Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Dryland snowboard/ski training

Author
Thread
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Dryland snowboard/ski training quote:

Season is coming to a close pretty quick here. Got into it (snowboarding) again a little late in the season (end of December) but managed to get out 26 times.

Still feeling the itch so I really want to focus this summer on related dryland training.

My main plans so far are
- take up skateboarding again
- regular strength training, especially legs as I want to retain my muscle mass
- take some sort of gymnastics to improve my park riding

I think a major problem with my park riding has been my poor ability to control my body. I am planning to try out the 18+ gymnastics at the Calgary gymnastics center

http://www.calgarygymcentre.com/pro...adultgym18.html

Anyone have any other ideas for training, specifically training for park riding but any ideas for offseason training would be good to hear.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-2017 06:55 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Other board sports is a good idea... wakeboarding/skate/surf... real surfing is a ridiculous workout if you find yourself near an ocean this summer

Balance board (indo, etc) is great for those little stabilizers that you never use in day to day life

I actually use my travel roller (it's a hard hollow plastic tube with the stiff 'black' foam) with a skate deck on it, I find this works even better cause you have to balance in all directions vs just left and right thanks to the foam and concave on the board

Trampoline and diving is great for body control too for park

Old Post 03-24-2017 07:11 AM
ercchry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

I think this would really depend on what you're trying to work on... I mean if you want to do inverts then probably pool time is better than anything else. Rail tricks that's skating since they are "faiirly" similar. Otherwise yeah summer training for snowboarding is sorta shitty we just don't really have the facilities for it... If you're balling you can always go and do some summer boarding on the glacier at whistler. The best would be some kind of fridge setup like the UK or dry slopes with foam pits/water pits sadly we have neither in Calgary.

Old Post 03-26-2017 07:09 AM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

That's for the suggestions guys. Picked up a cheap longboard today and when riding for an hour, so much fun.

Going to hit Nakiska Friday and maybe Louise on the weekend to try to catch the last bit of decent snow.

Going to ride COP tomorrow and then try their 18+ gymnastics Tuesday to see if I like it.

Old Post 03-27-2017 01:03 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
That's for the suggestions guys. Picked up a cheap longboard today and when riding for an hour, so much fun.

Going to hit Nakiska Friday and maybe Louise on the weekend to try to catch the last bit of decent snow.

Going to ride COP tomorrow and then try their 18+ gymnastics Tuesday to see if I like it.

Let me know how the gymnastic stuff turns out always been curious about the center there.

I wouldn't call the season just yet. Sunshine is pretty good for riding all the way till end of April. They've got the elevation so things stay nice and firm. Usually best snow conditions of the yeah and the parks finally fully up Usually the only issue is getting motivated to go with the nice weather and finding people who are still game to go along...

Old Post 03-27-2017 05:12 AM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

will let you know about the gymnastics.

Yea the season isn't over quite yet just not having COP as an option pretty soon is going to suck. Last time I checked they had extended their season to April 9 but I have no idea how they are going to make that with this hot weather. Last Wednesday they were right down to the grass in areas.

Old Post 03-27-2017 01:32 PM
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

Pretty sad that skii/snowbaord season is almost over as well, will be doing Lake Louise or Sunshine one more time and then maybe keep my eyes open for a good dump up in the mountains mid April.

My summer activity is bike commute, leg exercises at the gym and hiking but I'm not a park rider.
Been thinking of buying a longboard for a while now to get the itch over the summer. Would you guys recommend a 41" or 44" for starter?

something like these?
https://www.amazon.ca/Ten-Toes-Boar...d/dp/B01L6V7J1E
https://www.amazon.ca/Atom-Drop-Dec...h/dp/B0056IXSEQ

Old Post 03-27-2017 03:00 PM
taemo is online now Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
Yea the season isn't over quite yet just not having COP as an option pretty soon is going to suck. Last time I checked they had extended their season to April 9 but I have no idea how they are going to make that with this hot weather. Last Wednesday they were right down to the grass in areas.

Yeah I've stopped going it's just too warm and last time I ended up there was after it rained. Did 3 runs called it because it was just stupidly icy and I have pretty much no edges on my park deck.

Originally posted by taemo
Would you guys recommend a 41" or 44" for starter?

something like these?
https://www.amazon.ca/Ten-Toes-Boar...d/dp/B01L6V7J1E
https://www.amazon.ca/Atom-Drop-Dec...h/dp/B0056IXSEQ

Really depends on what you're looking to do... The first board is more for bombing down hills while the second is more aimed at just cruising about. Price wise those are quite reasonable. Some people have wheels that are worth almost as much as that second setup. No idea about the quality of the trucks/bearings on either of those boards though.

If you're bored and want to dive into lots of details:

http://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-bu...eck-shape-style

Personally I like drop through's which look something like this:

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Last edited by mazdavirgin on 03-27-2017 at 04:40 PM

Old Post 03-27-2017 04:36 PM
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I like how this has turned into a longboard suggestion thread. Keep em coming. Looking to get one for me and the GF to cruise around DT paths this summer! (both beginners)

Old Post 03-27-2017 04:57 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by riander5
I like how this has turned into a longboard suggestion thread. Keep em coming. Looking to get one for me and the GF to cruise around DT paths this summer! (both beginners)

Haha yea keep it coming!

I just bought a cheapo sims "longboard" from sportchek. Not going to last long I bet but for $80 it was worth it.

Great for walking the dog, took her out for an hour yesterday and she pulled me around. A lot safer feeling than when I did the same on rollerblades as I can easily stop. Rode down a few hills without the dog later in the evening. I used to think longboarding was kind of silly but I can definitely see the appeal.

Old Post 03-27-2017 06:56 PM
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Too tired to hit COP so I went for a long board with the dog.

My conclusion so far is:

longboarding with a dog = awesome
longboarding without a dog = sucky, too much work

Old Post 03-28-2017 02:47 AM
silvercivicsir
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

interested in the adult gymnastics... I wanna become a better rider.. Could you Please let me know how it goes?

Old Post 03-31-2017 08:09 PM
silvercivicsir is offline Click Here to See the Profile for silvercivicsir Click here to Send silvercivicsir a Private Message Find more posts by silvercivicsir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickDaTuner
Third Gear

What I drive: 05 GDB V.8 / 2014 TACO / SW20/ R1
Posts/Day: 0.59
Trader Rating: (29)

quote:

Lots of wall squats, and skate boarding!

There a few companies that sell Jib trainers too, which use your own board or one they provide.

I was looking into this as well, it feels like it took so long to build my mountain riding endurance this year, id hate to loose all this summer now that I'll be moving more into power sport activities.

Old Post 03-31-2017 09:00 PM
RickDaTuner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RickDaTuner Click here to Send RickDaTuner a Private Message Find more posts by RickDaTuner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
asp integra
Second Gear

What I drive: A4 Avant 6MT
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Louise park is awesome right now, they are open till early May. Shines park looks good in pics but have no skied there this year yet. They are open till May long.

Riding bike in the summer road/mountain is good for the legs.

Getting out to those tramp nights is fun, you can learn some better air sense, but its alot different than riding off jumps in a park as you are only bouncing up and down vs riding at speed and jumping.

current ski quiver:
park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Old Post 03-31-2017 09:56 PM
asp integra is online now Click Here to See the Profile for asp integra Click here to Send asp integra a Private Message Find more posts by asp integra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:48 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Dryland snowboard/ski training

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: