Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > New garage construction

Author
Thread
SmAcKpOo
First Gear

What I drive: '03 ep3
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

New garage construction quote:

Anyone have experience with garage builders in the city?

Can someone guess as to what a standard 24x24 garage would cost in the current market.

I have reached out to a couple companies in Calgary but they all want to come on site and do an assessment but my timeline for the build is late summer/early fall and I don't want to waste their time for something that may or may not happen at all.

If anyone has experience with a builder, can you tell me how it went? cost, service, quality, etc.

Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:36 PM
SmAcKpOo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmAcKpOo Click here to Send SmAcKpOo a Private Message Find more posts by SmAcKpOo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jeffh
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

My neighbour had a 24x24 built last year. The contractor stapled a an ad to the corner of the garage that read "this can be yours for 19k.

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:02 PM
jeffh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffh Click here to Send jeffh a Private Message Find more posts by jeffh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rarasaurus
Neutral

What I drive: Treg/B7
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Very basic 18g - 20g.
Add concrete curb walls, 2x6 walls, insulation, drywall, heater, additional electrical etc can add 10g+.

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:08 PM
Rarasaurus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rarasaurus Click here to Send Rarasaurus a Private Message Find more posts by Rarasaurus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave P
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Built Last Summer

Attachment: garage.jpg

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:12 PM
Dave P is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave P Click here to Send Dave P a Private Message Find more posts by Dave P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (68)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Raintree Contracting has a garage package that should fit the bill for around $22k, though I'm sure you could work on the price.

If you're interested in going that route, PM me and I'll get in touch with Kyle (owner) and let him know you're going to be reach out soon

Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. SEO & Marketing Solutions by SimplifiedSEO.com

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:04 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)

quote:

No comments on the construction but about the size:
Go 26 wide if you can. We squeezed 3 cars into my parents' even with shelving along one side

Last edited by jwslam on 03-23-2017 at 06:18 PM

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:16 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

Photo

Attachment: 2011-11-06 20.06.04 - copy.jpg

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:18 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave P
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.27

quote:

26 would be nice.

I was told if its over 24, you have to get engineered blue prints for the pad, and thats like another 5-10g? Dont know if its true or not

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:48 PM
Dave P is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave P Click here to Send Dave P a Private Message Find more posts by Dave P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rarasaurus
Neutral

quote:

It is true.

Two-storey garages and garages constructed with masonry veneer or concrete must have foundation walls and footings 1.2 m (minimum) below grade around the perimeter, OR the design of the foundation must be signed and sealed by an engineer licensed to practise in the province of Alberta. It is recommended that garages over 55 m2 (approximately 592 ft2) in building area meet these same requirements. That is anything over 24x24 essentially.

Anything over 800 requires development permit + building permit. That is > 28x28.

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:54 PM
Rarasaurus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rarasaurus Click here to Send Rarasaurus a Private Message Find more posts by Rarasaurus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prelude_dude
Neutral

What I drive: 2009 Acura TSX tech
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Random side thought.

I had my garage built by the builder; and I never got it dry walled. There is probably like 50 nails sticking through the plywood in between the studs; is this normal? The nails are sticking out by probably 1-1.5 inches and just completely exposed.

I haven't gotten around to clipping them yet; but just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

Old Post 03-27-2017 07:31 PM
Prelude_dude is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prelude_dude Click here to Send Prelude_dude a Private Message Find more posts by Prelude_dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rarasaurus
Neutral

quote:

I would not clip them. Those are the nails holding on your siding. It is normal.

Old Post 03-27-2017 07:35 PM
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

Yea I think it's standard to just bend the nails rather than clip them.

Old Post 03-27-2017 08:02 PM
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
User Rating: 100%

quote:

i don't think i'd even bother bending them down. I'd just throw some insulation over it, vapour barrier it and call it a day. drywall if you really want it.

Old Post 03-27-2017 09:46 PM
SOAB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SOAB Click here to Send SOAB a Private Message Find more posts by SOAB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
Yea I think it's standard to just bend the nails rather than clip them.

Do NOT do this!!!
By doing that you will pull the nail head in tight against the nailing track of the vinyl siding. That will prevent the vinyl from moving when it expands/contracts with changing temperatures. If you've ever seen a siding job where the vinyl is all rippling it's because of improper install and the nails were driven in tight. The siding is supposed to be able to slide back and forth a little.
Just leave them. Put your insulation in and VB like SOAB suggests.

Old Post 03-27-2017 10:07 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JfuckinC
Second Gear

What I drive: CRF450R, Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Anyone have standard package prices for just material? I can only find them for Windsor plywood online.

Going to build my own this summer hopefully if work keeps busy enough to fund it. Fingers crossed... (sorry for the hijack )

Old Post 03-27-2017 10:11 PM
JfuckinC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JfuckinC Click here to Send JfuckinC a Private Message Find more posts by JfuckinC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Do NOT do this!!!

Today i learned...

Thanks

Old Post 03-27-2017 10:15 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by JfuckinC
Anyone have standard package prices for just material? I can only find them for Windsor plywood online.

Going to build my own this summer hopefully if work keeps busy enough to fund it. Fingers crossed... (sorry for the hijack )

Go to one of the former Totem, now Rona locations. They do garage packages all the time.

Old Post 03-27-2017 10:19 PM
ExtraSlow is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
90_Shelby
First Gear

What I drive: Volvo, V-Wagon
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Originally posted by Dave P
26 would be nice.

I was told if its over 24, you have to get engineered blue prints for the pad, and thats like another 5-10g? Dont know if its true or not

I built a 40' x 20'. No engineered blueprints required.

Old Post 03-28-2017 02:23 AM
90_Shelby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 90_Shelby Click here to Send 90_Shelby a Private Message Find more posts by 90_Shelby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomespunLobster
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Built my own garage, had pad poured by a concrete company.

24x24, 10 ft walls, 2x4 walls (I should have just went with 2x6, to late now), insulated, OSB sheeted and painted white walls (So they don't fall apart whenever I smash things into the wall) electric (220V 60AMP), retarded amount of electrical plugs and lighting, gas heater, epoxied floors, Just under $20,000.

The only thing I didn't do myself was concrete, electrical and gas line. Dug the trenches myself though.

Old Post 03-28-2017 07:58 PM
HomespunLobster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HomespunLobster Click here to Send HomespunLobster a Private Message Find more posts by HomespunLobster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prelude_dude
Neutral

What I drive: 2009 Acura TSX tech
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Do NOT do this!!!
By doing that you will pull the nail head in tight against the nailing track of the vinyl siding. That will prevent the vinyl from moving when it expands/contracts with changing temperatures. If you've ever seen a siding job where the vinyl is all rippling it's because of improper install and the nails were driven in tight. The siding is supposed to be able to slide back and forth a little.
Just leave them. Put your insulation in and VB like SOAB suggests.

At this point right now i am probably going to do insulation and VB.... is it bad to cut it down half way? I just want to get rid of the pointy end if anything.

Old Post 03-28-2017 08:11 PM
Prelude_dude is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prelude_dude Click here to Send Prelude_dude a Private Message Find more posts by Prelude_dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:56 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > New garage construction

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: