Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Tips for car rental savings?

Author
Thread
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

Tips for car rental savings? quote:

Does anyone have any good tips on getting reduced car rental rates? Looking at a week in San Diego in May. Really bummed that Car2Go shut down their San Diego operations. So I'm forced to rent a car for the entire trip, PLUS pay $50+ a day for parking at the place we're staying.
Typical searches come up with around $260 for 8 days.
What seems strange is that if I rent for 4 days it's only $20-some bucks per day. If I do 8, then it jumps up to $30-some bucks per day.
I would think a week's rental would be a bit of a savings over a smaller block.
Any tips from the world travelers?

Last edited by C_Dave45 on 03-18-2017 at 07:16 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-2017 07:07 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Maxx Mazda
First Gear

What I drive: Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Try rentalcars.com

Old Post 03-18-2017 07:16 PM
Maxx Mazda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxx Mazda Click here to Send Maxx Mazda a Private Message Find more posts by Maxx Mazda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Have you looked into Turo? (Waiting on a good opportunity to try myself too)

Old Post 03-18-2017 07:22 PM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Try rentalcars.com

Hmm...

Rentalcars.com = Economy car Total Price: CAD368

Turo: Interesting. I'm in favour of the private sector rental idea....just not much of a savings. Cheapest prices for a decent car is $20+ per day, but it's USD. So almost the same cost as what I found at Expedia. ($260 CAD all in) And expedia is easy pick up and drop off. Airport terminal.

Old Post 03-18-2017 07:37 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

From my experience, booking through Expedia has been the cheapest.
Priceline can be good too but for convenience, peace of mind I book through Expedia.
Pick the cheapest and pay upfront.

I thought about trying Turo but sometimes there are hidden fees (cleaning, pick-up, drop off, etc) that it was actually cheaper going through Expedia.

Old Post 03-18-2017 08:20 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45
Typical searches come up with around $260 for 8 days.
What seems strange is that if I rent for 4 days it's only $20-some bucks per day. If I do 8, then it jumps up to $30-some bucks per day.
I would think a week's rental would be a bit of a savings over a smaller block.
Any tips from the world travelers?

Maybe you just need to inconvenience yourself and make 2 x 4 day rentals...

Old Post 03-18-2017 08:23 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FixedGear
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Just continue being your dickface self and profit.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Nope, their just idiots who took themselves out of the gene pool.

Old Post 03-18-2017 08:40 PM
FixedGear is online now Click Here to See the Profile for FixedGear Click here to Send FixedGear a Private Message Find more posts by FixedGear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by FixedGear
Just continue being your dickface self and profit.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 03-18-2017 08:42 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infiniti.

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

If you have a Costco card try booking through Costcos website. Pretty good savings even when compared to Expedia etc.

Old Post 03-18-2017 09:11 PM
infiniti. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for infiniti. Click here to Send infiniti. a Private Message Find more posts by infiniti. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Avis has prepaid rentals that have saved me substantially in the past.

Old Post 03-18-2017 10:30 PM
ExtraSlow is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OU812
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)

Re: Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Old Post 03-18-2017 11:43 PM
OU812 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OU812 Click here to Send OU812 a Private Message Find more posts by OU812 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
403ep3
Second Gear

What I drive: TDi
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Costco

Old Post 03-19-2017 12:20 AM
403ep3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 403ep3 Click here to Send 403ep3 a Private Message Find more posts by 403ep3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:

Re: Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Haha...never thought of that. Would that work?
8-12th=$111 12-16th=$111 for a total of $222. The 8-16th= $266. Wonder if I'd have to drive in, sign the paper work, then get out of the vehicle, walk around it and get back in?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Avis has prepaid rentals that have saved me substantially in the past.

Whoa: $525 for pre-paid!!
click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Originally posted by 403ep3
Costco

Never thought of them. I've never rented from them either, but their rate was $329

Old Post 03-19-2017 12:42 AM
D'z Nutz
Super Moderator

What I drive: Southerners out of the North
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (122)
User Rating: 111%

quote:

Maybe it's me, but $30/day in a California city actually seems pretty decent to me though I guess if there are dates they are doing $20/day there's no reason to try and save a couple bucks.

My rate scale is

$20/day = cheap
$30/day = not bad
$40+/day = start shopping around hard

Anyways to get back on topic, have you tried calling the rental agency directly to see if you can get the $20/day rate for the entire duration of the trip? I've heard that works sometimes.

Another way I've saved money is actually to play around with pickup/dropoff locations. I needed to get a car in San Jose one time and the rates at the airport were about ~$40/day at the time but the rates in some of the rental locations in the city dropped all the way down to $20/day. A $3 bus ride to get the car not from an airport rental agency saved me quite a bit of money.

Old Post 03-19-2017 02:26 AM
D'z Nutz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D'z Nutz Click here to Send D'z Nutz a Private Message Visit D'z Nutz's homepage! Find more posts by D'z Nutz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)

Re: Re: Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

8-12th=$111 12-16th=$111 for a total of $222. The 8-16th= $266. Wonder if I'd have to drive in, sign the paper work, then get out of the vehicle, walk around it and get back in?

I'd pick up a different car on the basis of them inconveniencing you on the pricing.

Old Post 03-19-2017 03:00 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)

Re: Re: Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

another question is is it worth the hassle of driving back to the airport to drop off the rental and picking another one up to save $50?
if you're not that far from the SD airport and have the time, then go for it.

Whoa: $525 for pre-paid!!
click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Never thought of them. I've never rented from them either, but their rate was $329

Old Post 03-19-2017 04:35 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips for car rental savings? quote:

Originally posted by taemo
another question is is it worth the hassle of driving back to the airport to drop off the rental and picking another one up to save $50?
if you're not that far from the SD airport and have the time, then go for it.

Yeah, to me personally it's not. I think I'll just take D'z advice and call them, see if they can match their own price of two 4-day rentals. Seems like more of a computer algorithm error than anything else. Two separate rentals, two sets of paperwork, inconveniencing both their desk staff as well as the customer....cheaper than one 8 day rental?

I just thought that my very first search on Expedia came up with a price, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some secret tip on getting a great price.

I really miss their Car2Go though. We used that last time we were there and it was the perfect solution. Needed to just get somewhere, but not the use of a car for all day? Pick one up and leave it there. When coming back home, just grab another one. It was ideal. Plus they were electric!!!

Old Post 03-19-2017 06:23 PM
outsider

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Dave,

I rented with easycar.com for our trip coming up to Palm Springs. It's a european site, but they do rent in America. I have a mini van rented for a total of 208.77 euros = 352.42 CAD

This price even beat Costco pricing. The only thing was, when I went to the website myself I got high costs. But when I used a link from a family member I got the cheaper rates. So if you want I can forward a link to you? just let me know.

Old Post 03-20-2017 03:08 PM
outsider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for outsider Click here to Send outsider a Private Message Find more posts by outsider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

^Wow that's a great price for a mini van.
Sure, pm me the link and I'll check it out.
Thank you!!

Old Post 03-20-2017 03:31 PM
Kloubek
Fourth Gear

What I drive: A vehicle or two
Posts/Day: 1.14
Trader Rating: (35)

quote:

As a side note to getting a better rate, make sure you don't pay for extra insurance or anything like that if your credit card covers you, as many do.

Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

Old Post 03-20-2017 03:32 PM
Kloubek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kloubek Click here to Send Kloubek a Private Message Find more posts by Kloubek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:55 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > Tips for car rental savings?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: