Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router

Author
Thread
WhippWhapp
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 99%

Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router quote:

I subscribe to privateinternetaccess, a result of receiving copyright letters from time to time for various reasons. PIA works great but due of the limitations of the Telus router, each connected device needed to be set up individually.

Kijiji and Staples supplied a Nighthawk R7000 and a DWA-192 adapter, respectively. After an hour of flashing and set up, this new network blows the old powerline adapters out of the water, with every connected device routed through the VPN.

The powerlines would slow down and drop signal quite often in my particular configuration, so I wasn't totally happy.

Just thought I'd share my experience for those of you faced with the same troubles I had.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2017 08:42 PM
WhippWhapp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WhippWhapp Click here to Send WhippWhapp a Private Message Find more posts by WhippWhapp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Do you force https for torrenting?

Old Post 04-01-2017 10:47 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhippWhapp
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

I don't think so- since I have no clue what that is.

Old Post 04-02-2017 12:59 AM
WhippWhapp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WhippWhapp Click here to Send WhippWhapp a Private Message Find more posts by WhippWhapp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

What torrent client do you use?

Old Post 04-02-2017 02:00 AM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhippWhapp
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Utorrent

Old Post 04-04-2017 12:43 AM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Depends which version you use, but Options -> BitTorrent -> Protocol Encryption, set to Forced. Now your ISP cannot tell that you're torrenting.

You'll have to stop and restart any existing torrents running.

Old Post 04-04-2017 12:49 AM
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

As far as I know, the people who are sending out the notices are the same people that are seeding the public torrents (correct me if I'm wrong)

While encryption protect the traffic in a tunnel to avoid snoping, the studios themselves are now seeding popular public torrent and collect data on who has access their seed. Unless you go thru a VPN/Proxy service where your IP isn't used (which OP paid for), they can still trace it back to you.

The question is if your VPN provider narc on you without knowing.

If you are on Shaw, and leave a wide open wifi guest hotspot, you can kind of used that as defense. (Remember, it's only $5K damages in Canada for now, that's not enough $ for lawyer fees to shoot down this defense)

If you are paying for VPN and VPN narc on you, they have all the concrete evidence they need.

There is no 100% tracking-proofed torrenting any more. That's why so many people switched to streaming because you can never be the host and it doesn't break any current laws.

Last edited by Xtrema on 04-04-2017 at 03:29 AM

Old Post 04-04-2017 03:18 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhippWhapp
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
As far as I know, the people who are sending out the notices are the same people that are seeding the public torrents (correct me if I'm wrong)

While encryption protect the traffic in a tunnel to avoid snoping, the studios themselves are now seeding popular public torrent and collect data on who has access their seed. Unless you go thru a VPN/Proxy service where your IP isn't used (which OP paid for), they can still trace it back to you.

If you are on Shaw, and leave a wide open wifi guest hotspot, you can kind of used that as defense. (Remember, it's only $5K damages in Canada for now, that's not enough $ for lawyer fees to shoot down this defense)

If you are paying for VPN and VPN narc on you, they have all the concrete evidence they need.

^ what he said... Load the magnet link http://dev.cbcdn.com/ipmagnet/ and see for yourself.

Old Post 04-04-2017 03:28 AM
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.72
User Rating: 90%

quote:

just use Kodi, streaming is technically not in the definition of downloading which is how copyright is defined in our archaic copyright act.

Old Post 04-04-2017 03:45 AM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

There is no 100% tracking-proofed torrenting any more. That's why so many people switched to streaming because you can never be the host and it doesn't break any current laws.

Meh, the phishing torrents get weeded out pretty fast. Just download the same encoder.

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:42 PM
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I havent downloaded anything for viewing purposes for 5+ years now. Stream everything.

Old Post 04-04-2017 05:49 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 07:52 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: