Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Voles!!!

Author
Thread
BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)
User Rating: 99%

Voles!!! quote:

Now that the snow is finally gone, I can see the significant damage that's been done to my luscious lawn by all the fucking voles this past winter.

What are you guys doing to protect your lawn or kill the voles? Apparently there are specialized traps and bait out there for use as compared to the typical style mouse traps.

Anyone know where to but these specialized traps? I have a small dog and there is friendly neighborhood fat cat that roams around, so I don't want to inadvertently kill the wrong animal, am really looking for the voles traps. Have not seen those style of traps at homedepot or rona either, thinking may have to go to a pest control joint.

Also how do i fix the trails they've gnawed up? Just grass seed I guess?

Thanks.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2017 03:16 AM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.38
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

I had a vole problem once in my back yard. Tried everything but the solution was these sticks. They kind of looked like dynamite sticks and you lit one, placed it in a vole hole and cover up with dirt. It basically smokes them out through their tunnel network. I used them in a couple of different places and never heard from the again. I can't remember what it was called as this was maybe 10 years ago.

Old Post 04-02-2017 03:46 AM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Mouse traps work fine. I caught over 30 last year.

Rake up the dead stuff, reseed with soil, fertilize with something that has a middle number greater than zero. Water.

Old Post 04-02-2017 03:47 AM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

yeh my inlaws have had issues for a couple years, seems like nothing works!! if there are any good solutions i'd love to hear em too!

found this on youtube, might be worth a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMf2SuXVArU

Last edited by Thaco on 04-02-2017 at 05:38 AM

Old Post 04-02-2017 05:29 AM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

quote:

Wow those little dynamite things are awesome, wondering if those are available here in Calgary?

I also thought about trying this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

Old Post 04-02-2017 05:59 AM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by BokCh0y
Wow those little dynamite things are awesome, wondering if those are available here in Calgary?

I also thought about trying this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

As far as I know you can't buy them in the city as I believe there is some bylaw that prohibits their use within the city. We bought some at the strathmore UFA. The ones we used are called "the giant killer". Worked great for gophers.

Was going to say get a dog in there OP but sounds like you have one. Ours dug up and killed the voles in our yard shortly after we moved in.

Old Post 04-02-2017 07:53 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Had a vole problem 2 winters ago and I still have them. I keep traps and poison out 24/7/365. Used to catch lots. Now only the odd one but there still around.

Good luck!

Old Post 04-02-2017 03:30 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

You can get the Giant Destroyer at Rona. I had voles under the front steps and the Giant Destroyer got rid of any signs of them for week or so but they come back after.

I got a sulphur smell in my basement after using the Giant Destroyer under the steps, so I wouldn't risk CO with the tail pipe trick unless the hole is far away from the house.

Bought one of those ultrasonic motion detectors and it got rid of them for good.

Old Post 04-02-2017 05:18 PM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigbadboss101
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 114%

quote:

We caught 3 last year with trap and peanut butter. I am afraid there are many more. Don't want to use poison. The smoke or the sound method might be an option. Will look more into it next few weeks.

Old Post 04-02-2017 05:50 PM
bigbadboss101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigbadboss101 Click here to Send bigbadboss101 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadboss101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

quote:

Thanks for the tips, I'll run out this week to see if I can find one of those smoke bomb things.

As for smoking them out with exhaust...that was more of a joke haha. I'm not redneck enough to shit like that, although it would be fun to gas out the voles.

My dog btw is a little bichon x toy poodle, she digs nothing. And I'm pretty sure the voles would scare her instead of her trying to chase and kill them haha. She's like a fluffly cat minus the murderer mentality.

Old Post 04-03-2017 12:19 AM
Waldi
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

Originally posted by BokCh0y
Thanks for the tips, I'll run out this week to see if I can find one of those smoke bomb things.

As for smoking them out with exhaust...that was more of a joke haha. I'm not redneck enough to shit like that, although it would be fun to gas out the voles.

My dog btw is a little bichon x toy poodle, she digs nothing. And I'm pretty sure the voles would scare her instead of her trying to chase and kill them haha. She's like a fluffly cat minus the murderer mentality.

Use mouse traps with no bite just place them in those trails with trigger in the trail, possibly few next to each other. Since you have dogs and cats, may have to use some cover to protect. I used to catch 4-5 a day using this method.

Old Post 04-03-2017 12:49 AM
Waldi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Waldi Click here to Send Waldi a Private Message Find more posts by Waldi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KPHMPH

What I drive: Merc S550, Merc SL550, F-450, ML63
Posts/Day: 0.14
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I had them down in Mahogany - I used those dynamite sticks, they are CO2 bombs.... they basically suffocate the voles and their babies. It was the best way to get rid of them AS LONG as you know where all their holes are.

Old Post 04-03-2017 02:45 AM
KPHMPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KPHMPH Click here to Send KPHMPH a Private Message Find more posts by KPHMPH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
craigcd
First Gear

What I drive: KTM
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (14)

quote:

I think I have them under my shed. I am going to buy a couple and see if i cant bomb them out!

Old Post 04-03-2017 02:47 AM
craigcd is online now Click Here to See the Profile for craigcd Click here to Send craigcd a Private Message Find more posts by craigcd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

quote:

Yeah i'll try the trap thing for sure, but gonna try the smoke bomb thing too!!! I can only find the one hole, but I'm pretty sure the fucker dug one from one side of the driveway to the other. My lazy neighbors have holes all around their driveway, I'm pretty sure they're part of the reason.

Old Post 04-03-2017 03:21 AM
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Looked into my back yard a few days ago and wondered wtf happened, but didn't think too much of it.

Today I learned I have voles too

Old Post 04-03-2017 02:54 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Now that the snow is (was) gone front and back, after three years I am finally free of voles

I think they live fairly close so check under structures/walkways/driveways and gardens where they have their little hovels and either remove them or destroy their home.

Old Post 04-03-2017 03:33 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Guys, voles don't make underground tunnels. If you have tunnels then you have something more annoying, like ground squirrels.

Old Post 04-03-2017 07:33 PM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Are these dudes thinking of Moles? Those can fuck up your yard, although I don't think they are that common.

Old Post 04-03-2017 07:39 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigbadboss101
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 114%

quote:

Originally posted by suntan
Guys, voles don't make underground tunnels. If you have tunnels then you have something more annoying, like ground squirrels.

The make grooves like this and I have seen one in the front yard. In the back is where we caught 3 using trap and cheap peanut butter not the organic natural stuff we eat :-)

http://www.getridofthings.com/pests...t-rid-of-voles/

Old Post 04-03-2017 07:56 PM
bigbadboss101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigbadboss101 Click here to Send bigbadboss101 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadboss101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Definitely voles. and they do dig tunnels, however only slightly below the surface of the grass.

https://www.thespruce.com/vole-cont...f-voles-2131148

Old Post 04-03-2017 08:30 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 07:06 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Voles!!!

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: