Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > WiFi at the lake

Author
Thread
Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

WiFi at the lake quote:

My parents have a nice place at the lake. They only have the Telus LTE modem/internet. But the range barely makes it out of the cabin. Would be nice to have WiFi on the shore when we are fishing, or in the boat.

Is there a powered outdoor antena or something tha could extend the wifi range to about a quarter mile? I dont know anything about this stuff. Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-2017 07:09 AM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

G-ZUS
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Blue boy
Posts/Day: 1.22
Trader Rating: (124)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

What for? Enjoy the outdoors

Old Post 03-14-2017 02:51 PM
G-ZUS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G-ZUS Click here to Send G-ZUS a Private Message Find more posts by G-ZUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Old Post 03-14-2017 03:21 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.30
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Not sure if there are any outdoor rated ones, but here is a good place to start:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/WirelessExtenders

Old Post 03-14-2017 03:38 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

https://www.amazon.ca/Amped-Wireles...l/dp/B004WPUHXO

This would be what you want. It's directional so you'd have to mount it towards the lake. 1.5 mile rating.

Old Post 03-14-2017 03:50 PM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by G-ZUS
What for? Enjoy the outdoors

That's my favorite part of going to Peachland, no wifi at my mom's place.

Old Post 03-14-2017 05:04 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Even a basic WAP directly connected to it would make a big difference in power (but not speed).

For the naysayers - streaming quiet music at the lake cabin is nice

Old Post 03-14-2017 05:05 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...=0ED-000E-00043

Old Post 03-14-2017 05:11 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

If they are just using the standard Telus Modem/Router/WAP all in one then any upgrade would be an improvement.

There are a couple other threads on beyond about wireless networking you might want to check out. Also smallnetbuilder.com does decent reviews if you want to get right into it.

Old Post 03-14-2017 05:48 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

It's nice to be disconnected for a while, but it's also nice to be able to bust out an hour of work from the deck instead of having to drive into town to sit in a cafe.

Spent several weeks last summer in places without internet, and while running my own business, found it caused some stress at times. Actually spent a morning in a nearby A&W when something needed to get sent out. That's not terribly relaxing.

Old Post 03-14-2017 06:30 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by jacky4566
If they are just using the standard Telus Modem/Router/WAP all in one then any upgrade would be an improvement.

There are a couple other threads on beyond about wireless networking you might want to check out. Also smallnetbuilder.com does decent reviews if you want to get right into it.

Apparently this thing caries a SIM card and is locked to the unit.

But that directional antenna above looks great for really cheap.

Old Post 03-14-2017 06:30 PM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

double post

Last edited by Thaco on 03-14-2017 at 06:45 PM

Old Post 03-14-2017 06:35 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Originally posted by Gestalt

Apparently this thing caries a SIM card and is locked to the unit.

But that directional antenna above looks great for really cheap.

most routers can be configured as a repeater so you can use a normal router with it, it'll just grab the signal form the device and re-broadcast it.

I personally use a USB rocket stick and this
https://cradlepoint.com/support/cradlepoint-mbr1000

Old Post 03-14-2017 06:44 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:00 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > WiFi at the lake

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: