Quantcast
Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit?

My Ride
    rally pig

Default Driving in Europe, do I need International Driving Permit?

We'll be heading to Europe in May and I'm planning to drive in Italy and Croatia.

Can anyone confirm whether an IDP is required or recommended to rent and drive a vehicle there?

From what my dad told me, he just rented a car when they went to Italy a few years ago and he no longer owns an IDP.

I called AMA and they said that in Croatia, it is recommended to have one but not required.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

When I travelled in 2016 they never requested it. They just wanted credit card and Canadian drivers licence. Kind of weird because the rental agreement said I needed one so got it just in case. I think for the $30 its better safe than sorry.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    When I travelled in 2016 they never requested it. They just wanted credit card and Canadian drivers licence. Kind of weird because the rental agreement said I needed one so got it just in case. I think for the $30 its better safe than sorry.
    which country did you go to?
    I might apply one for piece of mind

My Ride
    Treg/B7

France and Germany, to me its mostly a money grab as it is just a booklet with translations into like 12 languages. Most younger people in Europe speak English. My worry was more trouble from police if pulled over.
    Last edited by Rarasaurus; 03-22-2017 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    France and Germany, to me its mostly a money grab as it is just a booklet with translations into like 12 languages. Most younger people in Europe speak English. My worry was more trouble from police if pulled over.
    yeah that's the risk I'm more concerned about, if you get pulled over and the cops doesn't believe that your driver license is not legit, then you might get in trouble

We got one for Italy, but didn't end up ever needing it nor were we ever asked for it. It's only like $15 or so to get, I would get it just in case.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Rented many a time and never had an issue with my CAD license. Had a few tickets too :P Tickets were in Germany, Austria. Drove many km through Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, France, Netherlands.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    g2 teg

from the research I did - they will rarely ask for one - unless you have a problem / accident. then you can get into hot water.

I just got one myself. was easier for piece of mind.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Driven through Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia for the last few years, always had one with me and only needed it once when I got pulled over in Croatia. I would get one just to be safe, 25.00 is nothing compared to the headache you could encounter not having one. Safe travels!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    Bicycle

CAD license is fine.

Don't trust your GPS tho, may be Google maps is better. Garmin sent me to fucking pedestrian only streets in Prague in old town, it wasn't fun.

My Ride
    Eclipse

YES

The rental companies wont say you do but if you get in an accident without it your pretty screwed.. Trust me..

Was Driving in Poland and got in an accident.... (not my fault) - The police never asked for me international drivers license but then 2-3 weeks later insurance called and said they won't cover the damages because I don't have an international drivers License..

I got super lucky and actually had one and sent it to them..

Got a speeding ticket in Croatia driving from Dubrovnik to Split and the Police officer asked for my international drivers license, but when I got a ticket in Poland they had no idea about it..

Costs about $22 at AMA and it's valid for 1 year, (you can't renew while in Europe and it starts the day you go you cant ask for it from the date of your trip)

I always thought it was a scam too but for $22 I decided to just buy it since I knew I was going to be driving around Europe a lot.

With that said always remember to get the toll passes (They are like 10-15EUR) for a week cause there is some pretty big fines or you can be towed if you do not have one...

I've drove from Poland to Montenegro and a few other countries in Europe around there as well not on the way.

Get it just in case you get in an accident, you can rent a car/get a ticket or whatever without it and you will be fine though.

Also carry some cash on you while driving in case you get a ticket or the Police will make you go to a bank to pay the fine..

EDIT: Also got a ticket in Warsaw becuase of my GPS where it told me to turn left and Police were just waiting (Guess no left turn) I ended up having to translate my CAD license to the cop so he would write up my ticket for me.. Lucky I spoke English and Polish but should of pretended I didn't speak it..
    Last edited by Kobe; 03-23-2017 at 01:47 AM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Xtrema
    CAD license is fine.

Don't trust your GPS tho, may be Google maps is better. Garmin sent me to fucking pedestrian only streets in Prague in old town, it wasn't fun.
    I know nothing about driving in Europe but the rental car agency in Taiwan asked for my International Driving Permit.

On this topic of GPS, I would rent a local GPS unit over using google maps. In Taiwan, many of the lanes going through intersections did not line up straight, and google maps continuously told me to change lanes when not necessary. Also the rental GPS unit told me where all the fixed speed cameras were

My Ride
    rally pig

sounds like the consensus is CAD driver license in Europe is more than enough, I might just get the IDP for peace of mind for only $35 (permit and passport photo)

I'll be driving only from Split to Plitvice, Naples to Pompeii and Sorrento and Milan to Como.
    Thinking of just using Google Maps as these are relatively short drives but otherwise I might preload my Garmin GPS with Europe map.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

I used an app called NavFree. It is easy, worked and lets you download maps so no data use.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Xtrema
    You know there are road signs, right? You sound like the kinda guy that would drive into a lake.

We use Google maps every time we travel in Europe and have rarely had an issue.