Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

Where is the line for you with KMs on the ODO to buy a used car?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
anything with factory / extended warranty 2 1.57%
<60,000kms 13 10.24%
100,000kms 31 24.41%
150,000kms 34 26.77%
200,000kms 21 16.54%
250,000kms 9 7.09%
300,000kms 5 3.94%
>300,000kms 12 9.45%
Total: 127 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
Thread
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used? quote:

Split off from another thread, had me curious.

So, when buying a used vehicle, many of us use the ODO as a benchmark. Leaving behind documented maintenance as I have only come across someone having that ONCE in all my used purchases, where is your comfort level?

Personally, for me, my comfort line is 160,000kms when buying a used vehicle. Any more than that, and I usually get pretty uncomfortable with the purchase...But I am hearing from many others that their number is WAY higher...

so where is your line?

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2017 09:54 PM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

My line is anything over 100K

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 03-30-2017 09:59 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2Legit2Quit
Neutral

What I drive: AP1
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Depends on the vehicles purpose and price range.

If it's just a winter beater and $1-2000, the sky is the limit for me as long as it runs good.

Once you get into higher dollar amounts and if this is going to be your main vehicle, then it depends on your budget and accepting the year of the vehicle and mileage. Obvoiusly the lower the better but if you're buying a late 2000 model of whatever, the mileage is most likely going to be around 200k.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:00 PM
2Legit2Quit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2Legit2Quit Click here to Send 2Legit2Quit a Private Message Find more posts by 2Legit2Quit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Like stated, for me depends on the kind of vehicle I am getting and the purpose. My own vehicle since I don't keep them for too long, I don't mind something with 30K-40K. The X5M I had picked up was 54K and that's probably the max I'd go for me.

Been looking at A4's or Q5's for the wife and since she's gonna keep it a long time, I am looking at no more than over 20K. So options are fairly limited to mostly brand new ones.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:12 PM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I have a HARD mental block at 100,000 KMS, even for my personal ownership (I.e. I will sell it around that point) and probably would never even look at anything used with more than 30-50K on it. I wouldn't even look at anything near 100,000 KMS because my filters would have removed it from my searches.

There are enough cars out there that I've never had trouble finding a low KM version of what I want for little to no premium. I often find high mileage cars overpriced unless they are very heavily discounted. That's the beauty of the used market, you can get a low mileage, fully optioned version of what you want for not much more than all the high mileage stuff, so the way I see it there is no point at looking at the high mileage stuff unless the discount is enormous.

From a sellers perspective, I'm glad not everyone thinks like me

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:14 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

It depends on the vehicle, use, age of the vehicle and the previous owner.

For example my 2002 Honda is hitting 321,00km and it runs fine. Other then wear and tear, the odd repair (i.e new brakes calipers). Engine itself is fine. I bought it at 212,00km.

When purchasing, looking at the previous owners will gives an insight on how the car was driven and cared for.

I would not bother with American, or German at that mileage though.

I also would be reluctant to buy a automatic transmission at a high mileage (250km) the exception being a Nissan Pathfinder or a Toyota Camry or even a Corolla. At that high mileage its usually about the engine and ease of repairs.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:26 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G-ZUS
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Blue boy
Posts/Day: 1.22
Trader Rating: (124)

quote:

It all depends on the vehicle and price range im getting it at, I'd say 250 to 270 is my limit

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:26 PM
G-ZUS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G-ZUS Click here to Send G-ZUS a Private Message Find more posts by G-ZUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Yea really depends on the vehicle.

ie: when looking at trucks I shy away from gas above 250k but a good Diesel engine like a 7.3 Ford is just getting started at 250k.

I find people that set a limit across the board regardless of make,model,engine don't really know anything about cars and/or don't wrench themselves.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:39 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SKR
First Gear

What I drive: Trucks and junk
Posts/Day: 0.21

quote:

I pretty much only shop for diesel trucks these days, but no mileage by itself is offside. The only thing that I would avoid is 2-4 years old with 120-180,000km. I feel like that's an area where there's a lot of depreciation and I don't want to start there.

I would have no idea how to shop for cars.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:46 PM
SKR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SKR Click here to Send SKR a Private Message Find more posts by SKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mzdspd
Neutral

What I drive: LNF
Posts/Day: 0.18

quote:

I would buy something in good condition with 150-200k but that car would have to be priced under 10k. I do not want to finance something with 150k.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:49 PM
mzdspd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mzdspd Click here to Send mzdspd a Private Message Find more posts by mzdspd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Originally posted by mzdspd
I would buy something in good condition with 150-200k but that car would have to be priced under 10k. I do not want to finance something with 150k.

Financing anything with significant kms sounds like a bad idea. You can't afford it new, can't afford it with 150k on it, maybe you just can't afford it period!

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:56 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLiVE
FKA memystealthandi

What I drive: '11 EB F150, '60 Baja Bug, '12 Crosstour '87 IROC
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Diesels - don't care.

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k. I would buy anywhere below that and keep it until 200k kms.

hmm. just realized my lowest mileage vehicle is my '87 Iroc with 80k on it.

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:57 PM
CLiVE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLiVE Click here to Send CLiVE a Private Message Find more posts by CLiVE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bourge73
First Gear

What I drive: The Planet Car, Expedition, Maxima
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (35)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Originally posted by CLiVE
Diesels - don't care.

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k. I would buy anywhere below that and keep it until 200k kms.

hmm. just realized my lowest mileage vehicle is my '87 Iroc with 80k on it.

U do rock if you rock an Iroc

A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:07 PM
bourge73 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for bourge73 Click here to Send bourge73 a Private Message Find more posts by bourge73 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.92

quote:

Too many factors.

Mostly depends on cost. But also how the previous owner used the car (highway vs city), your usage of car and more.

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:27 PM
NoPulp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinL
First Gear

What I drive: 951S, E46 M3, B8.5 S4, 944S3 race car
Posts/Day: 0.07

quote:

Originally posted by CLiVE

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k.

Many of my cars have 200K+ on them and I don't feel like there's any reason they won't go another 200K. The 944 chumpcar I race has 500K on the tub. On the other end of the spectrum, I just bought an S4 with 50K and had to change a wheel bearing on it right away.

I turn my own wrenches, so that probably changes my perspective. Stuff breaks on all cars, when it does I fix it. If I was paying for someone else to do the work, I might be more inclined to go lower mileage, but even still stuff breaks.

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:32 PM
JustinL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinL Click here to Send JustinL a Private Message Find more posts by JustinL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kloubek
Fourth Gear

What I drive: A vehicle or two
Posts/Day: 1.14
Trader Rating: (35)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

As others have said, it all depends on the vehicle and its purpose.

My Jeep has 240k. But it is an occasional vehicle in a summer, and my winter beater. I would never want 240k on my daily driver.

For that, my Infiniti is up to 126k and that is already getting on the high side for my liking.

Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:32 PM
Kloubek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kloubek Click here to Send Kloubek a Private Message Find more posts by Kloubek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

100,000. 150,000 is where I sell usually. But lately , my new rule is one owner,60,000 or less.

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:03 AM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Completely depends on the vehicle. My last used vehicle was a Tacoma with 160k, I didn't even bat an eye. Drove it for 2 years put another 50k on it and sold it for nearly what I paid for it. There's a handful of vehicles I'd buy with 150-200k and not worry much about

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?

Originally posted by Toma
rx7_turbfoags best friend

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:14 AM
rx7_turbo2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7_turbo2 Click here to Send rx7_turbo2 a Private Message Find more posts by rx7_turbo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SKR
First Gear

What I drive: Trucks and junk
Posts/Day: 0.21

quote:

At a certain point the scary things in a high mileage vehicle will have been replaced. I'd be more uncomfortable with a lower mileage vehicle with expensive maintenance coming up, than a higher mileage vehicle that's had it done.

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:18 AM
SKR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SKR Click here to Send SKR a Private Message Find more posts by SKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (68)

quote:

New vehicle? Under 60k.

Older vehicle (7+ years)? Under 160k.

Beater? Who cares.

Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. SEO & Marketing Solutions by SimplifiedSEO.com

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:20 AM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:19 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: