for $235.

Thanks guys!

Old Post 03-10-2017 04:46 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Everyone knows GoPro lives on marketing. It's a lifestyle.

Keep us posted on the purchase though!

Old Post 03-10-2017 05:03 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
Why not just get the session?

Non-replaceable battery is the issue. No continuous shooting. Once you are done, you have to charge up before going again.

Old Post 03-11-2017 01:25 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:01 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > GoPro Alternatives?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: