Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Own a piece of Holy Smoke

Author
Thread
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

Own a piece of Holy Smoke quote:

Not sure to put this in the food thread or real estate... Anyone looked into owning a piece of a Cgy restaurant?

Beyond restaurant ballers, time to hedge your family food chain enterprise.

https://investinholysmoke.com/

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:09 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Holy smoke that's a good website.

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 03-29-2017 08:07 AM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

I enjoy holy smoke, visit reasonably often.

Wonder how they decided on the valuation? Does it just coast half a million to start up a restaurant like that? Are they assuming a certain amount of future profit? Are the investors on the hook for losses?

Old Post 03-29-2017 02:25 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I can get discount at midnapore? pass

Old Post 03-29-2017 02:36 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R-Audi
Second Gear

What I drive: GX470
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Looks like it is going in where Little Caesars was/is..

Id expect at least $250-350k for buildout/smoker/fridge etc... depending on what remains from LC that is usable... I havent been to that location so its tough to say. They would likely also have a deposit and ~6-12 months rent budgeted in there. Id guess that there is some 'profit' or franchise fee built in for the original owners... or perhaps they get a bit of a free ride as its their business name/rep/recipe.

Old Post 03-29-2017 03:08 PM
R-Audi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R-Audi Click here to Send R-Audi a Private Message Find more posts by R-Audi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by R-Audi
Looks like it is going in where Little Caesars was/is..

Id expect at least $250-350k for buildout/smoker/fridge etc... depending on what remains from LC that is usable... I havent been to that location so its tough to say. They would likely also have a deposit and ~6-12 months rent budgeted in there. Id guess that there is some 'profit' or franchise fee built in for the original owners... or perhaps they get a bit of a free ride as its their business name/rep/recipe.

Yeah, seems like there isn't enough in there for much operating costs for the first little bit, and also probably not enough for any profit going back to the Franchise owners.

Old Post 03-29-2017 03:24 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

I spend $1,500 on much dumber sh*t. This is a good deal if I lived closer to Midnapore and could actually make use of the discount card.

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:15 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Shareholders will never see dividends, they'll run it at a loss forever... any actual profits will be paid out to HS in the form of inflated salaries and retaining a majority there will be nothing these 250 "owners" can do about it

Not to mention their BBQ has been pure shit since about a year into the original location

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:31 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
I spend $1,500 on much dumber sh*t. This is a good deal if I lived closer to Midnapore and could actually make use of the discount card.

Yeah, i guess if you got $1000 or $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, the novelty of this idea is kinda fun...

But looking at the business side of it, potentially, if all "investors" got the $1500 package, they get 15% off, so to realize their return, they would have to spend $10,000 there to get their return on their $1500 investment.

Second part of it is, this initial investment. are there dividends on it? how does one of these people cash out? their valuation of the company is $750,000 as rough maximum...being as all 250 "investors" will be minority share holders, they have no influence over business direction.

I don't think it's a good deal, one way or the other with the information I saw. However, it might be a good way to impress some random chick you take there for a date, it might get you past second base.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:40 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

It says right on the page that there is dividends?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:48 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R-Audi
Second Gear

What I drive: GX470
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

I think they would be better off doing something like the Village Brewery... larger chunk of cash to become a 'Baron' but you get a few cases of beer a month (or whatever it is) for as long as you own your stock. A 10-15% discount is kinda shitty depending on the dividends.

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:51 PM
R-Audi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R-Audi Click here to Send R-Audi a Private Message Find more posts by R-Audi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Surplus cash flow*

It's easy to make surplus cash flow disappear in a restaurant. You will end up seeing owner hiring cousins to clean windows for $10K and such.

Last edited by Xtrema on 03-29-2017 at 05:01 PM

Old Post 03-29-2017 04:57 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

There could be dividends, but none are guaranteed, and no rate of return is discussed (or expected probably).

Seems like this would be a "fun" investment, but not a real profitable one.

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:00 PM
spikerS
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

*surplus cash flow...

How exactly is "surplus" figured out?

Like I said, a novelty for sure if you have an extra $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, but, that's it.

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:06 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

hard to invest on something like this without seeing their financial performance

if they can prove that they can operate at a profit and pay dividend continuously on a monthly or quarterly basis, why not.

but then it seems like you'll always be locked at 1% or 1.5% so not really worth it in either other than bragging rights if you can go there frequently.

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:19 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Haha. Bit of a joke if you ask me. Can imagine they have pretty tight margins and with a $1500 max investment, your going to see what, like $50 in dividends a year?

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:23 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

Some of you suck at math... they're raising $250k, they want 250 people to own 50% (let's be honest, 49.9%)

Evaluation is $500k (if they're renting the building this is inflated by about 5-10x based on what turnkey restaurants sell for)

Capping investment at $1500 means each person will own 0.2-0.3% of the business

Like I already stated before they will NEVER pay a dividend... if they actually were looking for proper investors they would of approached the kind who fund these sorts of deals, this is just crowdfunding dressed up as an investment to give suckers the warm and fuzzies. If they wanted funding they could of even got a business loan, probably would of only had to come up with $125k to get $500k total

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:29 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

I bet what really gets them hard about this concept is the "250 built in customers" markup on food is in the 3-4x range... what's 10-15% off when you just guaranteed a customer base for years to come?

I hope I ends up being a shift in customer base instead of an expansion

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:37 PM
spikerS
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
Some of you suck at math... they're raising $250k, they want 250 people to own 50% (let's be honest, 49.9%)

But if they have 250 people wanting the $1500 package, that valuation becomes $750k, not $500k...

*edit* just saw where they actually put a $250k amount they want to raise. so $500/share, and you can buy a max of 3 shares kinda thing.

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:48 PM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
would of

Failing grade 6 grammar, your argument is invalid.

Old Post 03-29-2017 05:53 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:32 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Own a piece of Holy Smoke

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: