Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Home insurance and Vacation- Timeline for not being at home

Author
Thread
sansglee

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Home insurance and Vacation- Timeline for not being at home quote:

As per the insurance company, Does anybody know how long can we leave the home for vacation. Like physically not being at the property ?

I read somewhere if you are away from your home for 30 days or more, then your insurance will be cancelled or so automatically, is that true ?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-10-2017 05:46 PM
sansglee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sansglee Click here to Send sansglee a Private Message Find more posts by sansglee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

spike98
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I will be in your policy documents. For a matter of perspective, my policy states 3 days unchecked.

Old Post 03-10-2017 05:48 PM
spike98 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spike98 Click here to Send spike98 a Private Message Find more posts by spike98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.69
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

TD defines vacant as unoccupied for 30 days. They would not be obligated to pay for any damages if the property is vacant.

They also have (had?) a separate clause for water damage from burst pipes where they will deny claims if you are away for 7 days or more without someone physically checking on the house or a heat/water monitoring service hooked up.

Old Post 03-10-2017 05:55 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by kenny
They also have (had?) a separate clause for water damage from burst pipes where they will deny claims if you are away for 7 days or more without someone physically checking on the house or a heat/water monitoring service hooked up.

Mine with sovereign says 9 days
My parents' with wawanesa says 3 days.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:27 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

RBC Insurance says 3 days. Check your documents or call them.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:50 PM
ee2k is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sansglee

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
User Rating: 100%

quote:

i called TD, they say they have no restrictions / Limitations at all. Not sure if its true?

Old Post 03-10-2017 07:50 PM
sansglee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sansglee Click here to Send sansglee a Private Message Find more posts by sansglee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

This is something that will fluctuate from company to company. Traditionally with most companies if you were away for more than three or four days during the heating season you were supposed to have someone check on the house every day or two. Again, this can vary wildly from company to company.

And be careful about the being away on vacation versus the property being vacant. They are two very different things. Unoccupied does not equal vacant.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 03-10-2017 09:56 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.69
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Originally posted by sansglee
i called TD, they say they have no restrictions / Limitations at all. Not sure if its true?

TD was in the news a few years ago when they denied a claim for a burst pipe because the homeowner was away from her home (she was staying at her mom's place).

Simplest thing you can do is shut off your main water supply if you're planning on being away for extended period. This isn't the best option though if you have hardwood and need to maintain some level of humidity.

Best thing you can do is get a thermostat that can alert you if the temp is too low so you can get someone to go check on your house.

Old Post 03-10-2017 10:26 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:31 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Home insurance and Vacation- Timeline for not being at home

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: