Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Radon?

Author
Thread
imranm

What I drive: 2014 Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

Radon? quote:

Lots about it on the news these days.

Has anyone actually tested? If so please share your results and neighbourhood.

I'm testing right now but it's a long term testing kit (3 months) up in West Springs

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2017 04:18 AM
imranm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for imranm Click here to Send imranm a Private Message Find more posts by imranm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Escape

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Neighbourhood wouldn't tell much

Some times 1 house has high levels, next door it is normal

Old Post 04-03-2017 04:29 AM
Escape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Escape Click here to Send Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

What I drive: '10 CTS
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Got one of those mail-in test kits from Home Depot.
Came back at 108Bq/m3. Under the recommended max. I may do another test in the future.

Old Post 04-03-2017 04:36 AM
The_Penguin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yellowsnow
First Gear

What I drive: WRX, Audi A4 Avant
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Ordered a test kit on amazon a few weeks ago... I think another 4/5 months before I send it in. The longer the better the reading apparently

Old Post 04-03-2017 04:55 AM
yellowsnow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yellowsnow Click here to Send yellowsnow a Private Message Find more posts by yellowsnow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
User Rating: 97%

quote:

New homes should be tested to pass the final building permit inspection.

Old Post 04-03-2017 01:53 PM
Darell_n is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
powerslave
Neutral

What I drive: 2009 Impreza
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Had a 3-month test done as part of the UofC study about a year ago. Results came in at about 175 Bq/m3.

Old Post 04-03-2017 06:32 PM
powerslave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for powerslave Click here to Send powerslave a Private Message Visit powerslave's homepage! Find more posts by powerslave Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

My house was 123 +/- 16 Bq/m3

It's such a cheap fix for radon mitigation I wonder when it will become standard for all new homes in the area. I think it's only $2000 after the fact, and probably $250-300 if done during the build.

Old Post 04-03-2017 06:41 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Originally posted by kenny
My house was 123 +/- 16 Bq/m3

It's such a cheap fix for radon mitigation I wonder when it will become standard for all new homes in the area. I think it's only $2000 after the fact, and probably $250-300 if done during the build.

The latest building code requires that the under slab ventilation (basically gravel & capped pipe in basement) is required. So the ‘rough in’ in mandatory but the ventilation to the exterior is not.

Old Post 04-03-2017 06:45 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

So it's just a vent from below your basement slob to the outside air? Is that right?

Wonder if a house with weeping tile and sump pump is better or worse?

Old Post 04-03-2017 06:47 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

My last house was as in the 300's and my current house was in the 400-500 range.
I bought this for a detector: https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Siren-...;keywords=radon

I had quotes from Radon West and Radon Controls and went with Radon Controls. I found it was still expensive despite being roughed in since I'm in a new build. I even supplied my own fan that I bought for the old house. Paid $1470 with Radon Controls and Radon West wanted $2k still.

I am currently sitting at 29 Bq/m3.

Last edited by phreezee on 04-03-2017 at 07:01 PM

Old Post 04-03-2017 06:54 PM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Fear generation is high with this.
"You're breathing Hydrogen into your lungs". That would generate fear in people too.

It's called running a fan, furnace cold air sources help and opening basement windows in the summer.
You'll all live.

http://www.inspection-perfection.co...ml#.WOO1_TjnZQs

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:07 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
imranm

What I drive: 2014 Lexus IS250
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by phreezee
My last house was as in the 300's and my current house was in the 400-500 range.
I bought this for a detector: https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Siren-...;keywords=radon

I had quotes from Radon West and Radon Controls and went with Radon Controls. I found it was still expensive despite being roughed in since I'm in a new build. I even supplied my own fan that I bought for the old house. Paid $1470 with Radon Controls and Radon West wanted $2k still.

I am currently sitting at 29 Bq/m3.

Thanks. Did they vent out the basement all the way up to the roof or just out the side wall?

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:50 PM
imranm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for imranm Click here to Send imranm a Private Message Find more posts by imranm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Both Radon West and Radon Controls do side wall only. Radon West quoted something like 80% dissipation within 5 feet once vented. Radon Controls looked at the install on my neighbors house and said Radon West's vent was too close to the basement window so they seem to follow stricter guidelines.

Old Post 04-05-2017 02:27 AM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by mr2mike
Fear generation is high with this.
"You're breathing Hydrogen into your lungs". That would generate fear in people too.

It's called running a fan, furnace cold air sources help and opening basement windows in the summer.
You'll all live.

http://www.inspection-perfection.co...ml#.WOO1_TjnZQs

One of the first things I tried was to run the furnace fan and my levels never got under the acceptable limit on my old house.

I then tried to install a timer on the basement bathroom fan and ran that to exhaust 8hrs a day. This actually made the problem worse by creating a vacuum that sucked more radon in lol.

Old Post 04-05-2017 02:33 AM
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Do homes not have a vapour barrier under the slab like commercial buildings do? I don't see where gas is seeping into the house.

Old Post 04-05-2017 12:45 PM
Darell_n is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Originally posted by Darell_n
Do homes not have a vapour barrier under the slab like commercial buildings do? I don't see where gas is seeping into the house.

They do but it'll have a 1000 puncture holes in it and not be sealed at the perimeter or any pipe penetrations.

Old Post 04-05-2017 04:26 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.92

quote:

Every time I hear radon I think of this:

Michael: Toby has been leaving radon kits everywhere, like he owns the place. The first time I threw mine away, I thought it was an ant trap. [finds radon kit in between his blinds in his office] But I figured I'd rather live with ants than with his creepy little disc. [throws it away] The second time... I thought it was one of those, you know, those things you turn over and it moos. [finds another radon kit on top of his cabinet] Like a cow thing. But upon closer examination, it was another ant trap, so I threw it away. And the third time... I did it out of spite. [takes radon kit from the top of the blinds of his office window and slams it into the trash can]

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Old Post 04-05-2017 04:44 PM
NoPulp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Lots of fear mongering around this lately. Any real truth? The research posted on the EPA site looks pretty misleading in terms of conclusions based on the poorly controlled datasets

Old Post 04-05-2017 05:29 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

Meh, its just a little radiation. Gives a nice healthy glow.

Old Post 04-05-2017 05:56 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
Lots of fear mongering around this lately. Any real truth? The research posted on the EPA site looks pretty misleading in terms of conclusions based on the poorly controlled datasets

Probably being oversold a bit by companies that are into mitigation.

However, if done early as part of the build process now that rough-in is code there wouldn't be much cost (fan and pipe to exterior). Even after the fact without the rough in is about $2000... some people will probably spend close to that over 20 years on useless filtrete filters.

Old Post 04-05-2017 06:53 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:03 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Radon?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: