Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Thomas Dang wants to eliminate DST

Author
Thread
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

Thomas Dang wants to eliminate DST quote:

What do you guys think?

http://www.macleans.ca/society/albe...ht-saving-time/

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:36 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 1.6L full of angry bees
Posts/Day: 2.09
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

"The 21-year-old [NDP] MLA"

That basically sums it up for you

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:41 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Wasn't there an article a while back that showed that DST results on more power usage?

If you want to dump it for that reason, then I can kind of agree with it. But that's probably the only reason

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:45 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Saw the thread title and all that came to mind was 'who the hell is Thomas Dang'. DST, I don't really care if it's here or not, minor annoyance to change some clocks, that's about it.

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:47 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That basically sums it up for you

Hate to call you out for it, this is one of the rare items where both NDP and Progressive Conservatives are calling for the same thing, especially rural Albertans.

If people start diving into policies instead of just party labels, our political system won't be as radicalized.

Originally posted by FraserB
Wasn't there an article a while back that showed that DST results on more power usage?

If you want to dump it for that reason, then I can kind of agree with it. But that's probably the only reason

TLDR on that PHD's study:

- Albertans tends to raise and go to work early.
- Alberta tends to get sun rise at later in the day.

Those 2 combined is cause of extra energy used.

On top of that, a Colorado study concluded that the Monday after spring forward will have 17% increase in fatal traffic deaths as many are fight with 1hr less of sleep.

The big fight is do we stick with MST or MDT if we are leaving the clock alone. And consider how much it cost the IT industry last time Bush Jr screw with the clock, how much would this cost businesses in this front.

Last edited by Xtrema on 03-12-2017 at 05:56 PM

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:48 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

We don't have it, it's great!

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Old Post 03-12-2017 05:52 PM
JRSC00LUDE is online now Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

I guess I'm one of the weird ones. I love it. I look forward to it at each turn.

I like it in the fall as the turning back makes it light when I wake up, as the days are getting shorter and darker. Plus getting that extra hour Saturday night to watch movies or party is a nice mental boost.

I especially love the spring time change as it seems to be a significant factor in those "longer days", meaning summer and camping is just around the corner.

I would be majorly bummed to lose it. Have lived with it for over 50 years and have no problems whatsoever adjusting to it immediately. For the life of me I can't understand people who can't figure it out and try to blame grogginess, car accidents, loss of workplace production, etc, on such a simple concept.

And with almost every timepiece and alarm system we use being based on computers or smart phones, there's hardly anything to adjust. (The stove and microwave?)

I've had this weekend highlighted as something to look forward to for weeks now.

Last edited by C_Dave45 on 03-12-2017 at 06:13 PM

Old Post 03-12-2017 06:09 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Click here to Send C_Dave45 a Private Message Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebane
First Gear

What I drive: 1996 Integra SE
Posts/Day: 0.58
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I guess I'm one of the weird ones. I love it. I look forward to it at each turn.

I like it in the fall as the turning back makes it light when I wake up, as the days are getting shorter and darker. Plus getting that extra hour Saturday night to watch movies or party is a nice mental boost.

I especially love the spring time change as it seems to be a significant factor in those "longer days", meaning summer and camping is just around the corner.

I would be majorly bummed to lose it. Have lived with it for over 50 years and have no problems whatsoever adjusting to it immediately. For the life of me I can't understand people who can't figure it out and try to blame grogginess, car accidents, loss of workplace production, etc, on such a simple concept.

And with almost every timepiece and alarm system we use being based on computers or smart phones, there's hardly anything to adjust. (The stove and microwave?)

I've had this weekend highlighted as something to look forward to for weeks now.

The time change in the spring doesn't bother me too much as I have a tendency to be awake earlier but the fall change really throws my bodies internal clock for a loop and the first few days to a week I am really out of sorts.

Old Post 03-12-2017 06:54 PM
firebane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebane Click here to Send firebane a Private Message Find more posts by firebane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
M.alex
FKA: 2EFNFAST

What I drive: Nothing
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

And consider how much it cost the IT industry last time Bush Jr screw with the clock, how much would this cost businesses in this front.

This - just leave it alone. Too much f*king backend work because a bunch of pansies can't adjust to 1hr less sleep immediately.

Old Post 03-12-2017 08:14 PM
M.alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M.alex Click here to Send M.alex a Private Message Find more posts by M.alex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kertejud2

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Some fun info on DST

Last edited by kertejud2 on 03-12-2017 at 08:59 PM

Old Post 03-12-2017 08:18 PM
kertejud2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kertejud2 Click here to Send kertejud2 a Private Message Find more posts by kertejud2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
User Rating: 97%

quote:

^ There's nothing on that video

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 03-12-2017 08:24 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

The big fight is do we stick with MST or MDT if we are leaving the clock alone.

I'm ok with keeping it, or getting rid of it, but IMO if it's the latter it needs to be MST, just so we don't have a 2 hour time difference with BC for 1/2 the year.

Old Post 03-12-2017 08:53 PM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

48 states, 9 provinces, and 3 territories observe daylight savings time. The remaining 2 states and 1 province clock block.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 03-12-2017 10:03 PM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Its dumb, and there is no reason for it.

Old Post 03-13-2017 01:04 AM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

If you work for any international company and have to deal with non local customers, not following along with the majority is a pain in the ass. India doesn't have DST so our shifts in that office changes anyways to accommodate DST which makes it more troublesome. Managing meetings with customers are a bitch because you have to deal with their timezone and DST when booking and it makes it non intuitive when trying to find a slot on each other's calendars.

We have a vendor that we deal with in AZ and he always fucks up our meeting times because of DST.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 03-13-2017 01:52 AM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Escape

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

I think many would appreciate an extra hour of sunlight in the winter evenings.

4:30pm darkness sucks

Stick to MDT/CST all year!

Old Post 03-13-2017 02:13 AM
Escape is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Escape Click here to Send Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acedia

What I drive: '16 Golf TSI
Posts/Day: 0.07

quote:

I love it. Allows me to get some pretty late evening golf in during the summer.

Old Post 03-13-2017 02:29 AM
acedia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for acedia Click here to Send acedia a Private Message Find more posts by acedia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.93

quote:

I think I'd rather not have a shift. It doesn't take long to adjust, but still annoying. In the winter I'd rather have sunlight longer into the evening.

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 03-13-2017 02:33 AM
NoPulp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.54

quote:

Today is the first day of "spring". Okay, not really, but when it's 7:30 PM and there's still some sunlight I feel like winter is mostly behind us and that makes me happy. Getting rid of DST feels like I'm slipping further back in to the archaic times of my youth in Saskatchewan when the NDP ruled and everyone was broke. Not interested in any more of that.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 03-13-2017 02:39 AM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Dang's Saving Time yo!

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Old Post 03-13-2017 02:54 AM
JRSC00LUDE is online now Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:59 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Thomas Dang wants to eliminate DST

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: