Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > What to do with my 09 STi ?

Author
Thread
eb0i
First Gear

What I drive: 2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 99%

Question What to do with my 09 STi ? quote:

My 2nd engine in my 2009 Subaru STi crapped out last month and after the back and forth with Subaru Canada I've made the decision to not replace the engine. They are willing to give me a new block, but I have to pay for labor and parts which will come out to about ~$10k. Even if I pay $10k to fix it and then sell it, I would not recuperate the cost of fixing it. They won't give me the block to take home or to take to another garage because of "warranty issues".

At this point I don't want to put more money into it and have pretty much moved on.

What should I do? Junk it? Sell the body?

Also I have a decent after market sound system in there, brand new winters, radar, starter...should I strip it?

Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Last edited by eb0i on 03-10-2017 at 06:08 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:02 PM
eb0i is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eb0i Click here to Send eb0i a Private Message Find more posts by eb0i Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

overnight parts from japan?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:04 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

Take out the stereo, radar, put the stock rims/tires and sell it as-is. I'm sure you wouldn't have difficulty finding someone who would jump at the chance to take that on as a project.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:05 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

N54 swap with a big single turbo! I have no idea what that would entail.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:06 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mzdspd
Neutral

What I drive: LNF
Posts/Day: 0.18
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Take out the stereo, radar, put the stock rims/tires and sell it as-is. I'm sure you wouldn't have difficulty finding someone who would jump at the chance to take that on as a project.

This.. I had a friend sell his 07 with a blown engine for 14k. Car was in good condition with 100k. Someone will buy it as a project.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:14 PM
mzdspd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mzdspd Click here to Send mzdspd a Private Message Find more posts by mzdspd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eb0i
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by mzdspd

This.. I had a friend sell his 07 with a blown engine for 14k. Car was in good condition with 100k. Someone will buy it as a project.

Jesus. Just list it on Kijiji then I assume?

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:15 PM
eb0i is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eb0i Click here to Send eb0i a Private Message Find more posts by eb0i Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KRyn
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 109%

quote:

Find a used engine and have an Indy do the swap / do some your self?

Originally posted by lint
Who the f*ck cares what brand of protein a weak ass sissy takes? Or what exercises a weak ass sissy does?

Originally posted by slinkie
to each haters of "milk" your eating like a b!tch so ur gonna stay a b!tch. eat some cow eat some pizza eat cow in pasta cow in bread cow with cheese drink cow. look at cows there big eat them and ull be to. u are what u eat u wanna eat chicked ull stay being a chicken. u wanna eat string cheese ur gonna be a string cheese. u wanna eat fruit ur ganna be a fruit. Enjoy life.

Last edited by KRyn on 03-10-2017 at 06:43 PM

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:38 PM
KRyn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KRyn Click here to Send KRyn a Private Message Visit KRyn's homepage! Find more posts by KRyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mzdspd
Neutral

What I drive: LNF
Posts/Day: 0.18

quote:

Originally posted by eb0i

Yep listed on kijiji.. A farmer bought it for his son for his first car lol..

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:38 PM
mzdspd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mzdspd Click here to Send mzdspd a Private Message Find more posts by mzdspd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

Originally posted by eb0i

Or Western Subaru Club.

Hell, if the current engine's already been pulled out, you may have already done half the work for someone depending on what they want to do with it.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:43 PM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darthVWader
Neutral

What I drive: VW Jetta TDLie
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Ask them if they will let you take the block if you can sign off on future warranty.

Old Post 03-10-2017 06:49 PM
darthVWader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darthVWader Click here to Send darthVWader a Private Message Find more posts by darthVWader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.91

quote:

LS swap it

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 03-10-2017 07:03 PM
NoPulp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.38
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Is it really $10k to install an engine in this city?

Old Post 03-10-2017 07:37 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eb0i
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by heavyD
Is it really $10k to install an engine in this city?

Going through the stealership apparently it is.

Old Post 03-10-2017 08:18 PM
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
User Rating: 98%

quote:

What was done to the engines that caused them to blow up just out of curiosity ?

Old Post 03-10-2017 08:29 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
g-m
First Gear

What I drive: Z
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Spun rod bearing? Replacing Subaru engines is a piece of cake. Get a crate engine for 3k, do it yourself. It's REALLY easy

2010 sti - winter

Old Post 03-10-2017 08:51 PM
g-m is offline Click Here to See the Profile for g-m Click here to Send g-m a Private Message Find more posts by g-m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eb0i
First Gear

quote:

My first engine had a crack blocked and leaked 1.1L of oil for every 1000km. Replaced at 90,000km.

The second engine had rod bearing failure at about 70,000km. Which apparently is very common in the EJ engines for 2008 and up.

Old Post 03-10-2017 09:15 PM
top_speed
Neutral

What I drive: jdm b18c
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 89%

quote:

They are willing to give you the block, but you still have to pay for parts?? What?? So are you replacing the head as well + labour for 10k?

Old Post 03-10-2017 09:41 PM
top_speed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for top_speed Click here to Send top_speed a Private Message Find more posts by top_speed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eb0i
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by top_speed
They are willing to give you the block, but you still have to pay for parts?? What?? So are you replacing the head as well + labour for 10k?

They gave me a choice of choosing a long block or short block (that they will cover). The rest of the parts and labor I'm expected to cover.

My car is currently a Subaru Calgary and they are quoting me $10k. I've asked for a detailed quote and still have not received anything.

I spoke to Centaur Subaru, and within an hour they came back with a written quote and told me a I should go short block and with all parts and potentially machining I would be looking at about $8k (plus tax).

Old Post 03-10-2017 09:52 PM
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

I might be interested if you want to sell it. Can you send me pictures?

Old Post 03-10-2017 10:17 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Why aren't they covering labour for warranty? That's stupid.

I sold my R as-is. Someone will buy it as a project.

Old Post 03-10-2017 10:18 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:38 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > What to do with my 09 STi ?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: